Granny Square Slippers

My cousin Katie recently spent some time in the Republic of Georgia and brought me back these amazing blue and pink crocheted slippers. She reported that similar slippers were for sale at all the marketplaces, always in bright and unexpected color combinations.

Upon closer inspection, I saw that each slipper was made up of six equally sized granny squares. How beautifully simple! I love when intelligent design meets handcraft, when innovative engineering meets a house slipper.

For my take on the traditional design, I wanted the slippers to look even more homespun and funky, so I used Manos del Uruguay's Handspun Semi Solid yarn. I think the unevenness of the spin and the variations in the kettle dyed colors add a little cozy character to the slippers.

Adjusting the size of these slippers is so easy that I made a pair for both my husband and me. I'm really looking forward to a cozy winter in our matching slippers!

The Materials

Women's Slippers

Men's Slippers

• 3 skeins of Manos del Uruguay's Handspun Semi Solids. These colors are, from the top, Cinnamon V, Rust U, and Coffee G. (If you're following my pattern exactly and making both pairs of slippers, you will only need one skein of the Rust color.)
  • A US size G crochet hook.
  • A tapestry needle.

The Pattern

4 1/4 single crochets = 1 inch

Finished Sizes

Women's Slippers:  9 1/4 inches long - to fit women's US shoe sizes 7 - 9 1/2

Men's Slippers:  11 1/2 inches long - to fit men's US shoe size 9 - 11 1/2

How to Adjust the Size

If you know the length of the foot that is going to wear the slipper you can custom fit the slippers by adjusting the size of the granny squares. You can crochet two, three, or four rounds and then fine tune the sizing by adding rounds of single crochet around the outside edge.

The final length of the slipper is the measurement from one corner of a square to the opposite corner, times two, plus 1/4 of inch (the 1/4 of an inch is a result of sewing the peices together).

This square from the Women's Slipper measures 4 1/2 inches x 2 = 9 inches + 1/4 inch = a total length of 9 1/4 inches.

Please also note that the sizing can be quite approximate. The slippers seem to comfortably fit a wide range of sizes.

Women's Slippers

Each slipper is comprised of six granny squares (12 squares total for a pair). (Please visit our Granny Square Tutorial if you've never made a granny square or need a refresher.) Each square is three rounds plus a round of single crochet around the outside edge.

(At the corners of the outside round of single crochet, make a single crochet into the corner, chain 1 and make another single crochet into the corner.)

Here is how I arranged the colors for the Women's Slippers:

Assembling

Crochet the squares together by passing the hook under the two strands of the single crochet of one square, and then under the strands of the adjacent stitch of the square you are joining.

Pull the yarn through and make a single crochet.

Keeping track of the placement and order of the squares can be tricky. I found the easiest way was to start with the center of the sole, to work my way around one Side Square and then the other, and then to cut the yarn. Then I crocheted around the Toe, cut the yarn, and finally attached the Heel Square.

Confused? Here's a visual step by step:

Join a Side Square to a Sole Square.

Attach the Toe Square to the next side of the Side Square.

Make single crochets along the next side of the Side Square.

Attach the other Sole Square to the remaining side of the Side Square.

Continuing along this Sole Square, join one side of the other Side Square.

Attach the next side of the Side Square to the Toe Square.

(When you are at a place where three squares meet, you should end up with two single crochets in each corner space.)

Complete the Side Square by joining its remaining side to the Sole Square. Cut the yarn.

Join new yarn, and connect the Toe Square to the Sole Square, up one side...

...and down the other. Cut the yarn.

With the Sole side facing you, join new yarn...

...and attach the Sole Square to the Heel Square.

Turn the corner of the Heel Square, and begin the next side by joining it to the Side Square. Just as you have been doing, insert the hook under the single crochet strands of the outside edges.

After three stitches...

...continue along the Heel Square without attaching it to anything. Just make a single crochet edge along the side, around the corner and down the other side, stopping three stitches short of the end.

For the final three stitches, attach the Heel Square to the Side Square the same way you did on the other side.

After you weave in all your ends, here's what the top and bottom of the completed slippers should look like. Ready to wear!

Men's Slippers

Like the Women's Slippers, each Men's Slipper is comprised of six granny squares, twelve squares total. (Please visit our Granny Square Tutorial if you've never made a granny square or need a refresher.) Each square is four rounds (unlike the Women's Slippers, there is no outside edge of single crochet for this size slipper).

