Pixie Dust Lap Blanket

This is a where-did-you-get-this?! kind of blanket. Big, loopy stitches; hand dyed, extraordinary color; and smatterings of sparkly "pixie dust" all conspire to make this no ordinary blanket.

The yarn comes from the incredibly creative yarn company, Knit Collage. We used their super funky Handspun Yarn to knit up the Fun Kid's Hat last spring, and now we're turning our attention to their more subdued (relatively speaking!) Pixie Dust yarn. A blend of wool and mohair, Pixie Dust is a handspun, ultra bulky yarn that really sparks the imagination. I'm transported right into the land of fairy tales. With this color (Lemon Meringue), I can't help but think of Rapunzel and "Let down your golden hair!".

You won't be the only one who thinks your new blanket is awfully cuddily. While I was making the Pixie Dust Lap Blanket, my cat Butterfly stalked my every move, waiting for the moment I would set down my needles so she could finally claim her rightful place deep inside the blanket's soft stitches. Now that the finished blanket is at Page's house her cat, Sylvy, has taken up right where Butterfly left off!

I can't think of an easier way to makeover a room than to whip up this show stopper. Provided you can wrest it from your cat, it may even keep you toasty warm all winter!

The Materials

• 7 skeins of Knit Collage's Pixie Dust, a blend of Wool, Mohair and Pixie Sparkles. This color is "Lemon Meringue".
  • A US #36, 32 or 40 inch circular needle.

Other Ideas!

We also knit up the Pixie Dust Lap Blanket in a cool white "Snowflake" version. It's equally gorgeous!

Or try doubling up Knit Collage's Sister. Same size needles, same pattern, same textural adventure, a Sister Lap Blanket is a beautifully affordable 100% wool alternative. You'll only need five skeins (you could even get away with four if you don't mind losing a few inches!). Here's a swatch:

The Pattern

1 stitch = approximately 1 inch in 1 x 1 rib

Finished Size

Approximately 26 inches wide by 56 inches long

Begin

Cast on 27 stitches.

Row 1: *K1, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.

Row 2: *P1, k1, repeat from * to last stitch, p1.

Repeat Rows 1 and 2  until you have used all 7 skeins minus about 4 yards (or until piece measures 56 inches).

Bind off in pattern and weave in the ends. (Little Tip: Rather than wresting this yarn through the eye of a tapestry needle, just use your hands to weave in the ends. It's easy - you'll see!)

81 Responses to Pixie Dust Lap Blanket

1. emily says:

Jen-

I am making this blanket now, and wanted to do the same thing– that is, for it to be closer to square than narrow….and bigger. With that, I've tripled the pattern. I am also using the Cascade Magnum, paired with the Cascade Baby Alpaca, about 6 or 7 skeins of each. I'm 2 skeins in and it's amazing. The fibers I'm using don't have the uneven texture in the same way as the Pixie, but they are producing what will be a thick and cozy blanket.

Loving this blanket, glad to have come across the pattern and fibers!

Emily

2. Jamey says:

I would love to make this in a baby blanket size. Andy advise on changes to the pattern and how many skeins to use?

Hi Jamey-

This is a long, thin throw blanket. To make it a more baby friendly size I would cast on the same number of stitches but just knit it half as long. I would get 4 skeins.

Thanks for your question!

4. Ebony says:

I am going to make tis blanket using Colinette Point 5 yarn. Would you recommend the same size needles? I was not planning on doubling the yarn. The yarn suggests 12mm needles but I don't think that would give the same effect as your blanket.

5. Jessie says:

Hi, I am making this in the Pixie Dust Pink color. I ordered the yarn and needle through you, and I am so happy with it! I am starting right now. This is going to be a wedding present. Thank you Purl for winding all this yarn into balls for me.

Hi Ebony,

If you want a very loose knit like our version of the blanket, then you should probably use bigger needles than your yarn suggests, either a US #19 or #36. You may need to experiment a little to see what you like!

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any more questions and thanks for this one!

Whitney

7. Lindsey says:

You said you can use knit collage sister as well at only 5 skeins? Do you have to double the yarn up?

Hi Lindsey,

Yes, you do double the Sister!

Thanks for asking and please let us know if you have any other questions!

Whitney

9. Doris says:

Hi, I absolutely love this pattern, and can't wait to start it in the Sister yarn. I was wondering what colour the swatch you've shown is called. The closest I can find on the link you've provided is Camel Heather. Is that the one, or is the cream-coloured one not being sold anymore? Thanks!

Hi Doris-

The color is Soft Ivory and you can find it here:

second in from the left, top row.

11. Georgette says:

Hi! I've been admiring this blanket for over a year now and finally have some time to do it. I'll definitely use the Magnum yarn in Ecru but I was wondering if there was a way of adding a bit of sparkle to it. I've seen some yarns with sequins and beads already threaded through the yarn. Would you recommend that? Or maybe a much thinner mohair yarn with metallic thread? Do you carry anything like that? Thanks!!!

Hi Georgette-

Sure, you could certainly use a thin strand of something sparkly or fun along with the thicker yarn. We don't carry anything with beads or sequins at the moment but I'm sure you can find something beautiful if you look around.

13. Candice says:

Any advice on knitting a blanket similar to this size with size 50 needles? I have those already and 4 skeins of Cascade Magnum and don't currently own size 36…

How many stitches would you cast on with size 50?

