Giant Granny Square

This beautiful blanket sat unfinished and crumpled in a forgotten corner of Joelle's craftroom for at least two years. One day it somehow got unearthed, poking itself out from under a pile of fabrics. Page, Molly and I were simultaneously riveted by the vision of this amazing blanket that we'd never seen. Molly demanded to know, "Where has this been?!" I reprimanded, "Why haven't you finished it?!" Page yelled, "Can I have it?!" Why didn't I think of that?

Joelle was less impressed with herself than we were with her. She just kind of shrugged and said that she'd gotten too busy to finish it (true, she is busy). So I offered/got enlisted to crochet the last round and to sew in the ends.

It was a pleasure to spend time in the mind of Joelle's color sense. To me it's a marvel how she dreamed up these colors. Soft grays and creams blur behind sharp bursts of vivid pinks and rich browns, all mingling together in beautiful rainbow magic.

It's a simple notion - a granny square that goes on and on and on - but because the pattern is so pleasantly meditative, the mind is free to just wander from one color to the next, creating beautifully symphonic color music. There's no better instrument for such composing than Koigu's KPM. The hand-dyed colors strike every note perfectly!

This blanket is 30 x 30-inches and takes at least seven skeins to make. Joelle used more skeins in order to use more colors. Here's what they are:

For this warm toned version (from top to bottom):

Koigu's Koigu Premium Merino (KPM) in colors #2389, #1303, #2360, #1111, #2231, #1411, #1135, #1110, #1209, #2180, and #1201

Here's another color idea if you want to explore cooler tones (from top to bottom):

Koigu's Koigu Premium Merino (KPM) in colors #2411, #2171, #2409, #2405, #2416, #2403, #2360, #0000, #1201, #2100, #2180, #1230

Remember that tracking down exact matches of Koigu colors can be a little tricky at best, and impossible at worst. Luckily, Koigu makes so many gorgeous colors that substituting one of these colors with your own choice is bound to bring its own rewards.

This blanket has been on quite a journey. I think Joelle's love for it has been rekindled, and Page may have to make her own! If you'd like to make your own and want to learn how to make a granny square, please visit our Granny Square Tutorial!  --Whitney

82 Responses to Giant Granny Square

1. Helena says:

Wow, this is just gorgeous. I wish I had the time to sit down and complete a project such like this.

I love your work :)

2. Nicole says:

I was wondering if you can explain how to do the pattern. I'm trying to make a baby blanket for my daughter due late April and that's the pattern I want to use and I know how to do regular crochet just not the granny squares. and when I seen the name Joelle I thought that would be even more perfect cause my daughters middle name is actually going to be Joelle. Hopefully you can either recommend me to a site that does that pattern or type one out for me. please and thank you!!!!!

3. Nadia Lewis says:

Wow! The shifts are so subtle, but the overall effect so is dramatic!

4. Tammy says:

Stunning! It’s amazing how great color selection can make a granny square blanket look like a work of art. Of course, I will be yet one more that will try to capture that look!

5. meg (kiss my style) says:

6. Gudrun says:

Amazingly beautiful. I really want to make one.

7. Debbie says:

The blanket is so awesome! This makes me want to try to crochet again. I’ve never really taken to it, but I love this. Thank you!

8. G. says:

Ok. This inspired me. I have been working on an afghan for a friend for months now and am not satisfied with doing it in pieces. I love the colors, love the high-quality yarn, but the thought of piecing it together has been bugging me. I look on here today and AHA!! do a giant granny square! Or four of them. I may do something like that.

Thanks for being my “lightbulb” today.

9. Morgan says:

This is totally gorgeous!!! Love love love it.

10. andi says:

Very very beautiful indeed.
    Andi :-)

11. Lizzie says:

My mom makes these huge granny square blankets:) I got one when I graduated from high school and 20 years later, it’s still going strong. It feels like a hug.

12. Nadia Lewis says:

Wow! The shifts are so subtle, but the overall effect so is dramatic!

13. Melly G says:

This is the coolest thing I’ve seen in a really long time. Oh, now I want to make one of these so bad.

14. Cate says:

Oh this is so beautiful I want it too. I am really trying hard to teach my self to do this, thanks again for the inspiration, I love it!!

15. Cerise says:

That is so beautiful! And BIG! I don’t think I could make one that great looking.

16. Leah says:

I made a giant granny last year, and it’s very nice, but this post inspires me to try one out of luxe yarn rather than the usual Granny acrylic (urgh). This project is really pretty!

17. Tammy says:

18. LOVE this blanket, I want to learn crochet & this is the perfect project to learn on – great color choices as well

19. Gudrun says:

Amazingly beautiful. I really want to make one.

