Tooth Fairy Bags

We thought we'd try to make the whole Tooth Fairy ritual a little more fun by making a colorful bag complete with a special tooth-shaped pocket for the baby tooth. The Tooth Fairy can take away the tooth and leave the loot in the bag.

This is a really quick project. So quick that you might want to whip up a few in different colors for the different kids (and teeth!) in your life.

To make 1 3-inch x 3-inch bag:

Cutting

Trace the tooth template on the ecru felt and cut it out.

Cut the bright felt into a 3-inch x 8-inch rectangle.

Cut the yarn into two 14-inch pieces.

The Top Hems

Fold and pin each short side in 1/2 an inch towards the wrong side.

Using the bright embroidery thread, sew these folds down with a small running stitch. You will later thread the drawstring through the small tube created by these hems, so make sure not to sew them closed.

The Tooth

Fold the piece in half right side facing, so the two hems meet up at the top.

Place the tooth shape in the center of the folded piece and pin it down to the top layer of felt.

Using the ivory embroidery thread sew the tooth in place keeping the top open to create a little pocket as shown above.

Sewing up the Sides

Fold the piece in half again with the right side facing out and the top hems matching.

Pin the sides closed.

Using the bright embroidery thread sew both of the sides closed with a small running stitch and stop at the top hem. Do not sew alll the way to the top, leave the tubes created by the top hems open.

Adding the Drawstrings

Thread a large, dull needle point needle with one of the 14-inch pieces of yarn and pull it through one of the top hem tubes.

Then turn around and thread the same length through the opposite tube.

Tie a knot at the end of the length of yarn.

Repeat this on the opposite side of the top hem with the other 14-inch length of yarn.

Trim both of the ends of the yarn drawstrings...

... and you'll be able tighten the top of the bag by pulling on the opposite drawstrings.

Now all you have to do is wait for the Tooth Fairy!

31 Responses to Tooth Fairy Bags

1. Marrissa says:

These are adorable! I can’t wait to make some!

2. Debbie says:

I love it! Thank you for sharing. :)

3. miosotis says:

Lovely idea! Sadly tooth fairy never visited my pillow but I will surely make these for my boy.

4. Meg says:

My guys are a couple of years away from losing teeth but I think these will do the trick nicely. Thanks so much!

5. Winn says:

I love this super simle super cool & cute tutorial!! I added to my blog which includes favorite tutorials and finds online, my personal bookmark of what i love ;) (xboutiquex.blogspot)

6. megan says:

My little girl just lost her front tooth a few days ago. I wish I would have had one of these pretties (way better than the sandwich bag *gack* that we used!!)- -well, now I’ll be ready for next time!

7. Samantha at TwoHeartsTogether says:

how clever and cute are those? I love them thanks for the great tutorial and pictures!
    I posted a link to your site on my craft blog so my viewers can hop over to your and get the great tutorial too!

Thanks for sharing
    Samantha at TwoHeartsTogether

8. Rebekah says:

I’m new to this site, can I sell these once I make them?

Hi Rebekah,
    Thank you so much for your interest in our site. All of the projects on this site are copyrighted by purl and purlsoho.com and may not be used for resale. They are here for your personal enjoyment and to give as gifts. Thanks so much for your question.
    The Purl Bee.

10. Terri says:

I’ve never sewn or embroidered … the directions were great which made it an easy project! My little niece just lost her first tooth this week so she’ll have this ready for the other toothies that will follow. I hope her younger sister will also use this little bag. Thank you so much for this great project!

11. kat says:

These are too cute. cannot wait to make them!

12. berkeleymomma says:

This is fabulous, my daughter and I just made one. It was so simple she did most of her own stitching. I loved the un-evenness of the stitches and contrasting thread she picked out. Very sweet!

13. Meg says:

Thanks so much. I just made one for my 5 year old who is very excited about his first loose tooth!

14. marcia says:

Adorei seus trabalhos.abraços

15. vinobaby says:

Thanks so much your your cute idea and clear, concise directions. I am not a crafter, but was able to make this easily and was thrilled with the results. I posted a link on my blog to pass along. http://www.vinobaby.blogspot.com

16. Kelly says:

This pattern is wonderful, just what I was looking for. Simple but beautiful.

17. Kylie says:

These look great – thanks for the tutorial – thinking that I will have to make one up for my little girl BEFORE she losses her first tooth. Would you mind if I made a few to sell at the school fete? All proceeds go to the school PandC.

Hi Kylie-

Thank you so much for your kind comment and question. We are so flattered that you'd like to sell these at your school sale, however all of our patterns are for non-commercial use only so unfortunately it won't be possible. Good luck with the sale and thanks again for getting in touch.

- Molly

19. Lily M says:

Super cute and super easy too! I'm pretty sure even uncrafty me can handle these. Thanks!

20. Brandie says:

LOVE this! My daughter is getting ready to lose her first tooth anytime. I was happy the materials were so simple (we had them all here) and was pleased I didn't have to lug out my sewing machine to do it. We used fun ribbon instead of string and added some jewels, securing them with hot glue. Now, we are REALLY excited about the tooth fairy coming to visit! Thanks!!!

21. Sarah Yewman says:

Simple, effective and we're just waiting for the first tooth to fall out!

22. stephanie says:

I love this! I am featuring it on my blog right now! Thanks for sharing!

23. Maria Nina says:

Wow this is so wonderful.
    Kids will love this!

24. Rad says:

Great tutorial! Thks Purl Bee! :)

25. chantalma says:

je te remercie de nous avoir partager ton tuto
    je me suis régaler et j'en ai fait plusieurs que tu trouveras dans mon blog
    un grand merci

26. Little Blue's Room says:

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I re-created this bag for my son. Thanks for helping me make his “loose tooth”experience special and for helping make a great blog post too! http://littlebluesroom.blogspot.com/2013/01/from-tooth-fairy.html

27. wenmar says:

such a lovely idea im gonna make some for my gran children thank you ..

28. sylvie la GB says:

Thank you !!! Just made one for my daughter, to be placed in her Advent calendar. So easy, so cute !! Thank you very much for sharing !
    Sylvie

29. Christina says:

Thank you so much for this- I can't wait to make one for my son!