Arriving at Purl Any Minute Now! Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts!

cover.jpg
We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of Joelle's new book, Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts! According to the UPS website, our shipment will be arriving at both Purl Patchwork and purlsoho.com on Monday September 10th!

Joelle's second book is a beautiful collection of heartfelt gifts that can accommodate any busy crafter's schedule and skills. You'll find a wealth of inspiration and patterns for all sorts of projects, arranged according to the amount of time required to complete them, from about 2 to 12 hours.

We are thrilled to offer our customers an opportunity to pre-order signed copies of Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts. Just follow this link to our secure order page!

PURL BEE EXCLUSIVE GLIMPSE AT LAST MINUTE PATCHWORK + QUILTED GIFTS (WE'VE GOT CONNECTIONS!)

GORGEOUS PROJECTS TO GIVE OR KEEP
There are 30 inspiring projects to appeal to various skill levels and styles, from pincushions to bedspreads! Here are just a few:

LMPQGpincushions.jpg

Kelly's Pincushions - From the 2-to-4 Hours Gifts chapter, created by Joelle's dear friend Kelly McKaig.  These pincushions will make a special and useful gift for all of your sewing friends!

ruby.jpg

Super Quick + Easy Baby Quilt - From the 2-to-4 Hours Gifts chapter.  It really is!

puzzleball.jpg

Puzzle Ball - From the 4-to-8 Hour Gifts chapter.  This piece makes a great gift for children and babies.

Follow-The-Lines Baby Quilt - From the More-than-12 Hours Gifts chapter.  This project was lovingly hand-quilted by our friend and Purl Patchwork's quilting teacher Cassandra Thoreson. Its a great way to make an intimate acquaintance with this charming print from Alexander Henry.

colorwheel.jpg

Color-Wheel Quilt - This is one of our favorite projects from the More than 12 Hours Gifts chapter.

CONTRIBUTIONS FROM TWO OF OUR FAVORITE DESIGNER/BLOGGERS!
The book also includes two very special patterns from designers Hillary Lang of Wee Wonderfuls and Kathy Mack of Pink Chalk Studio.

elephant.jpgPeanut, the Wee Elephant

From the 4-to-8 Hours Gifts Chapter. Hilary Lang's bashful baby elephant just couldn't be sweeter!   The book includes full-size templates to assist you in making your own sweet elephant.

pencilroll.jpgColored Pencil Roll

From the 2-to-4 Hour Gifts chapter.  Kathy Mack created this beautiful linen tool pouch for your favorite young artist with a bright surprise on the inside.

TECHNIQUES, TOOLS, AND MATERIALS
Readers will find that in addition to the rich projects in the book, a substantial section is dedicated to dissecting the essential tools and techniques that every confident crafter must know. Even in describing the elements of a basic tool kit or discussing pinning techniques, Joelle shares her own indispensable tips on how to cut corners without sacrificing quality.  Everything from preparing fabric, cutting, sewing, and quilting are detailed with "techniques that I rely on most often" in addition to techniques that are "simple and direct".

LMPQGtools.jpg

Insights on choosing the perfect materials for every project will help build a fundamental knowledge of natural materials, like silk, wool, and even vintage fabrics.  Cotton thread, cotton batting and stuffing, and cotton prints are traditional sewing materials that find fresh life among Joelle's sensible, stylish projects.

AND MUCH MORE!
There is just so much to see and do, whether you have a whole afternoon or just an hour!  Making and giving handmade gifts is so rewarding; we hope Joelle's new book will inspire you in your endeavors!

64 Responses to Arriving at Purl Any Minute Now! Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts!

1. Dr. B. says:

Man oh man. This will be my second order from you in as many weeks, because come on! How can I not order that book?! Can’t not! That’s how.

2. jen says:

yay! we are waiting on pins and needles (pun intended)here at the warehouse!

xo
    jen
    purlsoho.com

3. Ashley says:

That color wheel quilt is just killing me-I cannot WAIT to get my hands on this book! I’m excited to see Kathy’s pattern in there too.

4. The book looks so beautiful! I can’t wait to see all of the projects!

5. Margaret says:

Well, I guess it’s finally time for me to learn how to sew. Those projects are gorgeous!

6. AVG says:

Must.have.this…now!!

7. jen says:

yay! we are waiting on pins and needles (pun intended)here at the warehouse!

xo
    jen
    purlsoho.com

8. Maritza says:

My heart has just skipped a beat! Those projects are phenomenal, and so beautifully photographed. I want this book. I LOVE the color wheel quilt.

9. Jeanine says:

OMG!!! I can’t WAIT. That color wheel quilt is breathtaking!!!!

Wow! Thank you all for your very enthusiastic comments! I TRULY appreciate it! xoxo Joelle

11. jenna says:

The color wheel quilt is brilliant.

12. Heather Bailey says:

Congratulations, Joelle! I can’t wait to get myself a copy :)

13. Annabelle says:

What beautiful projects! I too must learn to sew. PurlBee has opened my eyes to so many great textile designers–now I need to the book so I can figure out what to do with them all!

