Little Boy’s Tie

This little boy's Easter tie is quick but very well made and will brighten any Easter outfit. The tie is sewn almost entirely by hand, so if you don't have a machine its easy to finish without one.

Cut Front and Back Tie

Cut the 27-inch x 54-inch piece of Tana Lawn in half length-wise to create two 27-inch squares.

Take one of these squares and fold it in half diagonally as shown above and press it. This diagonal line is the bias fold.

Place your Front Tie template piece along the diagonal fold where indicated on the template and pin. Make sure that the fabric print is oriented in the correct way, it is hard to tell from this picture but the cars are right side up.

Cut out the Front Tie piece.

Cut Front Tie Lining and Back Tie Lining

Using the second 27-inch Tana Lawn square cut out the Back Tie in the same manner as above, along the bias fold.

Cut a 9-inch square of Muslin, fold it in half diagonally and press it. Place both the Front Tie Lining and the Back Tie Lining templates on the muslin, being sure to place the correct edge of the template along the fold as indicated on the template.

Cut Front Tie Interfacing and Back Tie Interfacing

From the Sew in Stabilizer interfacing, cut the Front Tie Interface and the Back Tie Interface pieces. Because the stabilizer is not woven you don't need to worry about cutting it on the bias.

Prepare to Sew Tie

Open up your pieces, you will have:

• 1 Front Tie Piece
  • 1 Back Tie Piece
  • 1 Front Tie Lining
  • 1 Back Tie Lining
  • 1 Front Tie Interfacing
  • 1 Back Tie Interfacing

Do not iron these pieces flat. You will need their middle markings for reference later.

Front and Back Lining

From the Front Tie Lining, fold the bottom tip up 1/4-inch and press it.

Fold the bottom sides of the lining in 1/4-inch each and press them into place. This will form a neat point at the bottom angle of the lining.

Repeat this step for the Back Lining.

Fold the bottom edges of the Front tie in 1/4 and press them into place.

Fold the tip up 1/4-inch press it, and then fold in the sides to a neat point and press it again, as you did above with the lining pieces.

Repeat this step for the Back Tie.

Place the Front Lining on top of the Front Tie end, wrong sides together. Make sure that the lining is contained within the borders of the end of the tie as shown above. It should be a little bit smaller than the tie end.

Pin the Lining in place

Sew the folded edges of the lining onto the tie end with a slip stitch. Sew only through the folded layer of the Tana Lawn- Do not sew though to the front of the tie. This is very similar to sewing on the binding of a quilt.

Please click here if you need a more in depth explanation of slip stitch.

It's not necessary to sew the top of the lining, it will get enclosed within in the shaping of the tie.

Repeat the same steps to sew on the Back Lining.

Sew the Halves Together

Place the square end of the Back Tie piece on top of and perpendicular to the square end of the Front Tie piece, right sides together, to form a right angle as shown above. Do the same for the interfacing pieces. Draw a diagonal line from right to left across this intersection, as pictured above in yellow. This will be your seam line.

Sew the fronts and backs together along the seam line.

Trim off the excess fabric to 1/4-inch.

Press the seam open. It will be practically invisible on the right side since the print has so much going on!

Shaping the Tie

Fold in edges of the long sides 1/4-inch and press into place.

Fold again 1/4-inch and press.

Fold both edges in so they meet at the crease in the center of the tie and press.

Open up the sides and slip your interfacing in as pictured above. It should fit snugly inside the tie.

Now it's time to close up the tie. Refold the edges, press them again and pin into place.

Sew Tie

The inside seam of your tie will be sewn by hand.

Please Note:  I used red thread for the following steps, but only so the technique would be more visible. At home you should use thread that matches your fabric.

Tack the point where the two edges meet a few times before you start your seam.

The tie is sewn up with a different type of slip stitch than was used for sewing the lining:

• Start from the tack run your needle through the fold on the left side and come out about 1/2-inch above.
  • Insert your needle directly across from where you came out into the right side and slide it up though the fold for a 1/2-inch.
  • Then enter the left side directly across from where you exited the right side.
  • Repeat

Once you do this a few times you will have a little ladder of stitches as shown above.

• Pull the stitches taut and they will almost disappear.

• When you get to the end of your length of thread take a couple of tacking stitches but this time sew though the interfacing as well, while making sure not to sew though to the front of the tie, which will hold the interfacing in place.

Sew the entire inside seam of the tie in this way.

Once you're done, press the tie thoroughly to get rid of the middle seam and you'll be finished!  Enjoy! --Molly

61 Responses to Little Boy’s Tie

1. cidell says:

This is quite brilliant. i made ties for the boyfriend over Christmas and which I had stumbled upon this!

2. Melody says:

I have two boys and have wanted to make them ties. Thank you so much for the step-by-step and the pattern!

