Cable Cast On

A Cable Cast On is a good way to cast on stitches in the middle of your knitting.  Often a pattern asks you to be knitting along and then says, cast on some number of stitches. I almost always use a Cable Cast On in that situation. This example comes from our Baby Shorts.

First, turn the work so the wrong side (or inside) is facing you. Insert the right needle between the first and second stitch of the left needle.

BBcablecaston1.jpg

Knit a stitch onto the right needle, just like you normally would., except do not remove anything from the left needle.

BBcablecaston2.jpg

Now there's a stitch on the right needle.

BBcablecaston3.jpg

Without twisting it, place that stitch onto the left needle.

BBcablecaston4.jpg

It looks like this:

BBcablecaston5.jpg

Repeat the steps for however many stitches you're casting on. Insert the right needle between the first and second stitches of the left needle. (The first of those stitches is the one you just cast on.)

BBcablecaston6.jpg

Here is what 10 stitches cast on look like (after turning the work so the right side is facing):

BBcablecaston7.jpg

A couple of tips:

Cast on loosely. It gets really difficult to deal with a Cable Cast On if the stitches are too tight.

Also, make sure you keep track of how many stitches you have cast on. It can be kind of tricky to determine which is the first cast on stitch!

25 Responses to Cable Cast On

1. Linda says:

Great closeup photos of the cable cast on. Thanks!

2. kaycee says:

Best closeup knitting photos ever! Thanks!

3. Hannah says:

Absolutely fantastic tutorial! Just saved me!!!! Your photos are amazing. Almost as good as having someone sitting with you showing you how to do it!!! Thanks

4. Bridget says:

amazing photos – and this saved me on my project!

5. Devonne says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I am able to continue with my project tonite! I was stumped as my pattern directions failed to mention you need to turn your work in order to add the stitches properly and then proceed to knitting the additional stitches on the stitch holder. Just added one more technique to my beginners repetoire!

6. Andrew says:

Thanks for the tutorial. This is helping a lot with the Lucha Libre pattern, from Son of Stitch and Bitch, that I started.

7. Jeri says:

Where do you go from there? How do you start knitting from that point? Do you turn and work from the inside (back)? I'm trying to knit on an edging for a shawl and I have to knit and then join the edging to the shawl with a ktog, but I don't know how to work in the correct direction. Thanks for your help. Your pictures are the best I've ever seen.

8. Cheryl says:

Very good instructions!!!!

9. Beth says:

Hi, I reviewed 10 other videos and tutorials before finding yours. I needed to learn to cable cast on in the middle of a row to complete my picot bind off edge. Your tutorial did the trick and I am on my way to finishing my shawl. Thank you so much for making these instructions so clear.

Beth

10. Glo says:

Excellent tutorial for another beginner . .

11. Frances says:

Thank you! Just what I needed and so nicely photographed too. Thanks for sharing your talents. Happy new year!

12. Melissa says:

Thank you! This is just what I needed…very clear instructions and pictures :)

13. Jane Brayton says:

Thank you for such good pictures and instructions for the cable cast on!!

14. Pixie says:

Great tutorial! So clear and closeup and concise that it works as well as a video! Thanks to my sister for finding this for me! I needed it for the heel of a slipper bootie.

15. Rachel says:

I've got a pattern which starts with a picky edge and the very beginning if the pattern says:
    *Cast on 5 stitches using cable cast on…

How would you do this without any stitches already present? Would you cast on 2 normally, then do the remaining 3 as a cable cast on?

Hi Rachel.
    Great question! If you are doing a Cable Cast On at the beginning of a project and do not already have any stitches present you begin in the same fashion as you would a Long Tail Cast On. And by that I mean, make a slip knot to create your first stitch. For Cable Cast On, however, you will put it on your left needle rather than your right. Knit into the stitch and Cable Cast on your second stitch. From here on out, you will place your needle between the two stitches closest to the needle's tip to cast on the remaining stitches. I hope this helps! -Laura

17. I Rabideau says:

Phew! This is sooo helpful! I am glad I clicked on the red “cable cast on”. Hopefully I will be able to finish my daughter's top for Christmas!

18. Kristen says:

Thank you SO much! I looked everywhere and yours were the only instructions that I was able to follow! Now I can continue with my project!

19. fiddlewitch says:

thank you so much for the clear explainy. other sites didn't tell me to flip the work, so i was feeling quite stupid…

20. brooklynbecca says:

Super helpful! Thanks!

21. VALE says:

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!
    FINALLY I'VE FOUND THE BEST TUTORIAL IN ALL THE ENTIRE WEB!
    I'VE WATCHED INFINITE VIDEOS, SEARCHED INFOS, TUTORIALS, BUT NOBODY WAS ABLE TO MAKE A CLEAR, SIMPLE, TUTORIAL LIKE YOUR! IT SEEMS SO DIFFICULT FROM OTHER 'S TUTORIAL, BUT WHEN I READ YOUR, I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING IMMEDIATLY AND NOW IS THE MOST EASY THING TO DO!

AS I ALWAYS SAID, IT'S NOT THE PERSON THAT DONT UNDERSTAND, IT'S OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ABLE TO EXPLAIN AT ALL!

TO BE CLEAR IS AN ART.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

22. ScrappyEDRN says:

Thanks for the super-clear pics! I've read 2 different books on the subject, watched several videos and had the basics for cable cast on down but still wasn't sure that I was putting the new stitches on the needle the correct way. Thanks to your tutorial (by far the best of the lot btw) I am now confident that I'm proceding as I'm supposed to be!! Thank you!!

23. Moira says:

If I am using the crochet cast-on as a permanent cast-on (not provisional), will it start my project on the wrong or right side? For example, the long-tail method starts a project on the wrong side…thanks!

24. Mary says:

Fantastic instructions for casting on in the middle of a row – I've just begun knitting with circular needles and even tho' I'd been to a local knitting/wool shop I didn't get correct instructions and my work was a mess. I had to really search a lot of sites to get this info, there were a lot of instructions for casting on, but none for doing so in the middle of a row. thank you, purlbee!

25. Nikki Melvin says:

I always did a e-loop when I had to cast on more stitches. Thanks to your tutorial, I have now casted on my sleeves with the same cast on as I did when I began the project. Thanks a million!