Summer Shimmer Scarf

A few months ago we received Pearl from Lorna's Laces, a worsted weight blend of silk and bamboo that drapes and shimmers like water over river stones. As soon as it came in I picked out a skein in my favorite color, Envy, and added it to my "someday soon" project basket. I thought about what I wanted to make and decided that I wanted to make a summer scarf that took only one skein, something simple and lacy. While I've done a ton of yarn-overs in my knitting career I have never actually made anything that would truly be considered to be lace so I was pleased to find that not only was this Zig Zag Lace Trellis pattern pretty, it was also very easy! For those of you, who like me, have been wanting to stick your toe into lace knitting, this is the perfect introduction. The yarn is wonderful to work with, the pattern is simple, and you'll be done with your scarf in no time! --Jen

• 1 skein of Lorna's Laces, Pearl (I used Envy, top left, other colors are some of my other favorites, top right Vera, bottom left Tickled Pink, bottom right Black Purl).
  • US size 9 needles (or size required to get gauge)
  • Tapestry Needle for finishing

Finished Measurements

5 inches wide by 74 inches long, blocked.

16 stitches and 20 rows = 4 inches in Zig Zag Lace stitch pattern

Note

This stitch pattern is worked on an even number of stitches

The Pattern

Cast on 20 stitches

Right leaning bias:
Row 1: K1 * yo, K2tog; rep from * to last stitch, end k1.
Row 2: Purl
Repeat these two rows 4 more times, for a total of 5 repeats.

Left leaning bias:
Row 1: K1, * ssk, yo; rep from * to last stitch, end k1.
Row 2: Purl
Repeat these two rows 4 more times, for a total of 5 repeats

Repeat from Right leaning bias 16 times more for a total of 17 repeats.

Bind of loosely in knit. Weave in ends and block.

42 Responses to Summer Shimmer Scarf

1. Robin Smith says:

Just a fabulous pattern. I hate lace knitting because I can’t rescue myself easily. This was quite easy to follow and looks great. I love how fast it knits up. Thanks!

2. Jeannie says:

I am such a novice…what’s a leaning? Does this mean if you are left handed or right handed? Sorry about such a moronic question! I can knit and I can purl and I can yo so I think I have the basic skills for this if only I knew what a leaning is! Many Thanks!

3. Ellen Q says:

Such a sweet little scarf. It looks great in the variegated yarn.

Hi Jeannie,
    If you look at the scarf you’ll notice that it goes in a vertical zig zag. Right leaning is the part where the scarf leans to the right and left leaning is the part where the scarf leans to the left. Just follow the pattern and disregard the “leaning” if it doesn’t make sense, once you get through it once you’ll see how it works. Good luck!

5. Martha says:

What a beautiful scarf. I am struggling to understand the abbreviation ‘ssk’ I can’t find it. Can you help? Thanks.

6. Betty Roberts says:

I would like to make the scarf using the yarn you used Lorna’s Lace Pearl Envy
    but that is more than I wanted to pay for yarn. What do you have that would be a little less expensive.
    Betty

Hi Betty,
    You should try Bonnie’s Bamboo from Farmhouse yarns which is 100% Bamboo. The skein is a little shorter but the drape and hand are very similar.

Hope this helps!

Hi Martha,
    “SSK” means “Slip, Slip, Knit” which is a left slanting decrease. Here is a link to our SSK tutorial
    Hope this explains it for you.

If you need further help, we highly recommend that you check out KnittingHelp.com, they’ve got excellent tutorials with videos for all kinds of techniques. Here is a link to their decreases page:

9. Becky says:

So pretty! Thanks for sharing!

10. Julie Kendall says:

I’m a yarn lover and a “died in the wool” crocheter but this lovely scarf is making me put down my hook and pick up my needles. I’m a little bit nervous though. Since I learned to crochet first, knitting just doesn’t come natural to me. (If only I had learned to knit as well as crochet when I was a child!) Thanks for adding the knitting-help links. I’m sure I”ll need them!

