Giant Granny Square

This beautiful blanket sat unfinished and crumpled in a forgotten corner of Joelle's craftroom for at least two years. One day it somehow got unearthed, poking itself out from under a pile of fabrics. Page, Molly and I were simultaneously riveted by the vision of this amazing blanket that we'd never seen. Molly demanded to know, "Where has this been?!" I reprimanded, "Why haven't you finished it?!" Page yelled, "Can I have it?!" Why didn't I think of that?

Joelle was less impressed with herself than we were with her. She just kind of shrugged and said that she'd gotten too busy to finish it (true, she is busy). So I offered/got enlisted to crochet the last round and to sew in the ends.

It was a pleasure to spend time in the mind of Joelle's color sense. To me it's a marvel how she dreamed up these colors. Soft grays and creams blur behind sharp bursts of vivid pinks and rich browns, all mingling together in beautiful rainbow magic.

It's a simple notion - a granny square that goes on and on and on - but because the pattern is so pleasantly meditative, the mind is free to just wander from one color to the next, creating beautifully symphonic color music. There's no better instrument for such composing than Koigu's KPM. The hand-dyed colors strike every note perfectly!

This blanket is 30 x 30-inches and takes at least seven skeins to make. Joelle used more skeins in order to use more colors. Here's what they are:

For this warm toned version (from top to bottom):

Koigu's Koigu Premium Merino (KPM) in colors #2389, #1303, #2360, #1111, #2231, #1411, #1135, #1110, #1209, #2180, and #1201

Here's another color idea if you want to explore cooler tones (from top to bottom):

Koigu's Koigu Premium Merino (KPM) in colors #2411, #2171, #2409, #2405, #2416, #2403, #2360, #0000, #1201, #2100, #2180, #1230

Remember that tracking down exact matches of Koigu colors can be a little tricky at best, and impossible at worst. Luckily, Koigu makes so many gorgeous colors that substituting one of these colors with your own choice is bound to bring its own rewards.

This blanket has been on quite a journey. I think Joelle's love for it has been rekindled, and Page may have to make her own! If you'd like to make your own and want to learn how to make a granny square, please visit our Granny Square Tutorial!  --Whitney

82 Responses to Giant Granny Square

1. northwind says:

This is so cool–our church receives boo-coo yarn so I’m sure I can make one or two of these for the bazaar (if that’s okay). This is a great carry-along, mindless project for wait time at the doctor’s or for needlework club (which can be very noisy and distracting at times). Thank you for sharing your patterns. This website keeps me inspired.

Hi Northwind,
    Of course that’s okay, we definitely do not own the copyright on granny squares! Enjoy!

3. Emily says:

Heck, what else is hiding in there??

(And yes to the kits, please!)

4. Binoo says:

Ohh… Beautiful ! I love it …

5. calico and chintz says:

We love granny square blankets too …. my mum has lovingly done one for each of my 5 children- all very individual to their personalities. As well as my kids she makes one for any child of a friend or family.

6. Ahhhhhhhhh, I feel like I’ve come home. It’s awesome and beautiful.

Cherry x

7. Camilla says:

You are so right, the colours in this is amazing. I think I might try and make my own version of this as my next baby blanket. :) Thank you for all the inspiration.

8. Robyn says:

I am so happy to see this finished blanket. I was inspired to make one in a similar fashion a couple of years ago – http://thatsillygirl.blogspot.com/2007/09/it-is-done.html
    I get several hits a month with people looking for a pattern for a giant granny square blanket. I never wrote out the pattern because it was kind of pieced together from other sources, so I am so glad to see your pattern. I am going to add a link to my post so that people will find your pattern. Seeing yours in all its beauty makes me want to try another. :0)

9. melissa says:

These are the projects that make me SO GLAD I can crochet. I can’t knit a stitch, but I can crank these puppies out in no time. Beautiful color scheme!

10. austinannie says:

I’m in love with this pattern! The only problem is my edges are getting flowey — as in, the tension around 30 or so rows isn’t tight enough around to keep it a square but starting to look more like a poodle skirt. What could possibly go wrong with a granny square?! Yikes… Please advise.

11. celia says:

Oh, I get always so sad when I read this post. I’ve tried twice to make this granny and always end with a giant twisted square. And it begin to twist from the beginning square. I have tried with a worsted weight yarn and works better but never with a sport or fingering weight. Did anyone have the same problem as me?

