Make 1 Right (m1R) + Make 1 Left (m1L)

Sometimes, for decorative effect, you may want to make increases that lean either right or left. Here's how to do it!

To "make 1 right" (m1R), pick up the bar between the last stitch you knit and the one you're about to knit, bringing the needle from the back to the front.

PLHm1ra.jpg

Then knit into the front of this stitch.

PLHm1rb.jpg

To "make 1 left" (m1L), pick up the bar between the stitch you knit and the one you're about to knit, bringing the needle from front to back.

PLHmila.jpg

Then knit into the back of the stitch.

PLHm1lb.jpg

8 Responses to Make 1 Right (m1R) + Make 1 Left (m1L)

1. laura says:

how do you do this knitting Continental? Seems like it’d be a little different, no?

2. Lisa J says:

Thank you so much! This tutorial and the ssk tutorial were soooo helpful!

3. Diane says:

Thanks you for this site. After quite not getting it, I finally got it. Thanks sooo much.

4. Golf Club Covers says:

Hi, Please can you help me I live in the UK. I am knitting your golf driver cover for my son. I have come to the decrease with 52 stiches divided 17,18,17 should the decrease happen across 2 needles?
    The problem I am getting is when I decrease It is looking like big ladder stiches when I finish the decrease? Sorry for not getting it. All your designs are amazing. Kind Regards
    Amanda

Hi Amanda,
    Thank you for the kind words.

While some patterns ask you to organize your stitches on your double pointed needles in a certain fashion, this pattern does not. So rather than instructing you to decrease a certain number of stitches per needle, here, you are given stitch by stitch instruction.

If you find that you are getting ladders between your double points, it might be a good idea to rearrange the stitches on your needles periodically. Once you've worked to the end of a needle, work the first stitch or two from the next needle, then begin working with your empty needle. That way the stitches at the ends of your needles rotate around. This should help even out your tension.
    Please let me know if you have any questions!
    Laura

6. Carol Urban says:

What is the name of this yarn and colorway? Just lovely!

7. Dawn says:

Hi there! I am following a pattern that has M1L and M1R and alternate rows say to knit the knit stiches and purl the purl stitches. I’m just wondering if the M1′s are considered knit stitches? Thanks so much

Dawn

• Whitney from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Dawn,

If you had to guess, I would guess that they are considered knit stitches, but it sounds like your pattern is assuming you understand the structure of the stitch pattern a little bit and can make that determination for yourself. To help you figure that out, consider that when you knit you’re making a purl stitch on the other side of the fabric and vice versa: a purl stitch makes a knit stitch on the other side. Also, knitting knit stitches and purling purl stitches usually means some kind of variation on stockinette stitch or a rib pattern.

If this doesn’t help you, try treating the increases as knit stitches for a few rows and see if it looks good. If not, go back and try it the other way. One of them has to be right!

Thanks for asking. I’m sorry I didn’t have a more definitive answer and please let us know if you need more help!

Whitney