Koigu Basket Weave Baby Blanket

My friend Aimee is due in November.  She and her husband are one of the few couples I know who haven't found out if they are having a boy or a girl.  I love the idea of not knowing as the parent, but it sure does make it harder to choose colors when you are the gift giver!  I wanted to make something colorful and cheerful that would suit either a boy or a girl, but not too bright because Aimee prefers softer colors.  I also wanted the finished product to be washable, of course.  When I started thinking about this blanket, we had just received a new shipment of Koigu KPPPM (their multi-color 4 ply merino).  I chose a bright color that caught my eye and decided to knit it together with a strand of natural white Koigu KPM (their single-color 4 ply merino) to soften the overall color of the blanket.  This blanket has so many possibilities since you use two strands held together to work the blanket.  For instance, a solid other than natural white could be used to emphasize one of the colors from the multi, or you could use eight skeins of the same multi to achieve a more saturated look.   Enjoy! --Jen

• 18 stitches = 4 inches in basket weave stitch (please note: yarn is doubled throughout)

Finished Measurements

• Approximately 29-inches square

The Pattern

With one strand of each color held together, cast on 132 stitches.

Knit 2 rows.

Rows 1 - 20:  K18, p16, *k16, p16; repeat from * to last two stitches, k2.

Rows 21 - 40:  K2, *p16, k16; repeat from * to last two stitches, k2.

Repeat these 40 rows four more times.

Knit 2 rows.

Bind off loosely.

Use tapestry needle to sew in ends.

32 Responses to Koigu Basket Weave Baby Blanket

1. mares41 says:

I love this pattern. My sister knits these blankets for all family and friends who are expecting babies. And they hold up great! My children still have them and one of them uses them for her children. My children’s ages are 19, 25 and 32…….and they still think they are wonderful. Of course, my sister made them very large when she knitted them.
    Mares

2. deb says:

I love this blanket!!! And, the colors. Now…. babies in the process have been born.. will need to wait for the next batch.

3. Lisa Ashby says:

I love this tutorial and included it in my Tutesday roundup on my blog at http://www.lisaashby.com. :)

Lisa

4. stacie says:

I can’t wait to start this! I ordered the yarn today…118A + 1240 (an orange color, instead of white). Thanks for posting this project.

5. Melissa says:

I have chose this as my first knit project, and it has definitely been a learning experience, but I am getting there! I’m wondering, how do I know if my tension is right?

6. Esta says:

How does one avoid creating a “gap” when you change from knit to purl. i find whenever I make this basket pattern it gapes a bit in those seems. Do I just hold the yarn tighter when I put the yarn to the front and back of the work?

7. Melissa says:

Esta, That is what I have learned because I seem to have the same issue… My real problem is that it doesn’t measure up to being 29″ square. I have my last row of twenty to do, and it is going to measure at approximately 29″W X 15″L. Is there anything you recommend I do?

Hi Melissa and Esta,
    Sometimes knitters are looser on the purl side then the knit side, which might be creating the problem. You shouldn’t be pulling tight when you switch the yarn from front to back, however the yarn shouldn’t be loose either. I wonder if you are somehow wrapping the yarn over the needle instead of between the needles? If your project is ending up too short the easiest fix would be to add a few more repeats to lengthen the project. If you are in NYC please feel free to drop by the shop for more personal help.
    Joelle

9. Esta says:

Maybe I am looser when I transfer to the purl stitch as it does appear to be on that side more than the knit side. I definitely am not going over the needles. I never seem to have a problem when I do a k2p2 rib or some variant, (I’m making a k5p5 basketweave scarf and the same happened to a basketweave blanket of k10p10 it had a bit of gaping between the changes). I may bring in my work and look at your lovely yarn soon.

10. Melissa says:

Is this blanket supposed to be blocked?

Hi Melissa,
    This blanket would probably benefit from blocking but it really depends on the knitter.

12. charlee says:

I just finished this for the first time and it it the easiest and prettiest patterns I have done that look so nice and have great texture to it! I would love to share a photo it came out to nice!

13. Melissa says:

For another version of the basketweave blanket, you might try my pattern, which features a pretty eyelet border. It can be found at http://www.forgive490.com. Click on “Blankets for Romania’ and scroll down to the links for the free patterns. (Mine is the knitted one.) A picture of the project comes with the pattern.

14. amanda says:

I love this pattern…simple yet cute. however, may I point out that in this yarn this would be a $116 baby gift. yikes. of course you can substitute or make it smaller, but it just struck me how expensive this was for a baby gift. or maybe it isn’t in new york?

15. susan says:

I am making a similar blanket right now and I am adding a pretty border of bead stitch to help keep it flat with no curling. About 6 rows in and then begin the basket weave squares. I love the colored yarn you picked. I will have to lieven up my next one from the baby pink I have now.

16. patricia says:

love this pattern. want to make it larger – what are the multiples used to make this blanket bigger?
    patricia

Hi Patricia-

You'll need to cast on a multiple of 16 plus 4 to resize this blanket.

