Crocheted Passover Yarmulke

With Passover approaching, these beautifully simple crocheted yarmulkes are easy enough to whip up amidst all your other Seder preparations. Holidays are made special by the unique ways each family finds to interpret the traditions of the day, from handed down rituals to secret recipes. If year after year your guests were offered these hand crafted yarmulkes, the day would only be enriched. As my mother loves to say, God is in the details!

• 2 skeins of Hand Jive's Nature's Palette Fingering, 100% merino wool. These colors are "Light Teal" and "Spruce". Two skeins is enough to make at least 4 yarmulkes (two in each color).

The Pattern

6 1/2 single crochets = 1 inch

Finished Size

5 1/2 inches in diameter

To Begin

With the Main Color, chain 4 and slip stitch into the first chain to make a ring.

Round 1: Chain 1, 8 single crochet (sc) into the ring.

Note: Mark the first stitch of the next round with a removable marker. Make sure to reposition the marker at the beginning of each round to mark the new first stitch.

Round 2: 2 sc in each stitch. (16 stitches)

Round 3: *1 sc in next stitch, 2 sc in next stitch, repeat from * to end of round. (24 stitches)

Round 4: *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 2 stitches, repeat from * to end of round. (32 stitches)

Round 5: 1 sc in each stitch.

Round 6: *1 sc in next 3 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch, repeat from * to end of round. (40 stitches)

Round 7: *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 4 stitches, repeat from * to end of round. (48 stitches)

Round 8: 1 sc in each stitch.

Round 9: *1 sc in next 5 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch, repeat from * to end of round. (56 stitches)

Round 10: 1 sc in each stitch.

Round 11: *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 6 stitches, repeat from * to end of round. (64 stitches)

Round 12: 1 sc in each stitch.

Round 13: *1 sc in next 7 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch, repeat from * to end of round. (72 stitches)

Round 14: 1 sc in each stitch.

Round 15: *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 8 stitches, repeat from * to end of round. (80 stitches)

Round 16: 1 sc in each stitch.

Round 17: *1 sc in next 9 stitches, 2 sc in next stitch, repeat from * to end of round. (88 stitches)

Round 18: 1 sc in each stitch.

Change Colors

At the beginning of Round 19 change colors. Here's how:

Begin the first single crochet by pulling just one loop through with the old color.

Finish the single crochet with the new color.

Move the removable marker to mark the beginning of the round.

Round 19: *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 10 stitches, repeat from * to end of round. (96 stitches)

Round 20: 1 sc in each stitch.

Round 21: 1 sc in each stitch.

Cut the yarn and pull the tail through the last stitch.

Block the yarmulke by wetting it, sqeezing it dry and laying it over the bottom of a small bowl.

Try switching the colors for variety!

25 Responses to Crocheted Passover Yarmulke

1. Kym Whitten says:

Beautiful. Do you have this pattern for knitting?

2. pamelamama says:

Cute! I never learned to follow a crochet pattern, so I would wing the kippot and they always came out a little bit … odd!

Thanks for the holiday patterns!

3. Kesara A. says:

Hello,
    This is my first time to post since I’ve seen yours for many times. I’m very intrested in crochet for long time ago. I’ve study from the book and learn by myself. Now I’m so crazy about it.I love to see the creative work from crochet. And I love your work too. It’s simple but so cool.
    Thank you for that….

4. Emily says:

I’m working on the yarmulke now and am having trouble with the color change. In your photos I can’t see where the colors were changed, but in mine the change is obvious (because of working in rounds). Can you tell me how you made the switch less noticeable?

5. Jessica says:

I am starting my first crochet pattern , Crocheted Passover Yarmulke -yay- in the pattern it says that it will end up 5 1/2 inches in diameter. I want it to end up 7 1/2 inches in diameter. How do I do this? (how do I add on to the pattern to make it bigger?) Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! :o)

6. Kippah says:

It is such a nice work and its beautiful..Thanks for sharing ..you know i love kippah so much.

7. Ro says:

this is gorgeous! any idea how to turn this into a kufi pattern? thanks!

Hi Ro-

We don't have plans to turn this into a larger kufi but here is a crochet pattern that might work for something like that:

Thanks for your comment!