Here is how I arranged the colors for the Men's Slippers:

Assembling

Crochet the squares together the same way the Women's Slippers are done (see "Assembling" above). The end result will look like this:

Don't wear your slippers alone if you can help it!

54 Responses to Granny Square Slippers

1. Kelli says:

These are super cute. This project is great for holiday gifts! Thank you!

2. Jen says:

This is the best crochet project EVER (all I can crochet is granny squares)! Thanks so much for this idea!

3. Kat says:

I have a ton of Manos and was thinking of making a Granny Square blanket with it – but these are PERFECT! Guess what everyone’s getting for the holidays!

4. Tracie says:

These are so awesome and yet I’m laughing too! I am going to bookmark this project for sure!

5. Bethel of Bethania says:

I remember having a pair of house slippers something like these & when they wore out Mum made them with that nylon ribbon you used to use for coat-hangers… they lasted then… well until we grew out of them… B

6. diane says:

I love this! My friend’s mother makes these, but I couldn’t figure out how. I wonder how they would felt…that could be fun too.

7. Katherine says:

My elderly next-door neighbor used to make these in pink and purple for me all the time when I was a little girl…I loved them to pieces. It’s great to see an actual pattern for them–can’t wait to try it out!

8. Kate says:

I LOVE these! They are definately going on my new project list for Christmas gifts this year. Thank you!!

9. Kitten Muffin says:

These are lovely! I’m teaching myself to crochet and knit at the moment, so your tutorial for making the granny squares themselves and then this one to make something useful and beautiful with them has been fantastic for me. I’ve made a wee pair for my three year old and now I’m starting on a slightly larger pair for my five year old. They thouroughly approve also! Thank you!

10. Katie says:

Sweeeet! These are so simple and fun! Thank you!

11. Eileen says:

those are fab! definitely going to have to learn to crochet now :)

12. Fata Bislacca says:

Thank you for this beautiful idea and wonderful tutorial. Yesterday I have made my slippers with a lot of fun! Greath! Have a nice day, Cathy

13. Margie Curtis says:

Is the slippers done with a single thread? Also, I would like a printed copy of directions. Is it possible to get these without copying the whole thing?

Hi Margie,
    The pattern is made with a single strand of the Manos Del Uruguay. You can print the pattern more easily if you copy and paste it into a word document (and remove any photos or other things you don’t personally need).

15. Margie Curtis says:

HELP – I have made 3 “test” house shoes and can’t get them reduced to the proper size. I am using worsted medium (4) yarn and am down to an “E” crochet hook and it would fit a giant. Can anyone give me advice as to how to get them to where they would look and fit like a normal crocheted bedroom slipper. The width is the biggest problem and I simply can’t find a way to make anymore adustments. Thanks for any help

16. knutsel rein says:

What a great idea!
    Thanks for sharing!

17. Margie Curtis says:

I guess no one else has had a problem with sizing????

18. D. Conrad says:

Has anyone else successfully made a pair of theses that fit properly? I would think toes would start popping through the holes in granny squares. Maybe smaller needle and smaller holes??
    They are adorable and they would be a great gift slipped into one of those silk gift bag you guys sell………Wish more people who have made them would post their experiences and any tips or tricks or tweakings they came up with to make for good fit……..at least before I break down and give it a go. lol

19. D. Conrad says:

Another thing. Wool stretches quite a bit. Would it be better to make them a tad smaller taking that into consideration. Or perhaps acrylic. I am not sure but I dont think it stretches as much as wool.

20. krackle says:

Oh my gosh…you don’t know how excited I am to try this!!! :-)

21. Kristen says:

Hi Purl Bee!
    Your granny square slippers are so adorable, and appropriate for the holidays too =) I took the liberty of linking to your blog from my round-up post about 22 Free Holiday Crochet Patterns.

Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/22-free-holiday-crochet-patterns-round-up-part-1/

Kristen
    Editor
    FaveCrafts.com

22. purlbee says:

Hi everyone with sizing questions,

I’m sorry if you’re having problems getting the slippers to fit!

If you haven’t already, please take another look at the “How to Adjust the Size” section of the pattern. An additional clarification: unless you make pretty serious alterations to the pattern, the slippers will always be twice as long as they are wide. For some feet that may mean a fairly wide slipper.

