Rose Barrettes

With Valentine's Day coming up I designed these little girl's barrettes in celebration of the rose. I liked the idea that they could add a little Valentine's spirit to any outfit, and also to be used long after the big day. --Molly

Cutting

Cut out all of the pieces from the Rose Barrette Pattern. You will have:

• one rosebud strip in color A
  • one 1st tier petal piece in color A
  • one 2nd tier petal piece in color A
  • one barrette top in color B
  • one barrette bottom (with a small slit cut as marked) in color B

Making the Rosebud

Roll the rosebud strip tightly, lining up the straight edge, starting from the smaller end to form a little rosebud shape as shown above.

Thread a length of embroidery thread that matches the color of the rose. Turn the rosebud upside down and sew across the bottom, through all of the layers, bisecting the circle of the bottom. Pull this stitch taut and take another stitch through the same area.

Turn the rosebud 90-degrees and take another stitch through all the layers perpendicular to the first set of stitches.

Pull this stitch tight and take another stitch in the same place. Tie a knot and cut the embroidery thread.

You will have a pretty little rosebud.

Adding the Petals

Place the finished rosebud in the center of the 1st tier petal piece.

Tack the 1st tier petal piece to the back of the rosebud with a few stitches.

Stitch the adjacent petals of the 1st tier petal piece to one another as shown above. As you stitch them together sew through the side of the rosebud piece and at the same time tacking the two pieces together.

Sew all the adjacent petals together in this manner.

Repeat this process for the 2nd tier petal piece.

The rose is now finished! These are beautiful on their own and could be attached to flower wire for a pretty bouquet or sewn to anything you please.

Preparing the Barrette

Slip the small part of the barrette into the slit of the barrett bottom piece as shown above.

Meanwhile, sew the rose onto the wide end of the barrette top piece.

Finishing the Barrette

Place the two barrette pieces wrong sides together and sew them to one another with a small running stitch around the perimeter of the barrette. When you come to a petal sew through a bit of the petal, not all the way through the width felt but just a little tack to keep the petal down.

Continue sewing around the perimeter as shown above.

Once you get all the way around tie a little knot and hide the threads tail in between the two layers.

Turn the barrette to the right side and trim the rose's petals to your liking.

Repeat this for all of the barrettes and have a happy Valentines Day!

52 Responses to Rose Barrettes

1. Heidi says:

So pretty!! I want to make pansies!! :O)

2. Elizabeth says:

These are gorgeous. I just love the Purl Bee! Thank you for sharing these beautiful craft projects with us readers.

3. becky says:

these are so simple and lovely. thanks.

4. Sandy says:

I’ve been looking for a flower clip templates online for the past week! So this is an insanely timely post! I just bought felt yesterday too! Although… I prob need to go buy some embroidery thread now too b/c I wasn’t planning on sewing in my clips. You make it seem soo easy but I’m sure when I try it, it won’t turn out as nice. I will let you know how it goes on my blog some day! =)

5. sarah j says:

Amazing. If I didn’t have guests coming I’d so be in the craft room hunting up supplies. Thanks, my two girls will be thrilled!
    ~ Sarah

6. Vanesa says:

Thanks you for sharing this. They are beautiful. I can wait to try it.

7. Ruth says:

Awesome Rose clips!
    I was wondering if it is ok, in regard to copyright, to make things like this for a school fete (fundraising)?

8. jennifer says:

these are adorable!

9. valerie kuan says:

Thanks for the pattern. Your little model is beautiful!

10. Cassidy says:

I love these! I made a few white roses last night and I am totally in love with them. Thanks for the patterns ♥

11. Kitty Gardens says:

These are beautiful, I made a few last night too, so pretty!

12. Jenn says:

Love these! I have been obsessed with making fabric/wool/felt flowers lately! No little girls though, I guess I’ll have to make them for myself!

13. Kelley says:

Smashing, dahliing!

14. Silvia says:

Wonderful touch!! But the red vest, dress??? the girl is wearing also looks marvelous, did you make it? Where can I find the “recipe”?

15. Autumn says:

Thank you for posting this tutorial! I love these little roses! So so cute.

16. Elie's Papel says:

She looks so cute and the best model you could get… thanks for the tip!!!

17. Sari says:

Thank you so much for this! I was looking for something simple but lovely for the girls to do at my daughter’s birthday party. This is perfect: not to difficult but still looks so pretty.

18. june says:

i’m 47 and i’m going to wear these:) sooo cute!

19. Vicki says:

You rock! love felt and love the hairpins! Thanks for sharing.

20. Andie says:

These are really cute. I just made one in cream & sage and it is really pretty! There were a few things I’d do differently with #2 (and so on) but that’s just my learning personal curve :)

Thank you so much for coming up with, and sharing these patterns-I really appreciate it!

21. ashley says:

Those are too adorable. I love how no Purlbee project uses a glue gun! Anyway, it would be fun to spend an afternoon making bevy of these to give away. Thanks!

22. crafty comadre says:

Those are so cute – thanks for sharing!

