Purl Soho’s Liberty Baby Bib Kits!

Joelle was in California recently, visiting her adorable new niece Bobbie Rae. She noticed that Bobbie was using a lot of bibs, and that the most effective were super absorbent. When she came back to New York she had the idea that we should design a bib that was both beautiful and totally useful.

As you might have noticed by now, when we want to make something truly special and beautiful, we often turn to Liberty of London's Tana Lawn. The lovely detailed prints of Tana Lawn are legendary! Its silky hand is soft enough for a very precious baby gift, but still strong enough to stand up to repeated washings.

To add absorbency we decided to back the bibs with Michael Miller's 100% Organic Cotton Terry, which is another perennial favorite at Purl Soho. We just love the combination of these two fabrics so we decided to pick out multiple colorways and our Liberty Bib Bib Kits were born. We hope you'll agree that they'll make perfect baby shower gifts!

Each Liberty Baby Bib Kit makes 4 bibs (2 of each print).  The kit includes 2 fat-eights of Liberty of London's Tana Lawn in complementary colors, 1/2 yard of Michael Miller's 100% Organic Cotton Terry, Gutermann 100% cotton sewing thread, 4 large nickel plated snaps, complete directions and a pattern template.

These bibs are a breeze to sew, you could easily make a whole set in one afternoon. You can find our Liberty Baby Bib Kits right here, or create your own by following along with the pattern below.

The Materials

You will also need:

If you'd like to make your own version of our Liberty Baby Bibs you can find the pattern template right here.

Marking

Assemble and cut out the Liberty Bib Template.

Cut each of the Liberty of London Tana Lawn pieces in half so you have two 9-inch by 13 1/4-inch pieces from each pattern. Press these pieces.

Trace the bib template on the wrong side of each of these pieces. It can sometimes be hard to tell which is the wrong side of the Tana Lawn because of it's ultra saturated printing so be careful in this step.

Make sure to transfer the markings on the upper left hand corner of the template to the fabric. These are the gap markings.

Sewing and Cutting

Pin the Tana lawn to the Terry Cloth right sides together around the perimeter of the markings. (The right side of the Terry Cloth is the fuzzy side.)

Then cut the Terry cloth to be a little bigger than the Tana Lawn piece.

Starting at the bottom gap marking sew the Terry and the Lawn together along the marked line. Stop sewing at top gap marking making sure to leave the 1-inch gap in-between the markings unsewn.

Here is a close-up of the unsewn gap.

Cut the bib shape out roughly  3/8-of an inch from the outside of the sewn edges.

Snip off the corers at the right angles by the neck and snip vertically into the seam allowance in a few places along the neck  and bottom curves to make turning the bin easier.

Finishing

Turn the bib right sides out through the gap.

Press the raw edges of the gap inside and press the whole bib flat with the Tana Lawn pulled just over the bottom and side edge and the Terry Cloth pulled just over the neck edge so it's peaking out a bit at the top. Pin the entire perimeter of the bib in this manner.

Here is a more close up shot of the edges with the Tana Lawn rolled slightly over the bottom edge and the Terry Cloth rolled slightly over the neck edge.

Top stitch along the entire perimeter of the bib with a scant 1/4-inch seam allowance. This will close the gap.

Hand sew the snaps onto the back of the neck as directed on the snap package. Center the snap at each neck flap, a 1/4-inch from the end of the flap.

Repeat these steps for the other three pieces of Tana Lawn and you'll be all done!

50 Responses to Purl Soho’s Liberty Baby Bib Kits!

1. jill t says:

yeah, i wish i could be progressive and not think that those are too feminine, but i really wouldn't choose any of those options for my son. would love green patrick's and takako in navy/orange. i know they don't make as nice of a color story, but they would both be boy enough (for me, at least).