11. Liz says:

Love it!! now that I figured out what YO means I think I can do this!!

12. Robin says:

Just love this–I made two.
    The first I made as the pattern is written and the second, I made the long way. I casted on 170 sts on a long circular needle and followed the pattern for two repeats. It made a nice scarf and I had long bouts of purling that I could just speed through.

DO block it. It’s critical. Get it wet, run it through a spin cycle or a lettuce spinner. Then, lay it out on your ironing board or blocking board and PIN the points. Let dry. Just wonderful.

13. Lorna's Laces says:

Wow! That’s smashing! I just love me a one skein project….

14. Pat says:

My question is about blocking. Just get it wet? Soak for a while? Stretch it or just pin it? Also, Patons has a silk + bamboo yarn, has anybody tried that one? Oops, that was more than one question! Lovely scarf, by the way!

Hi Pat,
    You can soak it and lay it out flat and pin it, or you can pin it out and spray it, either way will work. Don’t know about the yarn from Patons, just check the gauge, if its the same you can use it by just following the pattern, if not, you can adjust the amount of stitches appropriately.

16. Natalie says:

I would like to try lace knitting on a laceweight 100% cashmere yarn. Do you think this pattern would work, or is there another pattern you would recommend? I took a look at the mohair pattern but it looks a bit too complicated. Thanks!

Hi Natalie,
    This pattern would be beautiful in lace weight cashmere! You will probably want to cast on more stitches than recommended since the cashmere is so much thinner than this yarn. If you are using the Jade Sapphire 2 ply cashmere or the Lobster Pot 2 ply cashmere, we would recommend no larger than a US size 5 or 6 needle. Cast on an even amount of stitches and follow the pattern as written.
    Good luck!

18. cUrlzandCURVES says:

Ok so i did the ssk:yo and it decreased a stitch but for some reason my stitches are off. When I came to the end of the left bending row my count was off and i could not complete the row…where did I go Wrong/

19. Gabriella says:

how do I fix a missed stitch in this pattern? I have been working on this and 3/4 eay into it I noticed a missed stitch in my previous row and am afraid that I may ruin it!

Hi Gabriella,

There's really no trick to taking out this stitch, but I can offer you some”unknitting” tips! When you get to a yarn over from the previous row, just drop it, let it go! And when you get to a decrease (a k2tog or an ssk), make sure you put your needle through both stitches so you don't lose one.

I hope this helps. Be brave and good luck!

Whitney

21. Nancy Creed` says:

Why can't I print this? I have a friend who tried also. No luck.

Hi Nancy-

The best way to print our patterns is to copy and paste the text of the pattern into a Text or Word document. We know this isn't ideal but it's the easiest way to do it as of this time. It is something we are working to address, so thank you for writing in and voicing your concern.

Thanks!- Molly

23. Roe says:

I love the pattern but I've tried this pattern 4 times and when I get to the left leaning I start to decrease and my pattern gets smaller and smaller. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Hi Roe-

Each knit row in the pattern contains equal amounts of increases and decreases. For the right leaning section the increase is a yarn over (yo) and the decrease is a k2tog (knit 2 together). For the left leaning section the increase is a yarn over (yo) and the decrease is a slip, slip, knit (ssk). This means that after each row you should have the same amount of stitches as when you started.

I suspect that something is going wrong with the yarn overs in the left leaning section. Make sure that after you do each slip slip knit and yarn over pair that you have 2 stitches. If you need help with yarn overs you might want to check out this videa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI4rbwC3dqI

Hope this helps. Thanks for your question!

25. Lynn says:

If I was using a DK yarn and wanted a shawl to be about 16″ wide, how many cast ons would I need? Thank you!

Hi Lynn-

To figure this out you'll need to do a gauge swatch in this pattern with the yarn and needles you want to use. Once you figure out how many stitches you're getting per inch you can multiple that number by your desired width (in this case 16). Make sure that you cast on an even number. If you want more info about knitting a gauge swatch please check out our tutorial here.

