Fabric Beach Balls

These fabric balls are the perfect handmade baby gift, multicolored, soft and round.....what's not to love!  Sewers of all levels will have fun making these toys that will be worthy of passing down from generation to generation.
 Enjoy! --Page

We recommend 1/4 yard of each fabric to leave room for error.

These are the fabric I used:

Large Ball

Medium Ball

Small Ball

Other Materials

The Pattern

Finished Measurements

• Small ball: approximately 5-inches diameter
  • Medium ball: approximately 7-inches diameter
  • Large ball: approximately  9-inches diameter

Download this template for the small and medium balls, and this template for the large ball.

You will need to cut eight fabric pieces total to make each ball.  We used two each of four different fabrics for ours.

Fold fabric in half by lining up the selvages so that you can cut two pieces at a time.  Lay template on the fabric and trace with a pencil.  Cut the fabric on the drawn line.  Repeat this process with the remaining fabrics so you have eight pieces total.

Pin the cut pieces in pairs right sides together, carefully aligning the points and edges.

Chain-piece the pairs, sewing past the points at each end using a 1/4-inch seam allowance.  You don't need to backstitch because you'll reinforce these seams when sewing the pairs together.  Be sure to make smooth curves as you are sewing so that the ball will be nicely rounded.  After chain-piecing, carefully cut the threads between each pair.  Press the seams to the side of the darker fabric.

Pair the pieces once more, aligning their cut edges with right sides together and pin them together.  Sew them together to create two half-sphere shapes with four pieces each.  Press seams to the side of the darker fabric.

Turn one half-sphere right side out, and tuck it inside the other half-sphere, with right sides together.  Align the points and edges, and pin the two pieces together.  You'll want to begin one of your seams 1- inch from the point to leave an opening for you to turn the ball right side out and to stuff it.  Take care not to sew over the nice points you've made at the ends when stitching the previous seams.  Your top seam should just intersect the point where the previous seams meet.

Turn the ball right side out through the opening, and stuff it firmly, making a spherical ball.

Fold and finger-press the edges of the opening 1/4 inch to the inside to create a clean edge.  Using a blindstitch, carefully hand-sew the opening closed, stitching just inside the fold for an invisible seam.

Cut two circles for each ball to sew at each end.  We recommend using the darkest solid fabric for this since it is a way to cover the part where all the seams come together which isn't always perfect.   We cut a 2 -inch circle for the large ball, a 1 3/4-inch circle for the medium ball, and a 1 1/2-inch circle for the small ball.   Fold and iron the edges of the circle approximately 1/8-inch.  Hand-sew the circles on each end of the ball using a hand stitch.

If the balls have gotten a bit misshapen while sewing on the circles, manipulate them back into a nice spherical shape and you're good to go!

66 Responses to Fabric Beach Balls

1. Janee Lookerse says:

Hi! This is so fun! Just one thing… I'm REALLY bad at blindstitching….do you know of any good tutorials?

xoxo
    Janee
    yellowbirdyellowbeard.blogspot.com

2. Thanks for the tutorial! I made a small ball for my son and he loves it.
    You can see it here, if you like: http://thesewingme.blogspot.de/2013/06/soft-ball-tutorial.html
    I linked to your tutorial of course :))

Very good job!
    Ciao

3. delina says:

i love this… can't wait to make this for my 5 month old, will add some ribbon around for more fun… :) thanks for sharing..

4. Erin says:

Great tutorial! I'm going to try making this out of vinyl and adding a bit of cat nip to make some handmade cat toys :)

5. Donna Mooreland says:

I saw these years ago, but instead of being stuffed with fiberfill, they put a balloon in it.

6. J says:

Is anyone else balls coming out sort of oval on one end? What am I doing wrong?

• Gretchen says:

Try sewing the two halves then putting them together. It might help.

• Make sure you cut your fabric pieces with the wider part on the crosswise grain (the top of the segment should be pointing toward the selvedge). This helps prevent the fabric from stretching as you stuff.

7. Renee says:

love these! i'm working on 2 sets – one for my daughter and one for my niece :)

8. Barbara says:

I've made something similar, and instead of stuffing it, I've made a button hole in the end (circle) to push a balloon inside. Once the balloon is inflated, the tied end is hidden inside. This makes a very bouncy ball, which doesn't hurt.

9. Carolyn says:

I loved the idea of fabric beach balls and decided to make one for my son, who is 17 months. Thank you for an easy and clear tutorial. I posted a review on my shop blog and am planning to make more for him.

10. Sherry Poole says:

I love this pattern – even if I am so late seeing it… I am going to make several and instead of putting batting in it I am going to put scrunchies in them… making a lighter ball for little fingers.
    Thanks

11. Pam Janssen says:

I just found this tutorial and am very anxious to make these for my grandchildren only I can’t seem to get the templates to come up. Is there something I am doing wrong or has the website been closed. Is there someway that someone could email me the templates, please?

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Pam-

The templates seem to be loading fine on our end. Can you try from another browser? If you still can’t get them to load please email me at Molly AT purlsoho DOT com and I can send them to you directly.

12. Elizabeth says:

Going to a baby shower and now I have a ball to match my blanket and burp cloths. Thanks!

13. Joan Konig says: