Anzula ‘Squishy’ Log Cabin Baby Blanket

This July my sister, Jen, is having a baby girl! It goes without saying that I will be making this baby girl lots of handmade gifts, this Log Cabin Baby Blanket in Anzula's Squishy is the first.  I don't know what element of making this blanket was my favorite part; was it working with the gorgeous, super soft (and washable!) yarn, or was it watching the lovely hand-dyed colors come together, or perhaps it was the super easy construction of the whimsical log cabin shapes?  In any case, I enjoyed making this blanket immensely, and I hope my brand new niece enjoys it just as much!

If you'd like to make your own Anzula Squishy Log Cabin Baby Blanket here are details:

Finished Measurements

• Approximately 32-inches wide x 38-inches long

• 26 stitches and 26 ridges = 4-inches in Garter Stitch

• Anzula Squishy, (80% Superwash Merino, 10% Cashmere, 10% Nylon; 385 yards) 5 or 6 skeins, one each in a range of light to dark colors. I used: Candied Apple, Terra Cotta, Ducky, Maple, Bubblegum and Raspberry (I have enough of the Ducky and Bubblegum left to make a newborn baby sweater, hopefully coming soon to The Purl Bee, plus little bits of the other colors that will be enough for a few stripes or something, so 5 skeins is plenty unless you want more color).
  • US size 3, 32-inch Circular Needle

The Pattern

For me, the beauty of this pattern is that no pattern is needed!  You just cast on however many stitches you want and knit until you're tired of working with that color, then change to the next! For a photo tutorial on how to do the Log Cabin technique please refer to Whitney's Log Cabin Washcloths which you can find at this link.

But just in case you want to make yours exactly like the one pictured above, here is what I did:

In Candied Apple, cast on 52 stitches.  Knit on both sides until work is 5-inches long.  Cast off all but the last stitch. Cut yarn.  Turn work clockwise 90 degrees and switch remaining stitch to the left needle.

With Raspberry knit through the remaining stitch, pick up and knit one stitch through each ridge.  Knit on both sides until work is 3-inches long. Cast off all but the last stitch. Cut yarn.  Turn work clockwise 90 degrees and switch remaining stitch to the left needle.

With Terra Cotta knit through remaining stitch, pick up and knit one stitch through each ridge and then each stitch until you get to the corner.  Knit on both sides until work is 2.25-inches long. Cast off all but the last stitch. Cut yarn.  Turn work clockwise 90 degrees and switch remaining stitch to the left needle.

*With next color (see below) knit through remaining stitch, pick up and knit one stitch through each ridge, then each stitch, and then each ridge until you get to the corner.  Knit on both sides until work is the length specified below.  Cast off all but the last stitch. Cut yarn.  Turn work clockwise 90 degrees and switch remaining stitch to the left needle.

• Maple: 2.5-inches; Repeat from *.
  • Ducky: 2.5-inches; Repeat from *.
  • Terra Cotta: 2.25-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Raspberry: 4-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Ducky: 3.25-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Raspberry: 1.25-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Candied Apple: 3-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Bubblegum: 2.75-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Terra Cotta: 4-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Maple: 3-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Bubblegum: 2.5-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Ducky 3-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Raspberry: 4-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Candied Apple: 3.75-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Maple: 4-inches. Repeat from *.
  • Terra Cotta: 1.75-inches.  On this last color bind off all stitches.

Sew in ends and enjoy! --Joelle

19 Responses to Anzula ‘Squishy’ Log Cabin Baby Blanket

1. tante sophie says:

… gee’s bend brights … beautiful … am sure you are counting the days ’til she comes to the world of purl … lovingly … ina and gumby … now i know which muffin hat color to coordinate ;) for the princess …

2. Jo Jensen says:

this is adorable. i am waiting to hear what my great grandchild will be, boy or girl. but then I can knit several blankets…i like the idea of not being regimented to one has to do it this way. i had plenty of that when a ballerina with ABT many yrs ago.

3. Penny says:

This is so lovely! It reminds me of gee’s bend, too. Knitting and making for nieces and nephews is The Best. Really, just having nieces and nephews is the best. Congratulations to you, and your sister! The blanket is beautiful.

4. Poison_kitty says:

Wow this is pretty! Why do babies get all the bright and colourful stuff!

5. jen says:

of course your niece will love this blanket!! i can’t wait for you to send it to us so i can put it in her room :)

6. Margot says:

This comfy cozy blanket should make your niece feel warm and safe. :)

7. Erica K says:

I love that it looks like patchwork, only with an awesome (expensive-looking) fabric! Great job. That little girl is soooo lucky!

8. Lesley says:

Crazy cute!!! Love it!!!

9. Jen says:

Adorable :) I’m inspired to make my own.

10. Maryam Nasim says:

Cute and amazing ideas . Thanks for Sharing.

11. Marcela says:

Hi Joelle, Congrats on your new niece! I love this blanket! I’m expecting twins in August and currently making the Super Easy Baby Blanket in the Atlantic Air colorway for the boy. I’d like to make this Log Cabin blanket for the girl, but would rather use the same yarn – Alchemy Temple. Do you have any tips on how many skeins I should get and how to tailor the pattern? Thank you!!

12. Resa says:

Wondering if this can be done in any fiber? I prefer using fibers that can be machine washed and dried. Would an acrylic wool blend work? What are your thoughts on that? Thanks.

13. Ziti says:

Thanks so much! I love this blanket! I just finished knitting one for my daughter's baby due in June. I used a different worsted weight yarn. It's gorgeous and was great fun to knit. The skeins each contained 210 yards and the pattern took 1 skein for each color. Wasn't sure how much to buy because the Anzula has almost twice that much yarn. Thought I'd pass on this info to anyone considering using different yarn.

14. Marcela says:

Hi! Would you please consider posting suggestions of other, less expensive yarns for this blanket? It is so beautiful and I'd love to make this instead of the Super Easy Baby Blanket, which I've already made 2 of, but would still like to use Alchemy Temple. Thank you!!!!

Hi Marcia-

We are always happy to suggest less expensive yarns for any project. Thanks for asking!

The great thing about this pattern is that it is adaptable to ANY yarn in any gauge. So you could certainly use the Alchemy Temple. Some other less expensive options include:

Blue Sky worsted cotton- it comes in great colors, and is washable: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/721-Blue-Sky-Worsted-Cotton

Cascade 220 Superwash- Also washable and in a wide array of colors: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/8066-Cascade-Yarns-Cascade-220-Superwash-Sport

Spud and Chloe Sweater- a great wool and cotton blend, also washable: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/5886-Spud-Chloe-Sweater

Please let us know if you have any more questions and thanks for writing in!

16. Michelle says:

I love this! I am crazy about Gees bend quilts and the ladies who quilted them! I'm thinking about how I could do this in a throw. It doesn't scream baby to me and I think it would be so unique. Anyone tried making it into a throw?

17. Jade says:

Hello, I have just embarked on this lovely blanket as a gift for a friends baby shower. I'm a new knitter and just wondering if someone could advise on expected time to knit this pattern. Many thanks jade

Hi Jade. Oh I wish I could tell you how long it will take, but everyone knits so differently! It is such a fun project though. I find that when I am working towards finishing one color in order to switch to another, I knit faster. Perhaps this will be the same case for you. -Laura

19. Vero says:

My little sister (also called Joelle) is having her baby in 2-3 weeks and, while I won't manage to make the blanket in time for the birth, I'd love to make one that will match the Canadian autumn landscapes, which is when I'll see her next.

Thank you and Purl for all the wonderful inspiring and colourful ideas :)