12. celia says:

Oh I have just read the last comment and the problem I have is exactly the same as austinannie! lol…

Hi Annie and Celia,
    We’re so sorry you’re having this trouble! If you edge is getting ruffled or not laying flat it means that you’ve either got too many stitches, or to few. Without looking at it, its hard to judge, but it sounds like what is happening is that you aren’t doing the double crochet properly (this is a common problem!)
    Here is a link to the double crochet tutorial on our site:

Hope this helps! Please let us know if you need further assistance!

14. Astrid says:

LOVE THIS !!!
    Am crocheing a blanket at the moment, but now I can’t wait to finish and try your inspiring example!

15. Nadia Marie says:

This is such a great blanket! Do you all offer crocheting classes? I would love to learn more about that. I also would like to go beyond just knitting and learn more tecniques. Love you guys and hope to go visit the shop soon!

16. A Man says:

I’m a man and I think that it’s amazing!

17. Maryse says:

It’s beautiful! The colors are great! Seems like a lot of good work!

18. mon ami says:

I love this! I included them in a collection of granny squares over on my blog: http://monami.squarespace.com/mon-ami-journal/2010/1/17/inspiration-granny-squares.html

thanks for sharing
    xo

19. Cheryl says:

Oh I am so in love with your yarn colors….and the combinations I will definitely be using to crochet many winter items this year….Thank you!

Hi Nicole-

Here is a link to the Granny Square pattern, complete with written instructions and photos: http://www.purlbee.com/granny-square-project/

Good luck with your blanket! and congrats on your soon- to – arrive daughter!

- Molly

21. Gabli says:

I love these colors! And this post has just enthused and inspired me to make one for the kiddos. Wonderful creativity and I have to say, I love your website!
    Gabli

22. Miss Honey says:

Sorry for the confusion, especially as you have provided a product link – but could you please tell me if the skeins recommended were mini KPM (11yds) which seem to have many more colors available and have a similar product photo to the one in the post, or the 175yd skeins?

http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/410-Koigu-Premium-Merino-(KPM) or

Hi Miss Honey-

It is the 175 yard skeins. They are available here: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/410-Koigu-Wool-Designs-Koigu-Premium-Merino-KPM

Thanks you!

24. Rose says:

I made a giant great granny for each of my children this year for Christmas (4 of them-people in church got used to me brining in my bag & working during service, bonus is that it keeps me warm while I work)-only variation I use is using 2 or 3 skeins at a time & a huge crochet hook. Makes for a very thick cuddly blanket. Added bonus is I get to think of & pray for each child as I make their blanket. Very calming & peaceful to work on.

25. Pixie says:

Did you block this when it was finished? I am making one currently and as it gets bigger it is not as square as I would like it to be.

Hi Pixie-

Joelle didn't block this. However, someone else we know had a problem similar to yours and it turned out that she was doing double crochet incorrectly. Here is a video on the double crochet stitch:

Please let us know if you have any further questions, and good luck with it!

27. Katie says:

Hi,
    I'm currently having the same problem as Celia and Pixie, I watched the youtube video and read the double crochet blog post and that's how I've been making my double crochets. Do you know of any other reason why this might be happening?

Thanks for your help and love this blanket!

Katie

Hi Katie-

We're sorry to hear you're having this problem. You might want to try experimenting using a different sized hook. If you're getting a rippled edge your tension might need to be tighter, and thus a smaller hook might help.

Please let us know if that helps!

29. cristine says:

My g-granmother made afghans like this all the time, and I tried to figure out the pattern on my own, but I was just a beginner. I'd like to do this one day!

30. Amy says:

I love making granny squares! They are about the only thing that I can crochet! I have made my twins son and daughter a large granny square afghan and am in the process of finishing my oldest son's. I've been using yarn that I've had in my stash to make a scrappy afghan. I am also in the process of making doll six afghans to donate to my mother of twin's group so that they can sell then at the annual convention. I am hoping people like them enough to buy them. Maybe they can raffle them off also. Anyway, I love granny squares and can't wait to make more afghans! I also love love love the color way used in this afghan!

31. Keslin says:

I am making my first 12 in granny square for a blanket that is roughly 90 x 80 or so. How many skeins and squares do you think I should aim for? ^.^ love your blanket!

Hi Keslin,
    That's a tough one. The original used 24 skeins of Koigu. Are you knitting it in Koigu? Those 24 skeins created a 30 inch x 30 inch blanket. I guess you could extrapolate from there.
    Laura