Granny Squares

gran01.jpg

You can make granny squares big, small, tight, loose, from a single color or many colors. The only guidelines are to find a beautiful, natural yarn you'll really want to cuddle, and have a fun time inventing each unique square.

gran2.jpg

The Materials

natural fiber yarn
For a warm coverlet, try merino wool, cashmere, or alpaca.  For a light summer throw, try cotton and silk or bamboo.

crochet hook in a size appropriate for your yarn.
For bulky weight yarn, try a 8 - 10 mm hook.
For worsted weight yarn, try a 4.5 - 5.5 mm hook.
For sport weight yarn, try a 4 mm hook.
For lace weight yarn, try a 2 - 5 mm hook.

Notes

Visit our Crochet Basics Tutorial for help with the techniques used in this project.

ABBREVIATIONS

dc     double crochet

sc     single crochet

sl st    slip stitch

gran3.jpg

Remember, you can add as many rounds as you like to your square.  Here is a pattern for up to 4 rounds.  You may want to make squares that are all one color, or a different color for each round.

Classic Granny Square Pattern

FOUNDATION CHAIN: Chain 4; join into a ring with a slip stitch.

gran4.jpg

ROUND 1: Ch 4, (3 dc into center of ring, ch 1) 3 times; 2 dc into center of ring; join to third chain of beginning chain with a slip stitch.

gran5.jpg

gran6.jpg

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE WITH THE SAME COLOR:
Slip stitch from the end of the round until you reach the ch1 stitch at a corner. Continue with the next round.

IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE COLORS:
Cut yarn, leaving a tail, and draw it all the way through the slip stitch to secure it. Join the new color at a corner by drawing a stitch through a ch1 stitch. Continue with the next round.

ROUND 2: Ch 3, work corner (dc2, ch1, dc3) into the same stitch, work remaining corners: *ch1, skip over the 3 dc from the previous round, (dc3, ch1, dc3) into the same stitch; repeat from * two more times, ch1, join to third chain of beginning chain with a slip stitch.

gran7.jpg

gran8.jpg

gran9.jpg

AGAIN...

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE WITH THE SAME COLOR:
Slip stitch from the end of the round until you reach the ch1 stitch at a corner.  Continue with the next round.

IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE COLORS:
Cut yarn, leaving a tail, and draw it all the way through the slip stitch to secure it.  Join the new color at a corner by drawing a stitch through a ch1 stitch. Continue with the next round.

ROUND 3: Ch 3,  work corner (dc2, ch1, dc3) into the same stitch, work remaining sides:* ch1, skip over the 3 dc from the previous round, dc3, ch1, work corner (dc3, ch1, dc3); repeat from * two more times, ch1, join to third chain of beginning chain with a slip stitch.

gran10.jpg

gran11.jpg

gran12.jpg

gran13.jpg

AND AGAIN...

IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE WITH THE SAME COLOR:

IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE COLORS:

ROUND 4: Ch 3,  work corner (dc2, ch1, dc3) into the same stitch, work remaining sides: *ch1, skip over the 3 dc from the previous round, dc3, ch1, skip over the 3 dc from previous round, dc3, ch1, work corner (dc3, ch1, dc3); repeat from * two more times, ch1, join to third chain of beginning chain with a slip stitch.

gran3.jpg

17 Responses to Granny Squares

1. m&m says:

thank you yarn bee for such easy to follow instructions on granny squares!!!!!what fun

2. Jane says:

How do you go about connecting all the squares once you have finished them? I love the photo above and am trying to achieve that same gradient color scheme and different sizes. But any advice you could give about actually creating the blanket would be appreciated.

3. VBee says:

Your photo really showcases the differences between yarns. Could you tell us which yarns are in your main picture?

Hi VBee,
    Its been awhile since we posted it, but I think this is what we’ve got, with links to each yarn.

Upper left, Koigu

Upper right, Kid Silk Haze

Middle left, Haiku

Middle, koigu
    see above

Middle right, Kid Seta

Bottom Left, Kersti

Bottom Right, Blue Sky Alpaca Sport

5. Kathy says:

Wow what a wonderful site. After creating many very disappointing rugs I have now found your site and hopefully I am on my wasy to creating the perfect Granny rug. Thank you !!
    Kathy

6. Emma says:

I was also wondering how to join the granny squares together.
    Thanks

Hi Emma-

Here is an explanation of one way to sew granny squares together, it's under the “Assembling” section:

Also, you could use a slip stitch instead of the single crochet that is detailed in the link above.

Thanks so much for your question!

8. Sarah says:

I really like making granny squares,your post shows that you really can make them with any yarn and achieve such lovely effects! Colour choices are fab!!

9. Jessica Shevlin says:

Hello! Thank you for the fantastic tutorial! I linked to your tutorial in my blog post here.

10. Patty says:

I have enjoyed your website for quite a while.I love seeing all of the beautiful things you make. I just went through your tutorial for making granny squares and it was great! I'm new to the crochet world and was able to follow your tutorial. Thanks for making it so simple!

11. Augathee says:

Thanks for the very detailed information. I can now crochet the Granny Square.

12. Liubov Kabir says:

Nice samples and clear tutorial! Thanks!!;)

13. caroline says:

need help to crochet a granny square

14. lesley says:

when i do a large granny square blanket it always twists turns and the corners go point… it never looks like a square. the only way i can get around this is to turn my work as i go. but then i never get a "right side" or a "wrong side"

15. What a lovely tut. I've linked to it in my recent post :-)

16. Caroline says:

Thank you for these easy to follow instructions. It took me 18 months but I finally managed to complete a blanket!

I have mentioned you in my recent post here:

17. Laura says:

Lesley, I am also having problems with pointed corners when making one large square. I have been making granny squares for years and this is the first time I have encountered this problem!