14. Liesl says:

Ok, I saw the book today when I was in the shop. It’s even BETTER than I imagined! Amazing work, Joelle and friends! Congratulations!

15. … the book is absolutely gorgeous … i got to see the real pages and the projects are indeed all fabulous … now to find the time to make them … thank you for another gem of a book … happy days indeed … mille baci! … oh … must "file" for the autographed copy!

16. Ellen says:

I love love love that color wheel quilt. I am a color scientist, so I might just have to make that when my quilting skills improve!

17. Kathy Merrick says:

Yay yay again! I saw proofs of this some months ago. It’s another Purl gem.
    As always, I adore the color combo on the cover.
    Baby, you’re the greatest.

18. cindy k says:

oooh … i’m hyperventilating – that color wheel is so awesome! craft = art.

19. Fiona King says:

Just what I would expect. Joelle is a true artist with an eye for perfection! Can not wait to get started! What is Joelle’s next project?

20. rfg says:

Eeee I am so excited! Congratulations on the new book Joelle! – rhea

21. amandajean says:

the book looks fantastic. I can’t wait to look through it! the color wheel quilt is fantastic. I love it.

22. Congratulations, Joelle! I can’t wait to get myself a copy :)

23. pixie says:

at the beginning of November, I’m coming to pick up my copy from the shop. I can’t wait. See the influence you have! Pixie, in New Zealand.

24. Kim says:

Can’t wait to buy my copy! I’ll be in the store later this week :-)

25. liz elayne says:

this book looks fantastic!! cannot wait to see it in person…

26. Amy says:

Oh, wow! The book looks fantastic! I can hardly wait to get a copy :)

27. Sandy says:

Congrats Joelle! Had a sneak peek and love the projects. Cannot wait to visit the shop soon for supplies.

28. JenniferDC says:

I know this book is going to be great. I have had a space saved on my bookshelf next to Last Minute Knitted Gifts since the day I heard this was in the works…I knew there was no way I would be able to resist the purchase! Thanks for the continued guidance and inspiration.

29. nina says:

What a fabulous book. Can’t wait to thumb through it!

30. Dani says:

I would love to know what fabrics are used on the front cover….can anyone tell me? They are so lovely!

31. Tracy says:

This book has been on my wish list for-ever now (or so it seems) I am SO-OOO excited that it will soon be available to sift through!

32. jen says:

how exciting! i’ve added it to my wishlist. i need to start making things from the craftbooks that I buy.

33. Katie says:

Congratulations, Joelle!

The book looks wonderful – I can’t wait to check it out.

34. Haley says:

I don’t sew or quilt, but this book looks wonderful. It’s tempting me to try a new craft. Lovely!

35. Samantha says:

I’m in LOVE! :)

36. happy zombie says:

What a wonderful book and the photography is stunning! This definitely looks like a book for my wish list!

37. Corvus says:

That does look quite inspiring.

38. Suzanne says:

I LOVE this book! My copy arrived on Friday, and I’m totally inspired to start sewing. I’m sure I’m going to be using this one just as much as I’ve used Last Minute Knitted Gifts.
    Oh, and my 13-year old daughter loves the book, too. She wants to start right in with the little birds, and the pins & needles books.

39. Denise says:

I just bought the book on Friday…What inspiring projects and gorgeous photography!
    I can’t wait to make the adorable pin cushions..right after I knit up the EIGHTEEN balls of 12 ply Jade Sapphire cashmere I just received….LOVE IT!

40. Mia says:

Love the book! Ran out to buy it yesterday and am eager to start on so many of the projects – feels lovely in the hand too (yah, hardcover!). Love love love.

41. Amy says:

So many wonderful things just in this snippet! Can’t wait to see it.

42. Alicia P. says:

I just got my copy today and it is absolutely exquisite. Many congratulations — you all are such inspirations to so many. Thank you!

43. I just got my copyyesterday, and I had to drop by to tell you that it is absolutely gorgeous, easy to read and completely inspiring – I can’t wait to get started. Congratulations!

44. Martha Stewart says:

Anna Williams is the greatest photographer in the history of our magazine. She never ceases to amaze me!

45. dara says:

Love that Color Wheel Quilt in Joelle Hoverson’s new book! What are its finished dimensions? I looked everywhere but could not find anything about size. It looks like a wall quilt in the picture but I have a feeling that is deceptive, since the fabric requirements seem substantial. Thanks!

Dear Dara,
    The finished size of the Color Wheel quilt is approximately 56 inches square.

47. I received my book and I just had to say it is beautiful. I can’t stop looking over it which makes it very hard to choose which project to try first.
    Thanks so much

48. Blabby says:

I love the book. Gorgeous. I’m cutting pieces already. I think Little Bits and the Wee Peanut are my favorites. THANK YOU!

49. Christian says:

What is the name of the fabric on the backside of the Follow the Lines Baby Quilt. I saw it once at a fabric store and now cannot find it anywhere:( I believe the front is Alexander Henry Ava. I love the blanket, so cute.

Dear Christian,
    The fabric on the back of the quilt is called "Arvika" by Alexander Henry. Its out of print now, but you may be able to find some out there somewhere…