Long Tail Cast On

Knitting begins with the cast on.  Like many knitting techniques, there are lots of ways to cast on; we thought we'd just start with this one.  Any yarn and any needles will do.  Just be patient and don't pull too tight on the yarn.

8 Responses to Long Tail Cast On

1. Sue says:

I just got done visiting your we site and found it facinating. I had seen it mentioned at other sites and decided today was going to be the day that I checked it out. Needless to say, I am going to be a frequent visitor. Keep up your amazing work! Thank you very much.

2. Katarina says:

I just found a pattern where they ask for casting on with two threads. You seem like someone who knows a lot. Have you ever heard of such a method? And if yes, do you know where I could find a good tutorial? Thanks.

Hi Katarina,
    Can you give us a little more info? Does the pattern give the cast-on a name, does it have any directions at all? What is the pattern for?

4. Angelika says:

Hi, just been looking at the pattern for needle/hook bag and I have no idea how to start off casting onto three needles? Could you post sone pictures or steps how to do that?
    Thanks
    A/x
    P.S. I stumbled across your site today and love and will be recommending it to all of my craft-friends here in the UK!

5. Jen B says:

My question is, how long of a tail should I use so I cast on the correct number of stitches without a lot of waste? Any formula? Or do I have to keep casting on until I leave a long enough tail? I keep having to undo it because I am not using a long enough tail….as fun as casting on is over and over. :)

Hi Jen B-

The rule is to use 3 times the length of the final cast on edge. So if you're making a scarf that's 6-inches wide you'd start with an 18-inch tail.

7. Kiki says:

Hi, I was just wondering, is this the one you use in the DPN tutorial?

Hi Kiki-

Yes, this is the cast on we use for almost everything!

Thanks for your question!