Lovely Design’s Lovely Little Forest Quilt

We are big fans of the wonderfully creative products made by the super talented Sharilyn Wright of Lovely Design (you can find tons of great gifts on her site).  In fact, we've used her beautiful rolodexes in our shops for years. Recently, Joelle came across an incredibly sweet yet modern Christmas Tree Quilt on Sharilyn's Flickr page (while you're there, you may want to look around at her photostream a bit, it is filled with amazing, inspring ideas!).  We loved it so much and knew that you would, too! We asked Sharilyn if she would be willing to share her pattern with our Purl Bee readers and she generously agreed.  We think you'll agree that her quilt is charming, graphic, modern, and very, very lovely.

Since not everyone has a lot of time to make a quilt before the holidays (including us), we made a small version that went very quickly.  The beauty of Sharilyn's pattern is that you can make it as small or large as time allows! Joelle and I made this quilt together while sitting in front of a cozy fire.  We hope you'll find the time to enjoy making one of your own.   Thanks Sharilyn!!  --Page and Joelle

For our trees we used solids from our Christmas Tree Spectrum Bundle, as well as small amounts of printed fabric (each tree piece must be at least 4.5-inches x 5-inches pre-cutting, or 1/4-yard is plenty).

For our printed tree fabrics we used prints from the following collections:

For our tree trunks and binding we used printed fabrics in browns from the Cake Rock Beach Collection (for trunks you will need the piece to be at least 1 inch wide x as many inches long as the amount of trunks you want to make).

For the binding of our quilt we used Cake Rock Beach Earth Honeycomb.  If you make your quilt the same size as ours you will need approximately 3/4-yards of fabric.  If your quilt is going to be larger (or smaller!) than ours you can find our Binding Fabric Yardage Formula at this link (scroll down to the midde of post) for complete instructions on how to figure out how much binding fabric you need.  For this quilt, binding strips should be cut to 2 1/4-inch wide

For the hanging tabs we used the same fabric as the binding.  You will need two pieces that measure 4-inches wide x 7-inches long for hanging tabs.

We used Kona Cotton, Snow for the background of our quilt. You will need 1-yard of white background fabric to make a quilt the same size as ours.

You will also need 1 1/4-yards of fabric for the back of your quilt to make a quilt the same size as ours.

Finished Measurements

Approximately 27-inches long x 14 3/4-inches wide

Tools and Notions

Download and print the Forest Block pattern cutting instructions and sewing instructions here:

The Pattern

Assemble Forest Blocks:

• Follow directions from the Cutting and Sewing PDF's (find links to these files above) to make your Forest Blocks. We made 25 Forest Blocks for our quilt.
  • Once you have assembled all of your blocks, cut them down to 3.5-inches wide x 4-inches tall.

Cut plain rectangles of your background fabric to 3.5-inches wide x 4-inches to fill the spots between the trees.  We used 15 plain blocks for our quilt.

Lay out your quilt blocks in a pleasing arrangement.  We arranged ours like Sharilyn's, light greens at the top and dark greens at the bottom.

Sew blocks together with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Baste quilt, batting and backing fabric, find complete instructions at this link (following "Make a Quilt Sandwich if you scroll down).

Quilt your Little Forest Quilt however you'd like! We machine quilted ours in the ditch between the blocks.

Cut off excess batting and backing fabric.

Bind quilt, find complete instructions for a Double Fold Binding at this link.

Make hanging loops by folding the two long sides of each 4-inch x 7-inch rectangle to the center of the fabric, right side out, press folds. Fold the raw edges to the inside of the strip 1/2-inch on each end and press into place. Attach hanging loops by hand to the back edge of the binding at the top of the quilt.

Slip a long knitting needle or a rustic branch into the loops and hang on some small nails or tacks.

20 Responses to Lovely Design’s Lovely Little Forest Quilt

1. Brooke says:

So beautiful! And it involves three of my favorite people.. no wonder it’s gorgeous!

2. geek+nerd says:

This is amazingly cute! Thank you for sharing!

3. Ching says:

Help! I can not locate the link to download the PDF file for this cute project.

4. Jamie says:

What is the finished size of the quilt (and instructions)?

