Embroidered Covered Buttons

Buttons
Since Purl Patchwork opened I have deepened my love of embroidery. I own almost every Valdani's embroidery thread color in existence. I like seeing how small my stitches can be and embroidering tiny things. As my skills were improving I started thinking of different ways to use embroidery and I came up with these embroidered covered buttons.

I thought making covered buttons would be an involved process until I heard about covered button kits. They make  covering a button really really easy. Once I got the kits I was on a roll and I made over 150 buttons! -Molly

But-But

The Materials

but3

Prepping the Fabric

but5.jpg
The back of the Cover Button Kit has a template outline printed on it. Cut it out carefully.

but8.jpg

Trace the template 6- 10 times on to your fabric, at least 3" from the fabric's edges.   I like to prepare for more buttons than I'm actually making so I have room to mess up.

but7.jpg

Center the button shell in each circle and trace around it. This will be your embroidery area. (As a side note, can you find me in the above picture?)

but9

And now draw your design inside of each inner circle. I drew little flowers but you could do whatever you like: initials, animals, fruits, hearts, stars... anything you can fit into a 5/8" space.

Embroidering

but10

Center the circles in your embroidery hoop and pull the fabric tight like a drum.

But13

Thread your embroidery needle with an 18" length of embroidery thread. You do not want to add any bulk behind the embroidery so just tie the simplest of knots at the end of the thread.

but12.jpg

Now, using a simple back stitch, embroider the flowers. If you are new to embroidery check out our Embroidery Tutorial.

but14

but15

After the embroidery is done pull your thread through your work on the back and snip the thread. There is no need to tie a knot.

But16

One you have six embroideries that you're happy with you'll be ready for the next step.

Cutting the Fabric

But17

Cut out the circles from the fabric. Spray these little medallions with water. The blue lines will magically disappear.

But18
Iron them to dry them out.

Assemble the Buttons

To assemble the buttons follow the illustrations below:

Above:

• Pusher
  • Back
  • Mold
  • Button Shell
  • Fabric

but-long2
Center the Fabric on top of the Button Shell

But-Long3
Stuff the Button Shell and Fabric (embroidery side down) into the Mold together.

But-Long4
Tuck the Fabric's edges neatly inside of the Button Shell

DSC_0086.jpg
Place the Back squarely inside of the Mold

But-long5
And then place the Pusher on top of the whole thing

DSC_0093.jpg
Push the Pusher down firmly. Try to apply pressure evenly. You should hear a little pop when the whole thing comes together.

But20
Pull the finished button out of the Mold. Here is a picture of what the back should look like:
But21

Repeat six times and you'll have six beautiful handmade buttons!
But-But

22 Responses to Embroidered Covered Buttons

1. Amy Hodge says:

Adorable!! I love covered buttons too — they look so fancy but are so easy!

2. Amy Hodge says:

Adorable!! I love covered buttons too — they look so fancy but are so easy!

3. lucy says:

such tiny little beauties!

4. You guys are right on top of my interests, I tell ya. A couple of weeks ago it was Sashiko and now this. Thank you!

5. anina says:

I love these!
    There was an embroidered button swap in blogland a while ago. See some photos here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/575221@N22/

6. Kathy Merrick says:

Whoa, as a Valdani junkie myself, I am fascinated by your lovely lovely buttons.
    Chic, branches (accent aigue over the "e"), a (accent grave) la page!

7. Terri W says:

Those are adorable! Your journal makes them look easy… and the results are so rewarding.

8. Pamie G. says:

From your beautiful main page to everything I read — you are definitely my favorite blog and I always enjoy seeing you show up as something new on my Blog Reader! Kudos to you!!! Pamie G.

9. I especially love the blue flowers. Such teeny-tiny beauties!

10. natalie says:

these are so cute! i just came across another site that showed covered buttons as hair pins and was thinking i couldn’t wait to try making them!

11. Avice says:

150 buttons is a little insane, but they are really lovely. The acorn and what I like to think of the forget-me-nots are among my favorites. It would be fun to see how you have used them.

12. Ashley says:

I LOVE these. I’m an embroidery addict myself. I’m going to try this one for sure!

13. mycraftyways says:

They’re so cute !
    I love the blue flowers on a red background !
    Thanks for the inspiration,

14. linda lu says:

These are adorable! What a great idea.

15. Betty says:

OH, SO CUTE and how clever to do all the embroidery at the same time …I guess one at a time would be pretty crazy wouldn’t it?

16. meredith says:

these are gorgeous!! i LOVE covering buttons, now i’m going to have to try this…

meredith @bittycakes

17. Wendy says:

I love them. I bought a blouse a few months ago just because I thought it was simple enough to showcase some embroidered covered buttons. Now I need to get moving on them!

18. Ellie says:

These are great! I love the texture of hand embroidery and have been doing a bunch myself. Thanks for continuing to bring such great products and ideas out! This blog and shop is very inspiring.

19. molly says:

Lovely, lovely, lovely! Those buttons are bound to spruce up more of your beautiful creations. I linked to your luxurious wool blanket in my latest post. Thank you so much for your thorough tutorial. It made for a wonderful project.

20. So cute. Great idea. Love your blog!

21. katie trott says:

I was just thinking of making these myself, using some of the vintage embroidered linens that I collect. Most of the pieces are stained, so I don’t mind cutting them up! Thanks for your inspiration!

22. Lily says:

How cute!!! The embroidery looks like frosting on some of the pictures. Love!