20. SamLaTricoteuse says:

Knittting Kit ?
    Why don’t you prepare kit in those gorgeous choice of colours ? or any choice for that matter.. For one, I would buy it in a sec..

21. Sans says:

Is one skein enough to go all the way around the outside edge?

22. Emily says:

Gorgeous! This may be the push I need to FINALLY learn how to crochet…. what size hook did Joelle use?

23. Not sure if my comment went through..
    Anyhow, what about having some kits ready – or other colour combination – pre-set for selling. I, for one, would buy right away..

24. yvette says:

wowowowowow!

Hi Everyone with questions, here you go!

I used a 3.25mm/US D crochet hook for the koigu

1 skein is enough to go around the outside edge

We don’t have kits put together for this project but would be happy to assemble some colors for you. Please contact us at the link below and let us know what you’d like color-wise. And maybe we’ll consider putting together some kits for this project in the future.

Thanks for all of your kind comments! –Joelle

26. Kelli says:

Ok – I have the same blanket in the same status in my stash! My colors are not nearly as beautiful as Joelles, but this post has inspired me to dig it out and finish it! Thank you!!

27. danielle says:

what a wonderful and beautiful idea! i love it!

28. Qalballah says:

I really want to be able to make things like this! Will have to have to a go. Pretty pretty colours. Well done team effort *high fives*

29. Sara says:

How many rounds were crocheted in order to make a blanket this size?

30. Lyanna J. says:

How pretty!! It reminds me of a few projects I did as a kid :)

I love the simplicity and endless possibilities of granny squares!

31. Debbie says:

32. G. says:

Thanks for being my "lightbulb" today.

33. Stephany says:

That is so beautiful! The colors are incredible.

34. Steph says:

Wow! I love this! I have made a couple of granny square blankies myself, and have recently thought of making another one… What an inspiration! I’m going to start one this week for sure after seeing this! Awesome work! The colors are quite stunning. I love the color-vibration it gives. Simply beautiful.

35. aurora says:

wow! colors are amazing –huh? the right ones can make a simple granny square so lovely…

36. Letty says:

WOW I love this, it is gorgeous!!

37. Pat H says:

I counted 43 rounds including the final round. Looks like 2 rounds per color, some colors repeated twice, since there were only 12 colors used throughout. Having been a long time crocheter myself, I think you did a wonderful job!

38. Tracie says:

I made two giant granny squares recently for two sweet new babies and their mamas love them too! I need to make one for my own bed now. This is so pretty and looks inviting.

39. Janna says:

Yes! Yes! I want to make one! I’ve been tinkering with individual granny squares and have been slightly annoyed with the idea of eventually having to piece them all together. This is my answer. Thanks for posting.

40. Steph says:

41. Jo says:

Most beautiful great-granny(that’s what I call it) I’ve ever seen! Very inspiring!

42. Love it, the colors are really amazing and I imagine it s quite long to do, I am not sure I would be patient enough to do that, this type of knitted blanket is very popular in my country too but this one is really a success!
    j adore vraiment, que de belles ides ici!

43. Ivana says:

It is fantasting, I love it!

44. Christi says:

Thanks so much for posting this. I’ve been making these like crazy – fun to work up and I love coming up with colors. Haven’t tried the KPM, but I’m looking for more variations (I use everything from Flickr photos to photos of my boy’s colorful clothing combos as inspiration) and hand-dyed seems to be the way to go! Again much thanks! I hope everyone tries this. If you need a readymade version, let me know! I love making them.

45. Laurie says:

Yes, yes! I want a kit also; will send email. I’ve been crocheting my first granny squares with the tutorial – what great fun!

46. vanessa says:

Absolutely stunning, and I’m so glad it’s been outed…………… it looks as though it was very satisfying to do, and the colours! Being covered in that blanket must be like being covered in a delicious rainbow.

47. purplecrone says:

II have been making these since I was 18..(61 yrs ago today) There are so many things you can do with granny squares.. I put six tohgether,(2x2x2) then do many rows around them and deliver them to the local nursing home for their Geri-chair patients… Also make smaller square (19") afghans from fine baby yarn, for the local N.I.C.U..(Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) and also knit little hats for them. donated 27 afghans last week.. also sew & put hand smocking on little gowns (for Baptism,dedications, or Naming of the little 1-2-3 lb babies. It is a rewarding pastime. If anyone lives in the Poughkeepsie,Wappingers Falls, Hopewell Jct area, contact me. I also teach at the East Fishkill Community Library each Thursday….c’mon down.. The Purple Crone..

48. Laurie says:

49. Sans says:

Aww, Happy Birthday, Purple Crone! Thanks for taking the time to make the world beautiful with your handiwork and your kind heart!

50. Claudine says:

It’s very beautiful, I am unable to do that -:( bravo et un grand bonjour de France !