9. tami cimring says:

Hi – i love this pattern, it looks simple and cute!
    I just wanted to ask if the yarn used is 4 ply or double knit and is it cotton or a mix of cotton and somthing.
    We dont get such a variety here in south africa!
    I also wanted to ask if this pattern will fit a child 2-5 years or do i need to adjust it?
    Thanks :)

Hi Tami-

This is 4 ply yarn. It would probably be big for a small child but you could just make it smaller by not crocheting it as wide.

Thanks for your question!

11. Jess says:

Hi,

Thanks for this awesome, simple yarmulke pattern (and many other patterns). I'm using this one to make kippot for my brother's wedding ceremony, but I have a quick question. Do you know if there's a way to starch the finished kippa or something like that? I used Shibui Sock yarn, and the first yarmulke came out great, but I want it to be a little stiffer than it is so that it holds it's shape a little better.

Hi Jess,

I do think you could use spray starch to make it stiffer. Here is a good tutorial:

Thanks for your question!

13. NormaJ says:

I have a similar question to one above…how to increase the diameter of the yarlmuke? My husband loves the yarlmuke I made, but compared with several fabric ones he has, this pattern is quite a bit smaller. I assume I could just continue the same proportion of increases in a row alternating with a row or two of sc? Thanks for the answer.

Hi Norma-

You're right, you can just keep going in pattern to make it wider.

Thank you for your question!

15. Sarah says:

Hello!

Thank you for the amazing design. I am making kippots to donate to my temple to give to parents for their baby's first kippah. I've been able to adjust the size fine, but they are asking that I put removable ties on them. Any ideas on how to do that?

Thanks again for the great pattern!

16. purlbee says:

Hi Sarah,

Sure! If by “removable ties” you mean ones that you can tie and untie, I would just make a chain 10 or so inches long off opposite edges of the kippah.

If, however, you mean that the ties themselves should be removable, then I might use some sew-on snaps (http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/109-notions-tools-buttons-zippers?filters=924) with some pretty ribbons (http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/82-notions-tools-trims-ribbon?page=2).

I hope this helps! Thank you for your question!
    Whitney

17. Krisha says:

Hi – thank you for a great pattern. Living in a small jewish community in Norway I was so happy to find the jewish crafts on your site. I truly consider them a gift!
    I have just made this kippa for a little one year old. I find that bigger kippas is usually better for small boys, so I made the original a little bit bigger. I posted the project on my blog, linking up to your site.
    I hope that is ok with you.
    You can see it here, if you want to. http://recyclingmama.squarespace.com/home/2012/5/27/happy-happy-kippa.html

18. joanie says:

Hi
    thank you so much for the pattern. i made my first yarmulke for my husband

19. Naeema says:

What a great project! I'm not Jewish (Muslim actually), but this would be a great Passover gift for my friend's son. I hope I can find some yarn as lovely as yours in my local store.

20. Pamela says:

Question? Do I slip the stitch at the end of each round?

21. Pamela says:

Question? Do I slip the stitch at the end of each round?

HI Pamela,

No, it's not necessary to slip the stitch at the end of each round. Instead, this project is crocheted in a continuous spiral with the removable stitch marker indicating the beginning of each round.

I hope this makes sense! Please let us know if you have any other questions and thanks so much for this one!

Whitney

23. Kira says:

What am I doing wrong? I'm in the middle of this project right now, but it's coming out more like a tiny beanie. It's not curving slightly like a kippah, the curve is steeper.

I started with two less stitches in the initial chain in order to make the hole smaller. I don't think that could have affected it all that much.

Hi Kira,

It could be that you are crocheting at a different gauge. Or maybe you're not counting the number of stitches between increases properly? In any case, you could try adding an extra round of single crochets between your increase rounds (for instance, between Rounds 6 and 7) to soften the curve.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if it doesn't, and we'll try to figure out the mystery of the beanie!

Whitney

25. Rhonda says:

Just used this pattern as a guide for a Kippah for my one year old grandson. I used Lion Brand bonbons (fine #2) and a US size B crochet hook! Only had to follow 12 rows of the pattern with the first three rows and the last two rows white–all of the
    other rows in between are 7 different colors! It ended up being about three knuckles radius! Can hardly wait for our family sedar for little man to wear his new Kippah!