3. Michelle says:

Brilliant! I never knew it could be so simple! Now I’ve got to find some boys to make this for… any chance you could let us know how much to enlarge this pattern in order to make a tie for a man? Pretty please? :0)

4. Anna says:

Question — How little is “little boy?” My 12-yo son is a formal dress freak — really — he’s asked for a bow tie next! Would love to surprise him with a cool custom tie for Easter.

And would love ideas for sloppy, hoodie-wearing tomboy sister too :-)

5. Angie says:

This is wonderful! What a great idea. My boy is so small still, but now I am looking forward to making him some ties when he is bigger. Thanks!

6. Beth says:

I love this! I’m making a vest for my seven-year-old son for Easter, and will add a tie to the outfit! He’s jealous that I’m usually sewing for his little sister,and he’ll feel so special that I’m making him something besides pjs and t-shirts. Thank you!

7. Liz says:

What a great tutorial. My (very) little guy wanted a tie just like Daddy and I’m thankful for the tutorial!

8. Sara says:

I tried my hand at sewing a tie for Grandpa this Christmas – the kids put their handprints all over the fabric with fabric paint to create a tone-on-tone pattern. Then we disassembled an old tie to create our pattern. We were pleasantly surprised at how easy it was! I’ll be sure to make some for my 3 boys this spring! Great tutorial!

9. Jennifer says:

I would also love to know the measurements for a mans tie! How special would it be for me to be able to make something my husband would love to have!

10. Nancy Phillips says:

Since you are so great at showing us how to do things it would be very usefull to see how to tie a man’s tie.
    I would print it out & stick it into the pocket of my husband’s suite so that when we get to a hotel for some special ocation we don’t have to go looking for someone to HELP

11. geek+nerd says:

This is so cute! I have a gaggle of nephews that this would be perfect for. Thank you for sharing.

12. Jessica says:

lovely little tie! and a little off topic … could you tell me a little bit more about the bird print in the bottom photograph? new apartment with very blank walls… i love it.. thank you!

13. Maureen says:

Thankyou for a very generous and clearly instructed project. I’ve made ties many times before, but this is the best yet. Thanks. p.s.I too would love to know how to resize for a man sized version.

14. Adie says:

I LOVE this pattern. I have two little boys and have been searching everywhere for cute sewing projects, almost every pattern is for girls! One thing though, I tried to print the pattern pieces and I can only download the front tie pieces. I can’t find the back tie pieces, the liners, or the interfacing. Please help. I really want to make my oldest a tie for easter. Thanks!

Hi Adie,
    I just checked the pdf and all four pages are there, did you try going to the next page? I’ll see if I can email the pdf to you directly just in case.

16. Adie says:

Thank you so much for the prompt assistance. I now have them downloaded and can’t wait to get started! I hope you have more great little boys ideas like this in the future. I’m so glad to have a special present to sew for them.

17. Carolanne says:

This is just adorable. My friend’s little boy idolizes his sharply dressed Dad and I think matching ties will set him over the edge.

Also, can you tell me anything about the picture of the bird in the background of the photo? I collect bird images and that one is really special.

Thanks so much – Carolanne

18. sarah says:

this is great! does anyone know how to do a bow tie?

19. coeuralouvrage says:

Magnifique. C’est ce que je cherchais à réaliser pour mon petit fils : une vraie cravate, ce liberty a aussi beaucoup de succès en France

Beautiful. That’s what I wanted to make for my little son, a real tie, that liberty has a lot of success in France

20. Elise says:

Hi! I have the stuff to make a tie, but the pattern file is not downloading onto my computer. Am I doing something wrong? Such a cute tie!

Hi Elise,
    I’m going to email the pdf to you directly, please let me know if you don’t receive it.
    Joelle

22. mo says:

Is it necessary to cut the fabric on the bias? I’m betting it’s easier to tie, and it just drapes better. Thanks.

23. sarah says:

oh my goodness!! this rocks!! seriously, its a tute even my A.D.D. brain can follow :) love it because now I can make my boys ties when they need them through out the whole year, not just on holidays when the stores carry them! thanks so much!

24. Michelle says:

Will this fit an 11 year old?
    My son and I have an ongoing game of “punch buggy”, so a tie made out of this fabric with tiny VW bugs, is that much more entertaining and FUN! It sold him. He’s a sporty guy who’s never worn a tie (we live in Seattle, not NYC, no ties required).
    Thanks for another fabulous project.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,
    I think it may be a little short for an 11 year old. I don’t think it would be that hard to lengthen it at each end of the seam at the back of the neck. It might be worth checking out 11 year old ties to see how long they are and compare to this which is 46-inches long.

26. susaninfrance says:

I’m also not able to download the pdf. I’ve often downloaded other things from your site…I’d appreciate an email of the pdf if you can. My son has picked out a very loud red and blue floral liberty that I had on hand for his easter outfit…I hope he has enough confidence to actually wear it! love this idea–more boy things would be a nice addition. I make so much for my daughters and my son is jealous….