2. jessb says:

This are super easy to make! I just whipped up a bunch in an afternoon- I cut them all out at once, pinned them together, sewed, pressed- just gotta sew on the snaps tonight. Perfect baby shower gifts! Love em! Thank you for this pattern-

3. Mary Beth at ✄ Fabric U ✄ says:

4. Jane says:

Ooh! The perfect combination of form and function, beauty and durability. I them!

5. tante sophie says:

… baby boys don't drool and spit up huh … there are so many adorable "boy" prints in liberty … ya'll should think of the boys too!!! … hi paw says gumby!!!

6. Annette says:

Oh what fun! Two of my closest friends just recently had babies and this will be just perfect.

7. Kekumukula says:

What an awesome idea and gift it would make.

8. I love Liberty of London prints…this would be a great way to use up scraps of this expensive fabric…and you'd never throw away these bibs. Is that terry cloth on the flip side? Great idea.

9. elaine says:

I was coming here to request boy bib prints, but tante sophie beat me to it! Although the blue colorway one can be sort of boyish. My baby boy wears pink diapers leftover from his sister, so why not add some flowery bibs! :)

Hi Elaine and Ina,
    When we made the kits we specifically picked the blue and red bibs for boys. Clearly neither of you consider them to be boyish enough though, which we are surprised to hear.

We'd love to hear back from you and anyone else interested in commenting about what makes something suitable for baby boys (or not) so we make sure to think about it for future projects.

thanks for your thoughts!
    Purl Bee

11. love these colorful bibs!

12. Josie says:

In my previous carreer designing kids clothing doing the boy's collections was always a challenge. We could generally use blue, green, brown ,black and orange for boys. Red was very iffy. No dots, definatly no flowers, unless they were Hawaiian. Stripes were fine as were checks ,ginghams and plaids. Prints were usually limited to sports themes , trucks & cars , dogs (not cats), monsters, reptiles and bugs.

13. tante sophie says:

purliebees … there are a bunch of cute prints for boys … not that i don't like flower prints for boys … but with plenty boy prints to pick from here is the list …

teal rust josephine
    grey chris
    purple chris
    winter thistle
    green patrick's
    takako navy orange
    blue bicycles
    pink bicycles (girlie)
    red bicycles

… happy days … happy sewing … happy everything … lovingly … ina and gumby!

14. tante sophie says:

purliebees … i betcha if ya' mixed up the mod' with the expected and made it two different girlie prints and two different boy prints per pack people of all preferences would buy them like hot cakes 'cause you could gift them mix and match … hi paw … says gumby!!!

15. Kimu says:

I wish you had some gender neutral combos! Not all of us are into blue for boys & pinks for girls.

16. heather says:

These are adorable, and so durable!

17. jill says:

Hi Purl Bee!

Since you asked for comments on the kits from parents of young boys, I love the blue for my son Connor (3 months old) and the red as well, especially the one that looks like fans. Neutral combos would be nice as well, as Kimu suggested above.

Jill

18. OH MY! These are cute! Wish my bigs were still littles!!!

19. Linda-1st time grandma to be says:

I can't wait to make these – being a first time grandma I am on the lookout for anything "baby" – oh baby – I will be making these tommorrow. I love all the colors you used – babies are so sweet, they can were any color.

20. Jo says:

I've always thought that patterned and multicoloured material is perfect for baby bibs as the inevitable stains won't be so obvious. Great choice of fabrics!

21. Barbara says:

Completely adorable … thank you for inspiring us all …

22. Janimal says:

I made a gazillion bibs when I was pregnant. How lovely that you have these kits to make it easier for everyone to do! I make bibs for friends now, and for boys I make sure the fabric is VERY boyish. I can imagine a print you have, I think by Kokka, that is all little cars…..
    LOVE the Liberty used as a bib. I just cut some Liberty that I bought from you guys last weekend, and am determined to make sure I use every last little cut of it. Oh what pretty bibs I could make! Thanks for the inspiration.

23. Penny says:

I love the bibs and would love the blue ones to make for our first Great-grandchild, however it is not available? Will it be again?

