Super Easy Baby Blanket

SEBBroyinhammock.jpg Every day at Purl at least one customer comes in looking for a really easy baby blanket pattern. It's such a basic request, and, yet, my co-workers and I have a hard time offering a basic solution. The reason is that not many knit designers bother to make patterns for simple rectangles or squares, assuming that, because it would be so easy for them to figure out, it must be easy for everyone else to figure out too! I designed this blanket using Alchemy's new yarn, Temple a super-wash, super-soft and super-beautiful hand dyed merino wool. HERE is a baby blanket that anyone who knows how to cast on, knit and cast off can make. No picking up stitches; no counting stitches; not even any purling! It's everything people ask for, machine washable, soft, fast, and easy. You don't need to be an expert knitter to make a beautiful heirloom blanket! I love garter stitch for a baby blanket because, besides being the same on both sides and lying flat, it is also very cushiony and cozy. My friend Roy really appreciated the cuddliness of garter stitch this weekend when the weather suddenly turned a bit chilly!- Whitney P.S. Happy first birthday to my model and buddy, Roy! SEBBmaterials1.jpg

The Materials

• 7 skeins of Alchemy Yarns' Temple, 100% superfine superwash merino wool. These colors from the top are Lantern, Citrine, Silver, Moonstone, Platinum, Topaz, and Kai's Goldfish
  • A US #7 circular needle, 24 or 32 inches long.
  • Atapestry needle.

The Pattern

20 stitches and 20 ridges = 4 inches in garter stitch

Finished Size

Approximately 26 inches x 28 inches

Begin

With a US #7 needle (or size required by you to acheive the correct gauge) and the first color, loosely cast on 130 stitches. Knit every row until you have knit the entire skein (which should be 18-22 garter stitch "ridges" [1 ridge = 2 rows]). Switch to the second color at the beginning of the next row, and knit every row until you have knit the entire skein. Repeat with each color, making sure to always switch colors on the same side. After knitting the seventh color, loosely bind off. Weave in the ends and you're done! Super easy! This yarn is superwash which means you can safely put it in the washer and dryer. However, if you've used any bright saturated colors (especially reds), you may want to add white distilled vinegar to your first wash in order to "set" the dyes. I read somewhere to add 3 cups; that seems like a lot, but it can't hurt!

64 Responses to Super Easy Baby Blanket

Sharon-

You use the tapestry needle to weave in the ends at the end of the project.

2. Alli says:

Hi!
    I just had a few questions for you. Im new to knitting and i would love to make this blanket in an adult size, something around 50×70 inches. Are the round needles still the best way to do this project on a bigger scale? And my other question is Can you recommend another maybe more generic yarn that is still soft and washable that is at a lower price?

Thanks lots!

Alli

Hi Alli,

Yes, circular needles become even more crucial the bigger your knitting is! Circular needles are able to hold the number of stitches you'll need, and they also help to distribute the weight of the fabric you're knitting. For a 50-inch blanket, you'll be fine with 32 or 40-inch needles.

And for less expensive, but still beautiful, machine washable yarns, check out:

Some of these options may appear to be the same price as the Temple, but be sure to take into account the yardage! Also, these are not all sportweight options because this blanket is also nice in worsted weight yarn (especially when you're increasing the size). You can see a worsted weight version here with our Super Easy Lap Blanket: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2013/1/6/whits-knits-super-easy-lap-blanket.html

Thank you for your questions and please let us know if you have more!

Whitney

4. Debbie Valerio says:

does any one have areal easy baby blacket pattern to make that would not take so long

5. Eleni says:

This blanket is beautiful! I would love to make it and use some of these colors. I am having trouble locating the Lantern, Platinum, and Silver. Do you still sells those colors in the merino wool? many thanks!

Hi Eleni-

Please email customerservice AT purlsoho DOT com and they can answer this question for you.

Thanks for getting in touch!

7. Kirsten says:

Hello! I've just finished my baby blanket but the Koigu Kersti version. It's more a square than a rectangle and (newbie question) I wondered whether blocking would help me 'mould' it into a rectangle? Cold water blocking? Steam blocking? Thanks! (I should've checked my gauge but I've made the blanket before on the same needles, same yarn, diff colours and ended up with a rectangle). Not quite sure what that's all about given it's so simple in design…maybe my knitting's whack! Ha!

Hi Kristen-

That is curious! Blocking won't help because you don't want to pull your stitches too much, and blocking is always temporary. So you can either just keep it a square or you can pull out the bind off and add another block of color to make it a rectangle.

Thanks for getting in touch and good luck with it!

9. Megan says:

I was wondering how you would suggest adapting this into an adult size blanket?? It's so cute I want to make it for myself!

Hi Megan,

We have a Super Easy Lap Blanket pattern, sized for adults, right here: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2013/1/6/whits-knits-super-easy-lap-blanket.html

Thanks so much for your question and please let us know if you have any others!

Whitney

11. Rita Bhatia says:

Good Evening,

Silly Question: I am using POUND OF LOVE yarn by LION BRAND ( MEDIUM, 1020 YARDS, 16 oz). I was wondering what Size needles I would use ( to make it go faster) and how many stitches?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi Rita-

We are not familiar with that particular yarn but I would recommend doing a gauge swatch in garter stitch on the needles suggested on the yarn label. Once you figure out how many stitches you are getting per inch multiply that number by 26 (inches) to get the cast on number. For instance- if you are getting 4 stitches per inch 4 X 26= 104 stitches to cast on. Then knit each of the 7 colors for 4-inches each and you'll have a 26 X 28-inch blanket.

Please let us know if you have any more questions!

13. leslie says:

My sister is making a baby blanket. She’s ready to quit because she totaled her stiches and it came to 85,000. Is this any where near correct? Thanks for the answer. – Leslie

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Leslie-

I’m not sure I understand your question. For this blanket you cast on 130 stitches and knit approximately 280 rows to finish the blanket. That’s approximately 36,000 stitches for the whole blanket. It sounds like maybe your sister is adding stitches as she goes, which is an easy mistake to make. If her blanket is getting wider as she goes she might want to take it into a local yarn store and they can probably tell her what she is doing wrong.

If I misunderstood your question please let me know!

Best-