Icarus Scarf

The Silken Straw yarns used to make this scarf are like blasts of sunshine. They shimmer and glisten and make me feel like I'm on a winged journey straight to the sun! Combining Alchemy's usual color wizardry with a beautifully nuanced texture, the effect is rustic and elegant at the same time. Definitely one of Purl's most sophisticated yarns, it crochets up into a very special scarf.

• 3 skeins of Alchemy's Silken Straw. These colors, from left to right, are Canary ("Color A" in the pattern), Michelle's Marigold ("Color B"), and Persimmon ("Color C").

The Pattern

6 single crochets = 1 inch, before blocking

Finished Size

4 inches wide x 64 inches long (including the fringe), after blocking

Notes

At the beginning of every row (except the first), skip the first stitch and start the row in the second stitch from the hook.

At the end of every row (except the first), make the final stitch into the top loop of the chain that you made at the beginning of the previous row.

When it's time to change colors, loosely carry the yarn that you need up the edge of the scarf. It doesn't matter if your edge looks a little messy because the fringe will cover it.

The Scarf

With Color A, chain 300 stitches (give or take a few).

Use Color B to chain 3 more stitches (counts as first half double crochet of next row).

Row 1: Make a half double crochet (hdc) in the third chain from the hook (the last Color A chain). Make 1 hdc in each chain to the end.

When making the last hdc of the row, make the first half of the hdc with Color B (yarn over and make a loop).

Then use Color C to pull a stitch through the three loops on the hook.

Turn the work.

Row 2: With Color C, chain 3, make a double crochet (dc) in each stitch.

When making the last stitch of the row, work the dc until you have 2 loops on the hook. Then use Color A to pull a stitch through the final two loops.

Turn the work.

Row 3: With Color A, chain 1, make a single crochet (sc) in each stitch.

When making the last stitch of the row, only work the first step of the sc so that you have 2 loops on the hook. Then use Color B to pull a stitch through the two loops.

Row 4: With Color B, chain 2, make a hdc in each stitch. Change colors at the end of the row the same way you did at the end of Row 1.

Repeat Rows 2-4 four more times.

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 one more time.

Cut the yarns and weave in your ends.

The Fringe

Cut 24 twelve inch pieces of each of the yarns.

Take one strand of each of the three colors, align their ends, and fold the yarns in half.

Insert the hook under at least two strands of yarn...

...and pull the fringe yarns through to form a loop.

Hook the tails of the fringe and pull them through the loop.

To finish, pull the tails tight.

Continue like this, making 12 fringes across each end of the scarf.

Block the scarf and wear it all spring!

19 Responses to Icarus Scarf

1. angelina says:

did you use all three skeins? that would be a very expensive scarf if you did.

2. Li_B says:

Thanks for wonderful basic crochet instructions. As a longtime knitter and new crocheter, I’ll be using this as a reference for future projects.

3. Bonnie says:

Oh, I like your new look – I’m also spoiled and do not crochet – do you have a knit version of this scarf? One day I’ll learn to crochet —- thank you for another exquisite project to inspire -

4. Becky M. says:

Thanks for showing how to start and stop a row, I’ve been crocheting for years and have been always puzzled by this: I can never seem to keep the same number of stitches in each row always ending up with too many or too few!

5. mamaTAVE says:

Absolutely beautiful! I love the colors you used. Very cheerful. I was hoping it would be a knitting pattern! I might have to try and add crochet to my repertoire…

6. Erica says:

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I am interested in the first comment’s answer too – did you use all three skeins or is there enough leftover for another scarf?

7. Mary Lee says:

Usually I’m “Eh…?” about yarn but I am GAGA over this one! Those fabulous colors…OH, MY…! Hello, Springtime!

8. Donna says:

Are 3 skeins enought to make two scarves? If so, it might be doable for a really special gift. Otherwise, too expensive for me but very pretty!

9. Laura says:

Whitney,

I LOVE the photos that accompany your patterns. They are beautiful, and even better than books or videos for so very clearly showing how to do whatever stitch is needed. They may even be better than learning in person, as a teacher so rarely holds work in such good light and in extreme closeup! Thank you so much.

10. Rosalie says:

This is a beautiful scarf! I'm still in the acrylic stage of crochet life, I really do have to get out more! These yarns are quite lovely. I crochet scarves for the Alaska Special Olympics and would like to use this pattern for a scarf or two for this coming 2012 Special O season. Will there be a problem using your pattern?
    Thanks for the great photos and clear instructions.

11. Lisa says:

I absolutely love the vibrancy of this scarf. The silk is very expensive so like the other people who have posted comments here, I too am interested to know how much yarn you used to crochet this item. I've been to Alchemy's website and I see that there is 40g in a ball, which is $32. If I can get two or three scarves out of three balls, well then it is better but if it takes three balls to make one scarf….

Any idea what the weight of your finished scarf was?

Hi Lisa,

The finished Icarus Scarf weighs 47 grams, just over one skein. So three skeins would definitely make 2 scarves, and maybe even three if you cut the fringe a little short. Of course, you would also need to switch around which colors you use for each row. It'll be fun to see the different results!

Thanks for your question – it's a good one!
    Whitney

13. Kristina F says:

I am about ready to block this. Any particular notes for blocking with this silk straw? I have only blocked a cotton crocheted doily that I hang in the window, and so used cornstarch and water. I definitely need to block this properly with that special yarn. Thanks in advance.

Hi Kristina,

Here's what I recommend: Soak your scarf in a sink full of tepid water and mild soap (like Soak, which is nice because you don't have to rinse it [ http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/search/?search_keywords=soak#searchResultTop ]. Ivory dish washing soap is also fine. People seem to agree that Woolite is not as gentle as advertised.) Rinse the scarf if you have to, and then squeeze the excess water out (don't wring or twist!). Next, roll the scarf in a dry towel and squeeze some more. Finally, lay your scarf out on another dry towel, being careful to straightening the edges and to not overstretch the scarf lengthwise so that it gets too skinny. Then just let it dry for a day or two!

Blocking is an important step for Silken Straw; it really transforms into a soft and supple yarn!

Thanks for the great question! And enjoy your Icarus Scarf!

Whitney

15. nana23 says:

I LOVE your directions….so clear and easy to SEE what you are supposed to do….what a beautiful scarf….gonna get started asap!!

16. Christie says:

Where do I purchase the colors suggested in the instructions? Can you use Red Heart yarn or does it have to be Alchemy's Silken Straw? Beautiful colors for sure–I just don't know whether I can buy that in the area where I live!

17. jen says:

Hi Christie,

The Silken Straw can be purchased on our website here: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/1408-Alchemy-Silken-Straw

You could use any yarn you wanted and follow the pattern but it isn't going to look the same in the end if it isn't Silken Straw or something similar in content and feel. I'm not sure there is anything else like it!

Jen

18. Kate says:

Hi! I'd love to work this up (silk running through my fingers? Yes please!) but I see you're sold out of the colors. Might you be able to recommend alternate color schemes? It's a bit hard for me to see the true colors online. Thanks for any help you can offer

Hi Kate-

Thanks so much for getting in touch. Please contact customerservice AT purlsoho DOT com and they will be happy to assist you in picking out another colorway.

Good luck with the project!