Please also keep in mind that these are comfy house slippers and for most people don’t need to conform perfectly to the foot to be functional. My husband and I only take our Granny Square Slippers off when we go to bed. Maybe we have abnormally wide feet, but I don’t think so!

Good luck and please let us know how they turn out for you all!

Whitney

23. Kimberley Barrett says:

Hey Whitney,
    I love love love this pattern! I have only made three pairs so far but I plan to make many more. I have a blog entry on two pairs I made for my sister’s birthday today and a matching pair for her daughter. If you’re interested, it’s here: http://kimmosblobs.blogspot.com/2009/12/granny-square-slipper-love.html
    I think I prefer solid colours like yours rather than the yarn I’ve used for my sisters and nieces.
    Thanks so much for posting this pattern!
    Kim

24. deb says:

is there some thing you can put on bottom of slipper, as my group love making for senior and they find they are to slippery ( no pun intended)

25. Sundari says:

Thanks for the pattern – as you say, so simply and elegantly engineered. Here’s a picture of the first ones I’ve made:
    Very satisfying. Some notes from my experience:
    I was a bit surprised by the smallness of the needle you state in relation to the chunkiness of the wool. In the shop (i-knit in Waterloo, London) the lady suggested it was because slippers needed to be crocheted tightly. I did crochet tightly and found I needed four rounds to make the 4 and a quarter inches. But I think this is fine and will keep it as tight for the next pair (my son’s nearly 12-inch long feet). I was delighted to find that the colours I chose had the names Zambezi, Volta and Thames! Thames is the purple – hmm, the Thames is a deep and brooding river when anybody notices it, and certainly not violet!! The Volta (royal blue) skein had a really wide range in chunkiness (a beginner spinner?) which meant the squares got quite wonky. Anyway, I loved the project and I love the depth of colour in Manos del Uruguay.
    Oh yes, and in response Kimberly, I found a product called Regia ABS latex made in Germany for Coats. It comes in a 100ml bottle with a fine nozzle. I put on chevrons in line with the granny square corners. It was pale blue and on curing went dark blue and was hardly visible on the Volta I used for soles. It’s quite effective but I wish I’d practiced applying it a bit more beforehand.
    Thanks for getting me back into crochet – more slippers and blankets now.

26. Barbara Niederhoffer says:

Hi. I made these for my husband with a double strand of Noro Sock Yarn (self-striping) and he loves them!!! Thank you Purl for the pattern.

27. Gio says:

What a beautiful babuchas!!! I really like your design, so I’m going to try to make them soon, thanks

28. Fi says:

Thanks for this project, im starting on it now.
    Ive placed a link to your project on my blog http://things-things-things.blogspot.com. If you dont want this let me now, then I take it of.
    Kind regards
    Fien

29. EscRiBiTioNiSt® says:

So love this! I’m trying to make a pair now.. But I actually want to be able to wear them outside.. I’ve to see if I can find a way.. They’re too beautiful to only be used at home. :P

30. Cazza says:

These make me laugh! They are so bright and garish, but also so cute and funny. And they are fun and easy to make. Thank you so much for the pattern! I know what everyone is getting for their birthday this year! :-)

31. Conny says:

Thank you for the beautyfull Pattern.

32. Lisa says:

Yay, I’ve been looking for these for ages and I’ve just found them. THANK YOU!!!

33. Christiane says:

Absolutely fantastic! Can’t wait to make these. Thank you for sharing. x

34. Melanie says:

Just love these granny sqaure slippers thay are great i am looking forward to making some. but most of all i wanted to thank you for beautiful instructions with lovely clear pictures your site is really great. thank you so much for sharing with us all.

35. reina says:

thanks for such a great pattern and tutorial. i wanted to let you know i linked this pattern over on my blog.

36. anna says:

My grandma made those when I was a kid. I don't think there are any of those she made left, but I've been wanting to do those slippers for ages. Now that I know the sizing I'll finally make some :)

She made some with an additional square on each side of the ankle. Those were even warmer and fuzzier in cold nights.

37. Rachel says:

OMG! i LOVE these! now i know what EVERYONE is getting for christmas!! :)

38. Lindsay says:

I made a pair this weekend using Blue Sky cotton and LOVE them. Definitely making many more for gifts this year. :)

I made one change that I thought I'd share – I made the two sole squares double thick. For *each slipper* I made 4 sole squares, but stopped short of the last round of single crochet. Then I single crocheted two squares together to make a doubled square. Otherwise I assembled normally. Keeps feet a little farther from the cold floor! This tweak means each slipper = 8 granny squares.

