Sampler Pillows

twocolorbeauty.jpg

One of my all time favorite craft books is The Constance Howard Book of Stitches. I find it a never ending inspiration. All of the pictures in the book are in black and white but they show the most creative embroidery stitches and opened me up to the idea of two (or more) color embroidery, which is something I'd never really thought of before.

After experimenting with two color embroidery and finding my favorite stitches I wanted a project to show them off. I love my vintage embroidered pillow cases (you can see them in this picture of my Around the Wool Blanket ) so I decided to make a modern version of them on some earthy linen pillow cases. Instead of embroidering something traditional like flowers I just sewed many lines using different stitches. I  like to think of them as embroidery samplers in action!

empil4
If you'd like to learn some of these exciting new stitches check out my Two Color Embroidery Tutorial.

And if you'd like to make some Sampler Pillows using your new stitch skills just keep reading! -Molly

empil1

Marking

empil101

First and most importantly, iron your pillow cases: Spray them with thoroughly water and then press them with a very very hot iron. Joelle calls this the "soak and fry" method. Since linen wrinkles so easily this is a crucial step.

Next, using your fabric maker or chalk, mark a line 2 inches in from the pillow opening along the whole length of the pillow case. Mark the next line 1 3/4" inches in from the first line. Mark your final line 1" from the second line.

empil102

The second pillow case is marked slightly differently:

empil103

Mark 1 1/2" in from the edge. Then mark 3/4" in from that line. Finally mark 2" from the second line.

(A 6.5"X 24.5" rotary ruler makes marking these pillow cases really easy!)

Embroidery

empil105

Embroider down the full length of the marked lines using a different stitch for each line from my Two Color Embroidery Tutorial.

empil2

The stitches pictured above are (from bottom to top):

Double Threaded Hourglass

Threaded Herringbone

Asterisk

Basic Weaving

Pekinese

Wrapped Ribs

When you're done make sure to spray away the marked lines and iron the pillow cases again.

10 Responses to Sampler Pillows

1. Valerie says:

Brilliant! Is linen pillowcase as comfortable compared to cotton? What kind of linen fabric did you use to sew the pillowcase?

Hi Valerie,
    the pillowcases were pre made. They’re from a shop called Muji, you can find it online here:

Linen is really nice to sleep on and it gets softer and softer everytime you wash it.

3. Ritch in Love says:

Thanks for the great tutorial! Will be putting it to use this month on one of my commutes to work.

4. Mary Corbet says:

I love these pillow cases! They’re so simple, and so pretty!

Unfortunately, Muji doesn’t sell online in the States. It’s hard to come by nice linen pillow cases without a deep casing – these look perfect for extra embellishment.

This is wonderful tutorial, and the cases look fun to work! Neat stitches, nice colors!

Thanks!!

5. Becka says:

Oh, I love these! I wish we had Muji here too, why did I not stock up while in London!

6. Kerry says:

What a cool idea! Thank you for sharing – these pillowcases are just gorgeous, very elegant!
    Hugs,
    Kerry

7. Sacha says:

Would good cotton cases work just as well?

Hi Sacha,
    Yes, cotton cases will work. Cotton is great for embroidery, a blend of linen cotton would be nice too. Good luck!

9. Audra says:

This is one of my favorite Purl projects. I’ve completed one pillowcase, and I can’t stop staring at it– it’s just exquisite. What an elegant way to add handmade beauty to a home. Beginning embroiderers should not be intimidated– just take your time and follow the excellent tutorials provided by Purl. Thank you Molly!

10. sofie says:

So lovely, and something I could actually do!
    Love your designs and I am so happy to happen upon your site!