Hi Ching and Jamie,
    The downloads are above the detail photo of the quilt, after tools and notions.
    The finished size of the quilt is 27″ x 14 3/4″, will add that to the pattern now.

6. Cynthia says:

This is wonderful. A friend emailed it to me and now I just might have to make it for her as a housewarming gift. Lovely project. Do you think it would be a problem if I used a solid piece to make the trees (like a flying geese block) instead of cutting and piecing?

7. mara zeitspieler says:

Thank you for this wonderful idea! I only made a little patch of trees. You can see it on my blog: http://mara-zeitspieler.blogspot.com/
    Greetings from Germany:
    Mara Zeitspieler

8. Paloma says:

Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial!!

9. Teje says:

Hello! Thank you so much for this super idea – just what I needed to get started with a new quilt!!! I love this! I shall make a quilt 'Finnish forest'! I love patchwork and all crafts and usually I like simple shapes like your trees!
    Sunny wishes from Finnish woman living in Crete! Teje

10. Bertha Goggin says:

Beautiful quilt – I think it would be great for a grandson! However, i cannot get the “cutting” pdf page to open. The sewing page opened right up, and the measurments on the page are a little too small to make out. Could you e-mail the cutting page to me? I'm new at quilting and this one looks pretty easy! Thanks

11. Bertha says:

Well, wouldn't you know, right after my other post was sent, I printed the picture then tried the cutting page one more time and it opend!! Thank you so much for making a cute, and simple pattern available!

12. Stephanie in MI (AKA Mama Pea) says:

I just love this little quilt. A blogging friend of mine and I would like to jointly host a quilt along for people who'd like to make this quilt. We would post the link to your page for people to get the pattern and instructions and give them weekly assignments to keep them moving forward. We are thinking we'd have people post photos of their progress on a Flickr group, and that we'd offer prizes to people who finish on time. We are thinking of starting Sept 1 and doing it for 1 month. Then, people would have a Christmas decoration or a Christmas gift all ready to go.

I just wanted to make sure you are okay with this. Of course we will direct the traffic to your page for the instructions, etc. And we won't be charging anything or making any money on the quilt along. It's just for fun.

Thanks a lot! Read your awesome blog all the time!

HI Stephanie-

This sounds like a lovely idea and it's totally fine with us. It would be great if you could also link to the original design on the Lovely Design Website and credit Sharrilyn from Lovely Design as the designer. Here is that link: http://lovelydesign.blogspot.com/2009/12/little-forest-quilt.html. Can't wait to see the Flickr group!

Thanks!- Molly

14. Stephanie in MI (AKA Mama Pea) says:

Molly, Thank you so much for your response and for granting us this permission. We will be happy to link to the original post as well and to credit Sherrilyn from Lovely Designs as the designer. Thanks a lot! W'll let you know the Flickr group URL when we have it set up. (I didn't want to move forward until we got permission from you.)

Thanks for being so gracious to us!

Stephanie

15. Holly says:

I was so inspired by this quilt that I sat down to design my own variation of it more than a year ago. Having never made a quilte before, it took me more than a year to complete, but came out well:
    Thanks for the inspiration!

16. Michelle says:

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial- it inspired me to make this little quilt to keep my niece's dolls snug:

17. Colleen says:

So pretty! I just found this on Pinterest, and I'm planning to use my green scraps all year and makes blocks as I go.

Although I can't understand why you suggest 1 1/4 yards for backing? Half a yard should be more than enough! :)

18. Katie says:

Hello all at The Purl Bee. Thank you so so so much for sharing this pattern. I tried it out as the second quilt I ever made, but I up-scaled it and made a couple of adjustments so that it would fit a double bed, and I made 25 little trees to mark my parents' 25th anniversary and gave it to them as a silver wedding anniversary present. They absolutely love it and it's the best present I have ever made and given. You can have a peek at it here:

Keep up the great work!

Katie. X

19. Cindy says:

Love this wall hanging quilt. My granddaughter is learning about trees in her home school group. They had to do a project making their own forest. She decided to make a quilt. We used all scraps so some were not traditional tree colors. It came out beautiful. Wish I could post a pick of it. Everyone loved it.

Hi Cindy-

That sounds lovely! We'd love to see it. You could post it on our Facebook page!