Swampy Summer with Purl Frogs!

frog11.jpg

We named these amiable amphibians Rosemarie and Hilaire, after the friendly neighbor who shared the pattern with us, and Hilaire Belloc, the author of the poem that accompanied the pattern:

The Frog

Be kind and tender to the Frog,
And do not call him names,
As "Slimy skin," or "Polly-wog,"
Or likewise "Ugly James,"
Or "Gap-a-grin," or "Toad-gone-wrong,"
Or "Bill Bandy-knees":
The Frog is justly sensitive
To epithets like these.

No animal will more repay
A treatment kind and fair,
At least so lonely people say
Who keep a frog (and by the way,
they are extremely rare).

frog9.jpg

frog2.jpg

FINISHED MEASUREMENTS
The Purl Frog measures about 7 1/2 inches long.
PATTERN PIECES
Click here for The Purl Frog Pattern Pieces and a set of printable directions.

MATERIALS

one 1/2 yard Liberty of London Tana Lawn fabric

thread

patchwork pins

3/4 cup of dried mung beans, lentils, or buckwheat

two beads for the eyes

frog1.jpg

1. Wash, dry, and press the fabric for the frog.
  2. Using the Purl Frog Template, cut two Frog Bodies from the fabric.
  3. Pin the two pattern pieces right sides together.
  4. Stitch a 1/4 inch seam around the frog, beginning at the inseam of one leg and finishing at the inseam of the other, leaving a gap at the base of the body.  Remember to back stitch at the beginning and end of the seam.
  5. Clip into the curves of the arms and legs to ease the fabric a bit, then turn the frog right side out.

frog5.jpg

1. Fill the frog about 85% full with dried beans.
  2. With needle and thread, hand sew the hole closed.

frog4.jpg

You may choose to embroider the eyes.  We chose green beads and sewed them on with closely matching thread.

Sew the beads to the top of the head, toward the seams, to imitate a frog's wide-set eyes.

frog7.jpg

Enjoy your new frog friend!

13 Responses to Swampy Summer with Purl Frogs!

1. Siri says:

I had one of these when I was little and, remembering it, made a whole pile of them when our son turned four and chose a "frog" birthday. The pattern I have has a little bit more pointy nose and comes from a vintage craft book.
    Thanks for sharing your version.

2. Holy cow, those froggies are cute!

3. Gaile says:

I love frogs! I collect them (even have a froggie tattoo). These are adorable.

Thank you for the pattern, I’ll definitely be making at least one!

4. Lisa K. says:

Oh, no! They’re toooo cute!

*runs off to make one*

5. Katie says:

Wow! These are super-cute. There aren’t nearly enough frogs in the world. Thanks for helping to fix that particular problem! :-)

Thanks everybody!

Mmmm … lavendar seems like a nice substitute for dried beans.

7. Kim says:

Thanks so much for posting this adorable pattern. About 20 years ago while visiting England with my husband, I purchased a bean filled Liberty of London frog. He still graces a shelf in our home. I will have such fun making these and giving them to friends. I may even make a mate for my old English frog.

8. cindy k says:

they are so cute. thanks for the pattern. ribbit!

9. Kathy Merrick says:

These frogs are sweet and lovely.
    I once had a similar grenouille that I bought in Avignon. It was filled with lavender which sent out its happy-inducing scent whenever you picked it up.

Thanks everybody!

Mmmm … lavendar seems like a nice substitute for dried beans.

11. Lucette says:

I recently made a frog puppet for my little nephew and he really liked it. Your frogs are very charming, and I have to hop over to the craft room to give this pattern a try.

12. Nicola Wood says:

Thank you so much for this pattern! I couldn't believe my luck when I searched for a 'Liberty frog' and your post appeared! I was showing my Mum my Liberty fabric when she said that she didn't know what had happened to her frog. I remember it well from when I was a child. I decided I'd like to make another one for her, so a big Thank you once again x

13. Shelly N says:

I made 75 of these adorable cuties for a banquet as table favors. Everyone loved them. I used rice as a filler so they could be used as little hot packs when microwaved for a short time. It's fun using pretty designed fabric in different colors. They are so easy to make and it was hard giving them away but fun to see how much everyone loved them! Thank you for the pattern~