Thanks for writing in!

27. Barbara says:

Just finished this scarf, wore it today and was disappointed that the sides rolled in and did not show the design. How can I correct this on the next scarf? I did not use the recommended yarn – would that make the difference? I love the design so want to show it off.

Hi Barbara-

Whether a scarf curls or not does not depend on the yarn, but rather the stitch. This stitch will curl slightly but you can reduce the curling by blocking it. Here is a blocking tutorial: http://www.purlbee.com/blocking-tutorial/

Thank you for your question!

29. Sharon Hilts says:

Love this scarf. But I am half way through and I am wondering if I am following the pattern correctly. I have been doing Right leaning Row 1 , Row 2, and then I go to the left leaning Row 1 and Row 2 and then back up to the Right Leaning Row 1 and Row 2, then to the Left leaning Row 1 and 2 and so on.
    Should i have been doing the Right leaning bias first for 5 repeats and then the Left leaning bias for 5 repeats and so on? Thank you so much for your help.

Sharon

Hi Sharon, Here are some notes from Jen:

the pattern is actually to repeat the right leaning bias for 5 repeats and then the left leaning bias for 5 repeats:

Right leaning bias:
    Row 1: K1 * yo, K2tog; rep from * to last stitch, end k1.
    Row 2: Purl
    Repeat these two rows 4 more times, for a total of 5 repeats.

Left leaning bias:
    Row 1: K1, * ssk, yo; rep from * to last stitch, end k1.
    Row 2: Purl
    Repeat these two rows 4 more times, for a total of 5 repeats

Repeat from Right leaning bias 16 times more for a total of 17 repeats.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. Thanks! -Laura

31. carol says:

Thanks so much for the yo before the knit video!!!!! I was ready to give up and just crochet a different lace scarf!!!! You saved the life of my knitting needles.

32. thekatalist says:

when you say repeat from right leaning for 16 repeats does that mean to alternate between right and left repeats? the way it's written it seems like you don't use left leaning again after the first time…

33. jen says:

Hi,

In response to the comment left by “thekatalist” The pattern states to repeat FROM the right leaning bias for a total of 16 times. So, you'll go through the right leaning bias and then the left 16 more times.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Jen

34. Beth says:

Curling seems to be a significant problem with this otherwise lovely pattern. Can this be ameliorated with the addition of some kind of edge stitching, and if so, what would you suggest?

Hi Beth-

This pattern does curl but we wouldn't suggest adding a boarder. Instead we would suggest blocking it every so often.

Thank you for your question!

36. Lisa says:

Love this scarf. Just started it this morning. Drooling over the Lorna's Lace yarn but alas am on a yarn diet. So for now used somehing from my stash. That Lorna's Lace will have to go on the wish list.

37. Lindsay says:

How do you do the ssk first before the yo. As far as I know ssk is when you take two
    St off
    the left hand needle onto the right and then take your left hand needle and place through the front of the two stitches and then knit into the back with right needle. Where does
    The yo come.

Thanks

38. jen says:

Hi Lindsay,

The Yarn Over comes right after you do the SSK. Here is a link to a tutorial on SSK:

After you've done that decrease stitch, you will do the YO and keep continue with the pattern.

Hope that helps!

Jen

39. Mary Ellen Boswortn says:

Since the Lorna lace is no longer available, what yarn would you recommend using?
    I have been looking for a summer scarf pattern and I want to make this one. It looks gorgeous.
    Thank you.

40. Jen says:

Hi Mary Ellen,

Technically any sport weight yarn would work – of ours that we carry I think the Silk + Alpaca will give the most similar drape. You can find that and all our Sport Weight yarns at the link below:

Jennifer

41. Denise says:

Just starting to learn to knit. Would a cotton thread, like Aunt Lydia's crochet thread 10 be good to use?

Hi Denise-

We are not familiar with that particular yarn but it sounds like it will be a bit thin. You should look for yarn that is DK or Worsted weight.

Thank you for your question!