The Wonderful Wallaby!

One of my all time favorite patterns is The Wonderful Wallaby by Cottage Creations. While it's true that the Wallaby is cozy and classic and the construction is beautifully engineered, the thing that makes this pattern my favorite is the charm and accessibility of the writing and illustrations.

You will be cheered through your Wallaby by encouraging tidbits like, "TREAT YOURSELF Take time to try on your Wonderful Wallaby, it feels so GOOD! Your Wallaby won't mind if tried on with needles remaining in the yarn!" You will love the homey drawings of knitting kangaroos, like grandma kangaroo knitting her Wallaby from yarn stored in her pouch (I wish I had that!). The pattern is also clearly written, very explanatory and 100% mistake free.

The Wonderful Wallaby is sized for toddlers age two all the way up to adult super size. My son, Bear, is only 13 months old, but he's really tall, and I just couldn't wait another year to knit him his own Wallaby.  I love knowing that he'll get lots of wear out of it.

The Materials

It's great that Spud & Chloe's Sweater yarn is machine washable and really soft, but mostly I love that the blend of wool and organic cotton truly makes this sweater year round. To add a little fun, I knit a stripe of multi-colored Kersti every fifth round. (By the way, the Kersti is also machine washable.) Adding this stripe does complicate the pattern in some places (like the pocket), so I wouldn't recommend it if you are a beginner knitter, but otherwise I thought the challenge was totally worth it.

Another materials note: The pattern uses US #6 needles for the ribbed edges which really draws in the bottom hem and cuffs. I wanted Bear's Wallaby to be a little looser fitting and so just used my #8's for everything. Be sure to have a smaller 24 inch circular needle and double pointed's on hand if you want to be a faithful follower of the directions.

The Wonderful Wallaby is such a perfect sweater that I'm going to make sure Bear is never without one. I hope I like his college colors!  --Whitney

70 Responses to The Wonderful Wallaby!

Hi Becky,
    You can find the pattern at this link!

2. Rebecca says:

I'm following up on some of the other posts – how did you knit the stripes? Can you share a picture of the inside?

3. Rosemary says:

I love the wallaby and I have been looking for a crochet wallaby pattern, can this be converted to crochet? Are there any patterns out there for the crochet wallaby?

4. Cynthia C. says:

I notice the stripes do not extend into the garter stitch placket. It looks wonderful! How did you do that?

I have knit several of these sweaters, and I have always knit the stockinette hood. The garter stitch hood on yours looks wonderful!

Hi Cynthia,

I remember that stopping the stripes short of the garter stitch placket (and pocket edges) was a little bit complicated. I worked with two balls of the main color and knit just as you would an intarsia pattern. I recall some moments of having to do a little improvisational knitting, but it sounds like you might have enough experience to go for it!

Thanks so much for your comments and question!
    Whitney

6. Nicole D says:

Hi I was wondering about the stripes do you hold the yarn for the stripes double since it is such a smaller yarn then the Spud and Chole or is it ok just to knit it as normal on the size eight needles?
    Thanks so much

Hi Nicole D,

No, you don't need to double the Kersti. True, it is a bit thinner than the Spud & Chloe, but since you're only knitting one round, you really don't notice!

Thanks for your question!
    Whitney

8. Suzanne says:

This post inspired me to attempt the Wallaby, my first non-scarf project, and I've just finished it after many dedicated nights and YouTube videos. :) I couldn't be more pleased with how it turned out, and of course, my two-year-old couldn't look more adorable in it. Thank you!

9. Kari says:

Hello! I came across this pattern in May and have been working on it off and on for my cousin's son. I'm loving it so far!

However, I have one question on the arm placement. I'm making the smallest size, 2T, using Blue Sky Worsted Cotton (in Nut) and the stripes in Manos Maxima (in Beehive). My gauge is a little off, 8 st/in as opposed to 9, but I'm working with it. The pattern calls for the arms to be placed 8" from the start of the work, which is, in my case, right after the pouch was fused. I'm worried that this will make the body short, so am going to knit at least one more inch and see where it lands, but wanted to see what you suggest. Thank you!

Hi Kari,

Sounds beautiful! There's really little harm that can come from adding an inch or two to the body length, and I'd rather a bit long than a bit short. I say, unless you can easily measure your cousin's son, go with your gut on this one!

Thanks so much for asking!
    Whitney

11. Situ says:

I am on my eighth sweater now. I love making them. Although this is my first adult sweater. I have an request for another adult one as soon as I finish this one. My three grandchildren each have one or two. They are wonderful. As they grow out of their size, I pass it on to someone else's grandchildren. Guess I will be making them for a while.

12. Sarah says:

Has anyone knitted this sweater with a zipper? If so, I would really appreciate a link with directions to do so! I have never knit a sweater with a zipper, but the boyfriend has requested it and I am excited to try.

13. Sarah says:

I love the Wallaby, and the pattern. I knit a size 2 for my son, and am now working on the next size up for the fall. I have stalled out, though, b/c last time, I ended up with some quite large 'holes' under the arms where I picked up stitches. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Or if there is a tutorial out there for this I would love to know. I don't have the pattern in front of me, so can't remember exactly what it is called, but I know I didn't love how it looked under the arms, and couldn't figure out how to darn/ fix after the fact. Any info you have is greatly appreciated.

Hi Sarah,

That is a classic problem! You're talking about grafting the underarm stitches together with the Kitchener Stitch and having two holes left on either side. I always make sure to leave long tails when I cut and join the yarn at the underarms and then use those tails to sew the holes closed (I sew in a sort of circular pattern around the hole and it closes up nicely, but this took a lot of experimenting to figure out!).

Something that occurs to me (that I've never done) is that, when you're knitting the sleeves onto the body, you could pick up stitches on either side of the underarm stitches to help fill in those gaps. It would disrupt your stitch count, of course, but that shouldn't be a big problem.

I hope all this helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions and thanks for this great one!

Whitney

15. Sarah says:

Thank you for the advice Whitney. Yes, it is holes left from the grafting! I now feel brave enough to hook the sleeves on and finish off the project. I will let you know how it goes.

16. Brooke says:

Actually I was wondering if the Blue Sky Worsted Cotton would work? I wanted to make this for my neice and I'm not sure how many skiens I would need in the Blue sky to make this – she is 2

HI Brooke,

Blue Sky's Worsted Cotton would be a great choice for the Wallaby! At 4 1/2 stitches to the inch it will be a bit dense, but cozy.

You will need 720 yards for size 2, which for the Worsted Cotton means 5 skeins.

Thanks so much for asking! I hope you enjoy knitting your Wallaby; it's so fun!

Whitney

18. mg says:

How many grams were your skiens?

Hi Meg-

The Spud and Chloe "Sweater" yarn is 100 grams and the "Kersti" is 50 grams. But we recommend using the yardage and gauge as a guide if you are planning on substituting materials. All of the info for the yarn can be found by clicking on the links in the materials section.

20. Helen Bell says:

I have made 14 Wallabys – I just love them! There is a new booklet from Cottage creations for a wallaby cardigan – it’s called Kyler”s Kardigan