Hi Penny,
    Yes it will be, hopefully even this afternoon, please stay tuned! You can also email us at the following link and we'll let you know as soon as we have more kits ready.
    thanks so much!

25. Janice M. Biscoe says:

How sweet! I have another idea to enlarge the bibs. These are precious but I can also see them being used for adults in certain situations. Could there, would there, would you be able to adapt the pattern for adults? The fabrics are wonderful and I would be first in line to purchase. Thank you!

26. Angela says:

I was lucky enough to see Miss Bobbie Rae herself while shopping at the CA Purl warehouse yesterday, and she is sooooo adorable!

27. I am in love…I think it's the perfect first project to make for my little bun in the oven!

28. jen says:

aww… thanks angela!

jen

29. a little crafty nest says:

xo Jules

30. Oh my! This looks soooo good! Just yesterday I came across a similar idea to prevent the drooling of a little babe and now this! Perfect for my three month old! I love your fabric selections, too! Great idea…I'll have to do this! Thanks!
    xo Jules

31. Olelé says:

I adore Liberty fabrics! But never thought they could be used for this kind of projects, haha!

32. Olel says:

33. amber says:

wow, this is such a great idea. I am inspired to complete my first sewing project!

34. Angel says:

This ais great, I just made a bib

35. Jessie says:

I haven't done any sewing in a very long time and wanted to 'break myself in' with these bibs. Is there a specific type of hand stitch you recommend or is a standard sewing machine stitch preferable?

HI Jessie-

We strongly recommend using your sewing machine's standard straight stitch for this project since it has to be so durable.

Thanks for writing in and let us know if you have any more questions!

37. Phyllis Schultz says:

I would use velcro tape for clo
    sure.I will make a lot for me first grandson. Thank you.Phyllis

38. Jennifer says:

This bib was so fast and easy! Love it. I would make the gap a little larger next time,though. I would NOT use Velcro instead of the snap, as I think a baby's hair would get caught in the Velcro! Thanks for the wonderful pattern. I've made the winter bonnet, and have the pattern for the sun bonnet. So cute and unique!

39. Rob O'Neill says:

I really can't help to be in love with your baby bibs and I am very much amazed how you make this lovely bibs. This would be one of the most precious gift that somebody could give for the little ones. The pattern in the making was very easy to follow. Great!

40. Rob O'Neill says:

41. Rebecca says:

A question… The lady at the fabric store suggested that the terry cloth would “shrink considerably” and suggested zig-zagging & washing beforehand so it wouldn't pucker. Is that something that you did as well?

42. Rebecca says:

A question… The lady at the fabric store suggested that the terry cloth would "shrink considerably" and suggested zig-zagging & washing beforehand so it wouldn't pucker. Is that something that you did as well?

Hi Rebecca-

We do recommend pre-washing all the fabrics before you sew with them. We didn't zig zag the terry cloth before we washed it but it couldn't hurt if you'd like to be extra safe and reduce any fraying.

44. Jen says:

Wow, caught myself in a big pregnancy-brain crafting error today. I mistakenly cut all my bibs out of the tana lawn before sewing… so if I sew them now, I'll lose a 3/8" off the template size.

I'm having my first child and have no experience with babies… anyone out there know whether losing that 3/8" will make my bibs so small as to be unusable? I used some of my favorite prints – of course – isn't that always how it goes when you have a cutting error? I'd hate to have to toss all the fabric I cut into the scrap bin and start again. :( Any advice/fixes would be so very appreciated.

Hi Jen-

So sorry to hear this happened but I think you'll be fine! You could even try sewing them with a 1/4-inch seam allowance to loose less area. If you have any baby clothes yet you could always compare the size against a onesie or something.

Good luck and congratulations on the baby!

46. I just adore the bibs, the designs are really cute.

47. Mary Ann Fraverd says:

I want to order a bib kit but do not see the directions to do so. I would also like to order the free pattern for the bandana bib.