Crocheted Linen Grocery Tote

It's always a good time to eschew the plastic bag in favor of an earth friendly one. My favorite choice is the netted grocery tote. It has all the conveniences of a plastic bag and none of the detriments. I love that it scrunches up into a tiny ball inside my purse, weighs nothing, and fits more groceries than I can even carry - magic!

Our knit version of this bag has been a perennial favorite at Purl (check out Elisa's Nest Tote), so here, finally, is a crocheted option. It's made out of Louet's Euroflax Linen, which is as durable as it is beautiful. My favorite summertime yarn, the Euroflax has the rawness of a hardworking natural linen, balanced by a delicate luster and a graceful drape. Buying groceries will never be the same!

The Materials

The Pattern

5 1/2 single crochets = 1 inch

Finished Size

Approximately 17 inches tall x 11 inches wide and very expandable.

The Bottom

Chain 6 and slip stitch into the first chain to form a ring.

Round 1: Make 11 single crochets (sc) into the ring.

Note: Mark the first stitch of the next round with a removable stitch marker, safety pin or paper clip.

Round 2: Make 2 sc into each stitch of the round. (22 stitches)

Note: You can now remove the stitch marker because through Round 6 the end of the round is obvious, and after that the end of the round won't matter.

Round 3: *Chain 2, 1 sc into next stitch, repeat from * to end of round. (22 chain loops)

Round 4: *Chain 4, 1 sc into 2 chain loop, repeat from * to end of round.

Round 5: *Chain 6, 1 sc into 4 chain loop, repeat from * to end of round.

Round 6: *Chain 8, 1 sc into 6 chain loop, repeat from * to end of round.

The Body

NOTE: As you begin this section you may worry that your bag is really more of a flat doily. But as you continue, the slack of the center bottom increases will eventually be taken up, and the doily will, in fact, become a tube!

*Chain 8, 1 sc into 8 chain loop, repeat from *, spiraling up until bag measures 16 inches from the center bottom to the top edge. (Tug the bag in all directions and lay it flat to measure.)

The Handles

Note: Mark the first stitch of the next round with a removable stitch marker. Reposition the marker at the beginning of each round to mark the first stitch of the new round.

Round 1: Continuing in the same 8 chain loop, make 6 sc. Then make 7 sc into each 8 chain loop to the end of the round. (161 stitches)

Round 2: 1 sc into each stitch.

Round 3: 1 sc, chain 50, skip 25 stitches, 1 sc into next stitch...

... 1 sc into next 54 stitches, chain 50, skip 25 stitches, 1 sc to end of round.

Round 4: 1 sc into next stitch, 50 sc into 50 chain loop,...

... 1 sc into each stitch until next handle, 50 sc into 50 chain loop, 1 sc into each stitch to end of round.

Round 5: 1 sc into each stitch to end of round.

Slip stitch into the first stitch of the round, cut the yarn and pull it througn the remaining stitch.

Weave in the ends and toss your tote into the washer and dryer. The more you wash it, the softer it gets!

62 Responses to Crocheted Linen Grocery Tote

1. jeanie says:

I tried the pattern again, and end up with a large pizza cover..
    Is spiraling a crochet term? If so what does it mean that I have not donw.

HI Jeanie,

“Spiraling up” isn't an official crochet term, but what it means is that you just continue to work around and around without paying attention to the end of the round. Sometimes in a crochet pattern, you make a slip stitch at the end of the round, chain an appropriate number of stitches, and work another round. But in this case, you don't have to worry about any of that!

Keep trying and good luck!
    Whitney

3. Mackenzie says:

Thank you! This looks magnificent in white!

4. Karine says:

Thank you for this tutorial ! I'm french and it's my first english work.I've choosen it easy! wow, I hope I'll manage to crochet it ! (If I finish to understand and the tutorial…)
    Thanks a lot, it looks very beautiful, I hope mine will be the same…
    Bye,Karine

5. MadreLayana says:

Hi Whitney,
    I'm having the same problem some had before: I have no clue how can I "Spiraling up" without having a doyle shaped result.
    I was wondering if the others (who had problems) managed to make the bag, and how.
    I'd love to make it!
    Thanks anyway for the pattern :)

6. Anita says:

I am having the same problem. I am ending up with a large doily instead of a tube shape. Clearly I am not mastering the "spiraling up" technique. Can anyone help?

Hi MadreLayana and Anita,

I think that people who are getting "doilies" are somehow increasing their stitches, so I would recommend counting your stitches periodically to make sure that the number of 8-chain loops is staying the same.

Also, are you making one single crochet into the loop and then chaining 8 to the next loop where you make one single crochet? You should be. Are you just going around and around without regard to the beginning and end of the round? You should be!

I'd love if a reader who solved his or her doily problem would write in with the magic solution! Otherwise, I hope these tips straighten you both out.

Thank you for your questions and good luck!
    Whitney

8. MadreLayana says:

Hi Whitney,
    I finally finished my bag! My mistake was closing the first rounds with a slip stitch, therefore I didn't get a spiral from the beginning.
    Thank you very much for the help.
    Best,

9. sandy says:

Hi,
    I am sorry, but I keep getting a doily too,instead of a tube shape.I have read the instructions six times.Plus I have gone through all the 50 and odd comments too.What am I doing wrong?Could you help please.Maybe, if you could follow the instructions and start crocheting a bag, you might also get a doily and that might help.But it baffles me as to how many commenters wrote in with their success stories.How DID they get a bag?Why does mine keep becoming a doily?
    Thanks for your patience.

Hi Sandy,

It's been so long since I made this bag, that I took your advice and decided to make another! I believe that you and everyone else who fears that his or her bag is a doily rather than a tube has just not worked far enough along. It's true that for quite awhile it seems that the shape is going to remain flat, but after you have worked up the slack from the center bottom increases, things really do start to take proper shape!

I've added a note to the pattern so that people will be prepared for the journey. I hope this explanation resolves your problem. If not, then we'll take another look! Thank you so much for your question and good luck!

Whitney

11. Penny says:

I, too am having the above issue with the doily look. I am not increasing stitches at the SC then chain 8. I am new to crocheting~~~at what place in the next chain do you SC? Does it matter? Maybe that is why I have the doily look. I have been SC in the 3rd or 4th loop of the chain. I am 6ish inches in to the bag~~~~ Doily :)
    Thank you.

Hi Penny,

You don't actually make the single crochet in a chain stitch. Instead (and much more easily), you make the single crochet into the chain loop, which means that you put your hook below the chain into the space created by the previous round's chain. Just right into that hole!

And as far as the doily problem goes, I think you still haven't worked far enough along. Your bag should take on its tube shape in the next few inches or so!

Thanks for your questions and please let us know if you have any more!

Whitney