Thanks for your question!

18. Judith gazzola says:

Hi, I want to make this beautiful blanket as a throw. How do I calculate how much yarm to buy? Thank you for any suggestions. Judith

Hi Judith,

The best way to calculate how much yarn you'll need is to first figure that a 29 x 29 inch blanket is 841 square inches and uses 8 skeins of yarn. Next, determine the square inches of the throw you want to make, then divide that number by the square inches of this blanket, then multiply that number by 8.

For example, a 36 x 52 inch throw: 36 x 52 = 1,872 square inches divided by 841 = 2.22 x 8 (skeins) = 17.8. So you would want to buy 18 skeins of Koigu KPM (9 of each color).

Please let me know if you want help calculating for a specific size. I'd be happy to do it!

Whitney

20. Judith says:

Thanks so much Whitney. This is really helpful information. I think I can take it from here!

Judith

21. Judith says:

Hi Whitney,

Just want to make sure I'm on track- I want to make a throw 44×60 so that equals 2640 sq inches divided by 841 = 3.139 x 8 =25.11. I bought 26 skeins- 13 in each color. Is that right? I had the yarn wound and it doesn't look like it's going to reach the dimentions.

Should I cast on until I reach 44 inches making sure I have the right multiples or is there a calculation for that? I'm planing on 5 stitches on each side for the border sides and 5 rows top and bottom. Also stitching 10 knits and 10 purls- I think a slightly larger basket weave might look better on a big blanket- your thoughts?

Thanks so much- I'm a fairly new to knitting- sorry if I'm asking dopey questions. Really appreciate your help and I love the website and the store.
    Judith

Hi again Judith,

I think that 26 skeins should do it (provided you get the proper gauge of 18 stitches to 4 inches). If you're worried about it, you can buy extra skeins and leave them unwound so that in case you don't use them you can exchange them later. It can be very difficult to find the same colors twice with Koigu, so keep that in mind too!

As far as casting on goes, you should first make sure you're getting the proper gauge by doing a gauge swatch. If you're unfamiliar with this concept, you may want to check in with our Not Too Tight Tutorial here: http://purlbee.squarespace.com/not-too-tight-tutorial/

Then you'll want to cast on 200 stitches which will give you 10 border stitches (5 on each side) and 19 blocks of 10 stitches each. I arrived at this number by multiplying the gauge (4.5 stitches = 1 inch) by the width (44 inches).

I hope this helps!

Whitney

23. Jennifer says:

I started this blanket and ended up losing count of my stitches and it looked funky. I'm starting it again, but do you have any tips for a beginning for that? I've tried markers and I end up forgetting what the markers mean.

Hi Jennifer-

We would recommend markers. Place them at every point where you are to change from knitting to purling. You can also use a row counter to count the rows. Unfortunately there is no easy fix for this but you'll be able to recognize where you have knit or purled as you get more experienced. Also, if you get very lost, you can always bring it in to our store- or most any local yarn store- and they should be able to tell you where you are.

Hope this helps! Thanks for your question and good luck!

25. Eileen says:

My basketweave blanket which I have made many times is a combination of seed and garter stitch . Odd numbers of sections and odd numbers of stitches in each section make it almost mistake proof
    eg 9x9x9 . 9st garter /9st seed across for nine rows ,Then switch to 9st seed /9stgarter for nine rows . Odd numbers have a big advantage in that the first and last section are always the same and each seed section starts with a knit st no matter what side you are on . I have experimented and found that 7st or bigger sections work out best . It is totally reversible as well.
    The perfect car trip or commuter take along.

26. tina says:

I love this blanket and have been looking for a pattern for a blanket that wasn't overly complicated but wasn't just a plain garter stitch. I can't wait to start it. One question. I know you used one strand of each. Does this need to be knitted as a double strand? Or can I just do it was a regular one strand knit?

Hi Tina-

You need to double this particular yarn to get the correct gauge. However if you use a thicker yarn you should be able to get the gauge (18-stitches over 4 inches in the basket weave stitch) without doubling it. A light worsted weight yarn should be able to get the correct gauge without doubling.

Thank you so much for your question and good luck with the project!

28. Kelly says:

I can't seem to find color 119 anywhere. Do you have another suggestion that would produce a similar result?

29. Jen says:

Hi Kelly,

Color 812 or 812x are the most similar to 119. They are the fifth row down, 2nd and 3rd skein over.

Jen

30. Elizabeth says:

Hi! I tried to post this earlier, but I'm not sure it worked because I got an error message, so please forgive any duplicate posts! Anyhow, could you please tell me: Do you think Koigu Premium Merino in 2360 is a good complimentary color to Koigu Painter's Palette 539 for this project? The 2360 seems to be a bone color that would work nicely with the blue/green/brown/taupe tones of the 539.

Thank you for your help and your always-inspiring blog.

31. Jen says:

Hi Elizabeth,

The 2360 seems too brown to me for the 539. If you want a neutral to work with the 539, I would use 2411. If you want a greenish color that matches 539, I would go with 1532.

Jen