Thank you so much for the great idea and clear directions!

39. im4cgirl says:

Hi
    i have attached all the squares except the last toe square but am having trouble attaching the last square. can someone direct me how to add the last toe square, i just cant figure it out.

thank you.

40. Anne says:

I have a friend who wants me to make some granny square slippers for her young daughter. Should I follow the same pattern and use a smaller hook size? What size hook would you recommend that I use?

41. Jamie says:

Oh, I am very excited to give these a try! I have some that are similar and was looking for a pattern. I happened along here and checked the crochet patterns. I'm so glad I did! Thank you for sharing!

42. TexasSugarbaby says:

So glad I found this slipper pattern at last. A similar pattern was passed by word of mouth from one family member to another. Ours were different as they were made with one large square and two smaller squares. We also crochet a drawstring so the slipper could be tied if it started to stretch out. We didn't call ours slippers, we called them moccasins. The tied drawstring helped give them the moccasin look. We made ours with Red Heart yarn and they held up very well.

Seeing yours I think I can once again make the old pattern. I would bet Red Heart yarn put out that pattern back then! The pattern was so simple that everyone in the family from the smallest to the largest would have a pair.

If your people are having problems with the shoe being too loose, maybe they should try the drawstring, you just slip it in and out and tie!

43. Miss Emmie says:

I just LOVE this pattern, and it is sooo creative and beautiful. However, I find it to be written alot more complicated and lengthy than it should be. I think a simple layout/ diagram and more succinct instructions would make this much easier to get through. Would you please consider making an actual pattern to print and fit 1-3 pages?

44. nancy c. says:

these slippers are great, i took some fabric paint and put zig-zag lines and circles on the bottom so they won't be slippery

45. Joline says:

I am having a HECK of a time trying to get these together! I have 5 of my six sqares together, but I can't figure out how to put the side on the toe? It just looks really bizarre and the picture isn't helping me. You know what WOULD help? A video! LOL. But, if you can walk me through this a little more with words that would be great as well. I have attach one sole to one side square, attach the toe to the next side of the side square, make single crochets along the next side of the Side Square, attach the other sole square to the other side of the side square (at this point it looks like a tetris piece), Continuing along this Sole Square, join one side of the other Side Square, Turn the corner of the Side Square and make single crochets along the next side. I am stuck at the next area: Attach the next side of the Side Square to the Toe Square. I cannot figure out how to make that work. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Also, have you at this point ended the yarn and started with a new bit of yarn? Thanks!

46. David says:

I really love this design. The instructions would be well improved if the photos were rotated to be oriented consistently throughout. I found myself turning my head a lot to keep track of what was happening in these photos.

47. Nu Moon says:

I've made five pairs of these slippers now, and everyone I've given a pair to has simply loved them! My partner never takes his off. It took a bit of tweaking to get the sizes right, and I've added a button to one pair to cinch the back closed — the wearer has quite narrow feet, but the look ended up being very cute. Thank you so much for the pattern!

48. Michelle says:

Hi! Thanks so much for this pattern. It's wonderful, & I've found most of the instructions super easy.

What I'm having problems with, though, is getting the toe piece & the side pieces to be on top as they should be. All I've figured out is how to attach five of six pieces so that they look like a Tetris piece, as someone else said. Is there a video to show how this is done, or some other way of showing how this is done? This is my first time doing such a piece, & I look forward to being able to finish it. Thanks again for sharing this with us. :-)

49. marleen says:

I saw questions about fitting the squares. Make a big square with the 2 sole squares and the 2 side squares. Like a chekker bord. Bend the sides a up a little, then you will see how to put in the toe. Then I fitted the heel last. To make it a bit smaller, I crochetted 2 rows along the 'foot entree'. Pardon my English.
    The slippers were a little 'slippery' to walk on for my girls. I cut a small piece of 'wash-leather' and fitted it on the sole. Works like a charm!

Girls love them! Started a pair for myself! So thanks for sharing the pattern

50. Loren says:

I've started my pair and added a crochet flower on to the front, but I would love to know if anyone has tried or seen this in a small size for babies?