New Purl Soho Kit: Felt Bird Ornaments!

We're very pleased to announce the arrival of our newest Purl Soho Kit, our Scandinavian style inspired Felt Bird Ornaments!  Their soft ecru wings and tails open to show a splash of cheerful color, we just love how graphic and festive they are gracing a winter branch.

These ornaments are super easy, quick and great fun to make.  The skills involved are very simple (tracing, cutting and hand sewing) which means this kit is appropriate for just about everyone!  Each ornaments takes around 20 minutes to make from start to finish.  We think they're the perfect excuse to get your friends and family together for an afternoon of holiday crafting.

Our Felt Bird Ornament Kits are available in 5 color palettes, pictured above:  Bittersweet (top left), Pear Tree (top right), Poinsettia (center), Golden (bottom left) and Winter Sky (bottom right).

Each kit makes 16 ornaments!  Kit includes, nine pieces of 8-inch x 12-inch wool felt (five ecru, and one each in four contrast colors), Valdani pearl cotton embroidery thread in two coordinating colors, a pack of John James embroidery needles, a Clover water soluble erasable fabric marker, as well as full size templates and detailed instructions, all presented in a sturdy box you'll want to keep!

The Felt Bird Ornaments make lovely and special gifts that will last and be passed down for generations.  And plus, if you don't have enough time to make them, the kit itself makes a wonderful and thoughtful gift for any crafter!

• You can find our Felt Bird Ornament Kits right here.
  • You can find our entire selection of Purl Soho Kits right here.

Happy Holiday Crafting! --The Purl Bee

PS. We are also offering the pattern on its own if you already have the materials at hand, you can find our Felt Bird Ornaments Pattern right here.

21 Responses to New Purl Soho Kit: Felt Bird Ornaments!

1. Emily S says:

I just love all things Scandi!

2. Clotilde M. says:

Those are really cute! They have a homey and old-fashioned charm as well.

3. Eileen of Colorado Springs,CO says:

I remember going over to my best friend's house and making these beautiful bird ornaments about 38 years ago! Only we used a blanket stich around the edge, stuffed them with cotton balls and used embroidery thread for the hanger.
    Thanks for the memories!

4. Julie says:

love the birds. very sweet.

5. Oh, those are very cute. I would like to reblog and link back to you, if that's okay. Thanks for all the great ideas you give us.

Hi Stephanie,
    Yes of course, we would love it if you linked back to us!
    thanks
    PB

7. Ali says:

These are adorable.

8. I have to remember these, 'cause I love them!

9. these little birdies are adorable. I love felt crafts! I also love the idea of them hanging from a painted branch!

10. dkla says:

I wish purl would continue to offer free patterns instead of moving so heavily into kits. I understand you are a business and not a charity, but the free patterns and downloads are what made me such a huge fan of your website and occassional purchaser of supplies from your shop

11. Kirsten says:

Cute – and looks like a beginner like me could do it!

12. How cute and festive! These definitely put me in the mood to make holiday crafts. :)

Hi dkla,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. While we are so happy to hear that you like our site we're sorry to hear that you're not enjoying our new kit offerings. The primary reason we have started offering kits is that so many of our readers have requested them. Please be assured that we will continue to offer many free patterns and projects in addition to our kits as we go forward, and don't forget that out of the hundreds of projects on our site only a few are offered exclusively as kits. In fact a handful of our kit projects, such as our recent Liberty Baby Bib Kit, offer free downloadable templates and/or instructions.

Thank you so much for your patronage and readership, and please let us know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Best Wishes-

Everyone at The Purl Bee

14. i love these. so simple and classic. i think i'll make some as present toppers!

15. I love birds, probably this are more beautiful than my felt birds:)

16. Carolynn says:

I was stopping by to let you know that you were featured on my blog, feel free to grab a featured button on my sidebar if you would like. Super Cute Blog! Here is where you were featured: http://makincuteblogs.blogspot.com/2010/10/15-fun-creative-header-designs-for.html

17. Silvia says:

These ornaments are really nice!! they surely look wonderful on the Xmas tree!! Have a nice weekend!

18. Marisa says:

What an adorable ornament!

I wish you had a pdf copy of the pattern for sale. Shipping costs make it prohibitively expensive.

Hi Marisa,
    We have a special shipping rate for patterns, $2.00. You can ask for it in the special instructions box of your order. Also, just fyi we're working on implementing downloadable pdfs for this very reason.

20. Marisa says:

Great! Thank you!

21. Julie says:

So very cute. Really love them. They have been my christmas present for friends.