Big Red Bobbi Bear

If you're a faithful reader of The Purl Bee, you may remember that a few weeks ago we mentioned that we're having a baby boom at Purl Soho.  I'm very excited to say that I happen to be one of the very happy Purl Soho-Mother's-To-Be! When I started thinking about knitting for my baby, I didn't have to think very hard about what my first project for my little one would be. I have always loved the Bobbi Bear (and the Baby Bobbi Bear) pattern from Blue Sky Alpacas because it's so big (almost 2 feet tall!) which makes it great to cuddle with, plus the pattern is very well written, very quick and it doesn't involve a lot of sewing up.  I've made my share of Bobbi Bears for friend's babies over the years with Blue Sky's Bulky and their Cotton as well.  I recently made Whitney's Bulky Baby Blanket for a friend's baby with Spud & Chloe Outer and I loved how soft it is (plus it's machine washable!) so I decided to use it for my Bobbi Bear.  I chose Sequoia, a red color, because it's not gender specific and because it has a vintage quality that I love.

If you'd like to make your own Bobbi Bear in Spud & Chloe Outer here is what you'll need:

Please keep in mind that Blue Sky's Bobbi Bear pattern is written specifically for Blue Sky Alpacas Bulky which is thicker than the Spud & Chloe Outer, so the pattern recommends US size 17, 24-inch circular needles, plus US size 17 double points (the pattern gauge is 7 stitches to 4 inches).  Since the Spud & Chloe Outer is a thinner yarn, I used US size 13 needles and my gauge was 8 stitches to 4 inches, but in every other way I followed the pattern to the letter.

Enjoy! --Jen

22 Responses to Big Red Bobbi Bear

1. anna maria says:

Congratulations!!! I am so excited for you & I can’t wait to see all your creations during this exciting time-but mostly the baby that you are creating!
    lots of love, Anna

2. kendra says:

congratulations, mama! what a lucky babe! what’s your next project? have you already knitted a lot of booties? i love the last minute knitted gifts angora booties! heaven! oh! it’s nice to have matching mitts for little sharp nails too!

3. Monika says:

Wow that is big. Lovely too.

4. anna maria says:

lots of love, Anna

5. Ed says:

Congratulations on motherhood, Jen! I think everyone should have a Bobbi Bear to tote around…they look so squishably comforting.
    Do you know how big the Baby Bobbi bears are? I’d like to make a smaller one for my friend’s newborn, with the bigger one for when he gets older.

6. tante sophie says:

jen and ray … congrats on the wee one on the way … kisses … ina and gumby!!!

7. meg says:

oh my gosh – i dont like knitting toys – but this one is SO amazing! I will deifnately be making 2 – one for each kiddo!

8. I love that! I have never tried knitting a toy but I think I just might try this one:)
    I’m having my first giveaway is you’d like to check it out too:) Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend!

9. Kelly says:

I would also love to make a BABY bobbi bear out off the spud and chloe outer… since the yarn is thinner than the Blue Sky bulky, can you tell me how many skeins you would recommend and what size needle?

10. Debbie says:

Happy baby time to you! I love this big version of the bear. I’ve always wanted to make this, and now, maybe I just will! Thanks!

11. Catherine says:

Cute bear. Lovely project.

Catherine at http://www.fraisedesbois-edelweiss.blogspot.com

12. jen says:

thank you everyone for your congratulations!

and to kelly – i would actually recommend using the Spud + Chloe Sweater yarn for the Baby Bobbi Bear, it is a better match for gauge and you wouldn’t have to refigure the pattern :)

jen

13. Jessica says:

Congrats!! Happy Knitting for your little one!!

14. roxanne says:

Congrats all over! A bit off topic, but this little one that has been modeling; I swear she looks like I did as a child, with the blonde hair and dark eyebrows. She’s too sweet! Can’t wait to make a bear for my hopechest!

15. Abbey says:

Congratulations!!!!! Babies are the best! I love love love this bear.

16. Kathy says:

Can someone tell me how to clean the bear? The mother of my intended recipient baby asked about putting it in the washing machine. I grimaced, butam hoping someoe has different answer.

TY

17. FAK says:

Which stuffing do you recommend for the Bobbi Bear? Thank you.

18. jen says:

Hi FAK,

I used the Sweet Dreams Cotton stuffing for the bear I made for my daughter and while i love it, if I could re-do the project, I would use the PolyFill as it is lighter in weight. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much you would need. I think that probably you would need about a bag and a half of the 12 ounce but I can't be sure.

Jen

19. Bonnie says:

is it 4 skeins for the big bear or 6? The pattern calls for 6.

20. Jen says:

Hi Bonnie,

This Bobbi Bear is knit out of different yarn than the pattern calls for. I used Sweater from Spud and Chloe while the pattern calls for Blue Sky Bulky.

Thanks,
    Jen

21. Carol says:

I clicked on the link for the pattern and it says it's no longer available.

22. jen says:

Hi Carol,

That pattern is now available as a download from the Blue Sky website!

Thanks,