Men’s Rustic Scarf from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts

It's been five years since Purl's owner, Joelle Hoverson, published her first book, Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. Since then it has become a modern classic in today's knitting world, joining with other books to bring the craft of knitting from the dark ages of garments that seemed to come from a parallel fashion universe to the present day of beautiful, elegant hand knits.

Every day customers come into Purl, dog-eared copy of Last-Minute Knitted Gifts under arm, wanting to replicate their favorite projects. Over the past five years, however, some of Joelle's original yarn recommendations are no longer available.  At Purl we always have to be ready to suggest new, equally exciting alternatives.

One common request is for the yarn to make the Men's Rustic Scarf, a ruggedly masculine scarf perfect for all the men in our lives. Rowan no longer makes the Yorkshire Tweed Chunky that first gave the scarf its distinctive flair, so we decided to update the pattern here with a new, beautiful Blue Sky Alpacas version.

For two of the colors we used Blue Sky's Worsted and for the third we used Blue Sky's Sportweight Alpaca doubled. Both yarns are incredibly soft, which in our experience is the number one concern when it comes to knitting for men (it's true!). The textural shift between the different yarns adds a subtle layer of interest to the scarf, and the drape of alpaca gives this version a gorgeous heft.

I don't necessarily want to say that this scarf is better than the original, but it's definitely a close call! --Whitney

The Materials

Version One

• 2 skeins (one each in two colors) of Blue Sky Alpaca's Worsted, 50% superfine alpaca, 50% merino wool. These colors are, from the left, Chocolate 2016 and Tan 2009.
  • 2 skeins of Blue Sky Alpaca's Sportweight Alpaca (Melange or Solid), 100% baby alpaca. This color is a Solid and is Scarlet 518. (Make sure to double this yarn so it is the same weight as the Worsted.

Version Two

• 2 skeins (one each in two colors) of Blue Sky Alpaca's Worsted, 50% superfine alpaca, 50% merino wool. These colors are, from the left, Olive 2014 and Butter 2005.
  • 2 skeins of Blue Sky Alpaca's Sportweight Alpaca (Melange or Solid), 100% baby alpaca. This color is a Melange and is Dijon 807. (Make sure to double this yarn so it is the same weight as the Worsted.

15 Responses to Men’s Rustic Scarf from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts

1. Jennifer says:

I just love the horizontal stripes of that scarf, very masculine.

2. I LOVE scarves like this. They knit up so quickly and look fancy and expensive!

3. Love the colors! Particularly "Dijon".

4. Lisa says:

I just wanted to thank you all for this blog. Last year we moved from the NE to FL. I love living here but do I miss my friends. Reading your blog and knitting/sewing your patterns helps me feel more connected to home.

Lisa

5. JetKnit says:

Love Blue Sky suggestion….have the book and made the scarf using Jade Sapphire cashmere. My husband just wore it this weekend!

6. Kathryn says:

I LOVE this book, I’ve not made the mens Knitted Scarf for precisely this reason, thanks so much for the tips…I’m still very "beginner" at knitting I can’t think of these things myself *smile*!

7. theaxx says:

These look warm soft and yummy!!!! I MUST learn to knit… MUST!

thea.
    xx

8. I just love the horizontal stripes, they look very classy and sophisticated

9. Rebecca says:

I love the horizontal garter stitch, too! I do believe there is some Noro Iro in my stash that is just crying out to be knit into a man’s rustic scarf! Yours are very pretty!

10. Beth says:

Is there a hat pattern that anyone has used to make a matching hat for the Men’s Rustic Scarf? Thanks.

11. asma says:

hi,

I wanted to know how you have managed to knit such a long scarf with limited needle ht..
    regards,
    asma

12. sophie says:

Do you have recommendations for people who are allergic to alpaca? I want to make this but it'll give me rash!

13. This is such a handsome scarf!!

Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

14. Petra Hämmerleinova says:

You can see my scarf on my blog http://haemmerleinova.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/horizontal-stripes-scarf/
    Petra

15. I knitted a horizonal-stripes scarf in a female version for my mum. I came out great. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Petra