23. Denise says:

These little flower clips are ADORABLE. I would love to see a headband version….!!!!

24. Sally Reames says:

Fabulous! Will soooo be making these! Have been all about hairclips since I bobbed my hair!

25. Sheila says:

these are the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen to be put on a barrette. I had to make one the second I saw it.
    The instructions were easy and the results are even better that i thought. See picture here: http://partyaccessories.blogspot.com/2010/01/rose-y-valentines-hair-clips.html
    Thank you thank you.

26. red de rOuge says:

Ohhh, there are so nice!!!

27. Kitty says:

These are so cute! I’m going to make some for my nieces–and for me, too! This post came just in time–I’m chopping 14 inches off my hair on Wednesday, and I’ve been trying to find some cute barrettes.

The roses look so easy to make–I might make a whole bunch and attach them to a headband, or even cluster them on a felt handbag.

28. Fire Wife Katie says:

Adorable!! My daughter wants me to make these now. I’m so happy I stumbled upon this site. I have a fabric addiction (and can you believe there is not a single fabric store here in my city of 100,000?) I make paintings out of fabric, and love pretty much anything that has to do with cloth. :D

29. dana says:

darling. just darling.
    i’ve been felt clips for a while and I must try this one!
    Thank you for sharing with us!

30. ally says:

these are so pretty. i just made a few barrettes for my niece and can’t wait to give them to her. love them. thank you!

31. Sheri@childmade says:

What perfect little roses! And an excellent tutorial! Thanks for sharing. I’ve posted a link.

32. Brooke says:

I just did this lovely little project and it made me so happy! :) Thanks for sharing!

33. Flo says:

Ohh.. i like the little girls orange outfit. Its really cute!

34. sally says:

I am a big fan of the Purl Bee! I have made a half dozen of these darling barretts. They are easy and so pretty! Could you do something similar for St Patrick’s Day? My granddaughters are Irish and are going to the parade! I would love to do something in felt like these barretts! Thank you for all your wonderful projects.

35. LisbonSky says:

What a lovely tutorial! Fantastic clips!

36. Hannah says:

Thanks for posting this. I saw it over at the Twig and Thistle blog and made one for my daughter yesterday. It was so simple and beautiful. Thank you!

37. janimal says:

I made some roses and LOVE THEM! I’m going to wear a red one as a pin myself tomorrow. Thanks for the awesome tutorial and pattern. I transferred the pattern to freezer paper and ironed the pieces onto the felt to make them easier to cut out. (I think I picked up that tip from another tutorial here.) I would love to see more tutorials like this for other holidays.

38. Gayle says:

A the grand old age of 36, I took up sewing two weeks ago and am loving your site and today graduated from hand-stitched lavender bags to these barrettes – ostensibly for my four year old daughter but I may just have to borrow one or two occasionally! To a complete novice, the tutorial was invaluable. Thank you! You have made a new sewer a very happy sewer!

39. Lindsey says:

I am IN LOVE! And her dress is making me swoon! Did you make that as well? Beautiful work and lovely photos.

40. dansonscapucine says:

really wonderfull; i’ll try it soon. Thanks a lot.

41. laBaronneC says:

superbe ! j’adore ! merci pour ce chouette tuto !

42. marlene alves says:

beautiful!
    very easy to do!!!!!
    hugs

43. Amomymous says:

Thank you so much for the pattern, they are really easy to make and turn out really beautiful!

44. Glenyce says:

These are so beautiful. Thanks so much for this pattern. I have made some and love how they have turned out. Here is a link to see mine. http://midcraftcrisis.blogspot.com/2010/02/felt-flower-hair-clips.html

45. My First Kitchen says:

Absolutely precious. Thanks for such a thorough tutorial! I’m only mother to a son these days (pretty sure he’d be anti-flower), but if a daughter ever enters the picture, I’m all over this one. So adorable.

46. Elizabeth says:

I made one of these for my daughter and although she loves it, the barrette slips out easily because one half is covered in felt and doesn’t have much grip. It’s so much prettier covered in felt but can only really work as an ornament this way. If you want it to actually hold hair back, I suggest getting pretty colored snap clips and just sewing the rose on the end (or maybe glue the felt on the top only of the snap clip?). The rose template is great – thanks for posting this!

47. kendra says:

i just found this today, but did a remarkably similar tutorial (though not as clear or well photographed) last week (http://www.byhandathome.com/2010/02/sharing-love.html)! i love love love yours. these barrettes are absolutely beautiful!

48. Alisa: a pina colada says:

Love this and can’t wait to do it with my daughter! So fun! Thanks for sharing all of the details because heaven knows I’ll need them. :)

49. Scented Sweetpeas says:

Just wanted to say thank you so much for this craft project, I just made one for my little daughter and she loves it (and so do I). I added it to my blog with a link to here so everyone can see your fab Rose Barrettes :-) Thanks again.

50. sarah says:

You might want to check this out…

I think someone doesn’t understand “not to be used for resale.”