Hi Candice-

You probably want to start out by doing a gauge swatch in pattern on your size 50 needles to see if you like the look of it. Do this by casting on 11 stitches and following the stitch pattern until you have a square. If you like how it looks you can then measure how many stitches you're getting per inch and decide how many to cast on from there.

Good luck with your project!

15. Jen says:

I am looking to make this using the Knit Collage Gypsy Garden (I'm gaga over it!). How many skeins would you suggest as well as needle size to get the same size blanket or close to it?

Hi Jen,

You can see what the Gypsy Garden looks like knit up on US #17 needles with our Fun Kid's Hat (http://purlbee.squarespace.com/the-purl-bee/2010/3/19/whits-knits-fun-kids-hat.html). I'd suggest at least a needle size bigger (a US #19), but much depends on how you knit and what you're going for!

It's hard to guess how many skeins you'll need, but I'd think about ten. If you buy too many, please keep in mind that you can exchange the extras within six months in their original condition.

Thanks for asking. Sounds like a beautiful plan! Please let us know if you need any more help with it!

Whitney

17. rhb537 says:

I'm confused about how much pixie dust yarn I need to order. On Ravelry the pattern says 245 yards. Each skein is 145 yards, so it sounds like I would need 2. However, the instructions on your site say 7 skeins.

Hi rhb537-

You do need 245 yards total. Each skein is 35 yards, not 145 yards, so you will need 7 skeins. Each Skein is 145 grams, which might be the cause of the mix up.

Thank you for writing in and good luck with the project!

19. Sarah says:

Looking at yarns to compare, what weight would you say this is? Is it comparable to a 5 or 6? If a use a worsted weight would I be fine with just doubling that? Thanks!

Hi Sarah-

This yarn is hard to categorize because it goes from very thick to very thin. It is definitely in the 6 or larger category. I don't think doubling a regular worsted weight yarn will be large enough and it also won't create the thick and thin texture that makes this blanket so unique. You could certainly experiment with combining different yarns- just make sure you're getting the correct gauge and that you like the look of the fabric.

Thanks for getting in touch!

21. Lisa says:

I knitted this blanket for my mother and it is gorgeous. I made mine a bit wider, I think 36 stitches, and used maybe 9 or 10 skeins. It was the turquoise color and is truly beautiful. Worth the cost of the yarn because it has such a unique look. And it is warm. Using the 36 needle which I believe is 20 mm. A smaller needle might make the blanket too dense or warm.

22. TJ says:

I FINALLY made this beauty of a blanket!. Actually I didn't use quite as much yard and turned it into a nice sized lap blanket. Made it for a special friend's 50th anniversary gift. I SO loved it.
    It was fun and beautiful.

23. Diane says:

I just finished making this blanket with Cascade Magnum in deep plum, & added fringe. It's lovely, I do feel it's to narrow so I would definitely make it wider next time as suggested in the comments by casting on 55 stitches.

24. Katie says:

Is it possible to just do a straight knit one row purl a row? Or straight up knit the whole thing? I'm not the best at the pattern it calls for!

Hi Katie-

If you knit one row and purl one row the edges will curl but knitting every row (garter stitch) sounds like a great plan!

Good luck with it!

26. Andrea says:

I am a beginner and am currently making this for my Mom for Mother's Day. I LOVE this yarn, it took me a little while to learn how to work with it and I have trouble fixing any errors because its really difficult to see your stitches. This ends up being a good thing for us beginners, because as long as you have the right number of stitches (I cast on 43 after reading the comments that it was a little narrow) its really hard to tell if you messed your knit and purl and it still looks fantastic! Thanks to the Purl team for their help with this in the store and thanks for sharing this wonderful gift idea!

27. Miranda says:

Hi, I've just knitted up the blanket in this gorgeous wool. I'm not a great knitter, but have managed simple but lovely things like scarves, in the round leg warmers, dog jumpers etc. but i've got a problem with the blanket which i didn't expect as it's never happened before ( but i've never knitted this large before)….the bottom is a lot wider than the top (a lot). The bottom is stretchy ( i cast off knit purl knit purl) but the top isn't. There are the same number of stitches top & bottom. Please can you tell me what i've likely done wrong? Thank you

Hi Miranda,

It sounds like you bound off a bit too tightly. This is an extremely common problem! Some people solve it by just consciously working the bind off very loosely; others bind off with a needle one, two or even three sizes bigger than the one they knit with; and still others use an entirely different kind of bind off. We have a tutorial for one such option; it's called the Elizabeth Zimmermann's Better Bind Off Tutorial and it's right here: http://www.purlbee.com/knitting-tutorials-bind-offs/2012/3/16/elizabeth-zimmermanns-better-bind-off.html

I hope this helps you re-align your ends! Thanks so much for your question and please let us know if you have any more!

Whitney

Hi Karley,

Yes, you'll need a US #36 needle and 5 skeins of the Sister; you will double it (yes, shown in the picture) and you get the same finished dimensions!

I hope you love your finished blanket and please let us know if you have any more questions along the way!

Whitney

30. Carla says:

Is this blanket a project that a beginner can do??

Hi Carla-

We wouldn't recommend this for a first project but if you have done something with ribbing before it should be easy!

Thank you for your question!