Hi Susan,
    Now I can’t download it either! I’m going to work on it and re-upload it, probably tomorrow. When I get it done, I’ll also email it to you.
    Thanks for letting us know!
    Joelle

Susan,
    The pdf has been fixed here and I’ll email it to you now.
    Joelle

29. Julie says:

This is awesome! Do you also have a template for a man sized tie?

30. Cara says:

Just wanted to say thanks for the great little boy tie tutorial..
    I tried it with cute little pirate fabric I purchased on Etsy and my son was the hit of our Easter celebrations! so cute! Thought you might want to check it out!

Thanks so much!
    Cara

31. Ellie says:

Thank-you so much for this wonderful tutorial. I made a tie for my 3 year old son to match the jumper that I made for my 1 year old son. It was a perfect tutorial. I did shorten it a bit to fit him since he is young. Also, I used the same fabric on the front for the lining and I tore apart one of DH’s ugly ties and used the interfacing which saved me a trip to the fabric store.

I’ll definitely make more. Let me know if you start a flickr group, I’ll add my pic.
    -E

32. robyn says:

Thanks soooo much for this pattern. We are going to a wedding in May and I used the pattern to make ties for my boys. Nice ties are so hard to find in the stores. Below is a link showing photos of my little men in their new ties. Thanks again!!

33. Rachel R. says:

I’m curious what you do with the remaining fabric, since cutting on the bias requires that you cut a chunk right out of the middle of the square. ;)

34. kate says:

would love a pattern for a little boy’s bow tie- daughter’s wedding is Aug 8th- need to make 2 for little grandsons- help!

35. Sabine says:

THANK YOU!! The instructions are amazingly detailed and so easy to follow! I made the tie for my 9 yo son to wear to his sister’s wedding this coming Saturday!
    You’ve saved him from wearing a tie about half the width of his midriff LOL – Again, thanks so much for sharing your talent – AMAZING!!

36. Stephanie says:

Thanks– fun, quick project for my little boy!

37. Mijke says:

A very good tutorial.A really detailed and really easy to understand.Thank you for the tutorial.Me and my son have a wedding to attend in 2 weeks and I can make a great tie for him and his dad! Thanks again!

38. Terri says:

This is fabulous! I had no idea it was so simple. I’d very much like to make a tie for my father for Xmas. I’m guessing that I’d need to do more than just lengthen it? Also increase the width? Would greatly appreciate your assistance and thanks for the great projects!

Hi Terri,
    We have a project journal for making a men’s tie as well! You can find the complete pattern here:

40. Erin says:

Thanks so much! I am going to give this a try. I am thinking Easter alreay! I have some really cute bows I made for my girls and I am going to try to match a tie to them! So fun! Thanks again, I am so glad I came across this in my seach :)

41. stacey says:

hi im wanting to make matching ties for my sons who are 8 months and 4 yrs… do you have any suggestions before i start?

42. Pam says:

“Little” boys tie — that’s a wide range of ages — just what age is this tie for? I’m making one for a 3 year old boy and this seems far too long and wide. How should I adjust the pattern for this age?

Hi Stacey,
    You should probably make the 4 year old tie first so you can see how it’s made because you’ll probably want to reduce the pattern for your 8 month old. We just got in a whole bunch of new Liberty yesterday and will be posting it in the next couple of days so you should keep your eye on them, there are some really cute new prints!
    You can find our LIberty Collection here:

Hi Pam-
    You can reduce the pattern by reducing it on a copy machine by 10- 20% depending on how much smaller you want it. As long as you reduce every piece of the pattern by the same percentage it should still come together fine. Thank you so much for your comment!

45. Kimi says:

Hi – I follow your blog and love it! My sister and I have recently started a new blog featuring tutorials, recipes, and ideas from some of our favorite sites. You were one of the blogs we picked for our first features! If you follow this link http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/p/featured-sites.html it will take you to a page where you can grab a button saying you were featured on if i could…

We want to congratulate you on being one of our first features and look forward to featuring more of your cute posts! Thanks for helping us kick off the start of our blog!

Kimi

46. stacey says:

hi again, when i click to print the pattern it goes to a blank page? am i doing something wrong?

Hi Stacey,
    You are the second person this has happened too. We can’t figure out why, but what we’ll do is email the pdf to you. I’ll email it momentarily! –Joelle

48. Rachel Leverton says:

What a fabulous tutorial! I have a tie pattern that I bought but never used because it never made sense to me. Now I have your pictures to explain what I should do! This is especially perfect because I made an Easter dress for my daughter, and I wanted to make matching ties for my two boys. Thanks!

49. stacey says:

i made the tie last night and its perfect :)

im wondering if any1 knows where i can find a pattern to make a baby sized vest. if you have a pattern i can use can you email it to me by chance?

Hi Stacey,
    You can find a link to our baby cable vest here:
    Hope this helps!