Baby Girl Fair Isle Cardigan

I love to knit for babies. Not just for the usual reasons of it being fast and immediately gratifying, but because I love while I'm knitting to think about the baby herself, her budding life and the amazing road ahead of her. I love to think about the explosion of feelings the baby's parents are experiencing and the cocoon of love they are busy creating for their little one. And I love to think that all of these thoughts and good wishes are soaking right into the gift I'm knitting!

I wanted to design a sweater that would reflect these thoughts, that would feel almost as precious as the baby herself.  I wanted it to be delicate and pretty, but practical too, a small version of something that I would want to wear. In short, I wanted to design a super special baby sweater!

Of course a super special baby sweater would have to be made out of something incredibly soft and beautiful and so I turned to Blue Sky's Royal Alpaca. Spun from a very rare quality of luxury alpaca fiber, this yarn is as sumptuous as cashmere and as singular as the baby herself! Royal Alpaca comes in a vintage palette of gentle colors, from petal pink to warm cocoa, perfect for heirloom baby gear. (You'll only need one skein for the newborn or 6 month size and two skeins for the 12 month size.)

So things didn't get too serious, I decided to add a burst of happy color around the yoke in a simple fair isle pattern. When just a little bit of yarn is needed, we love to use mini skeins of embroidery or needlepoint yarn, like Gumnut's Blossoms crewel yarn. It's 100% wool and comes in such a huge array of rich and sophisticated colors that choosing four is a real pleasure.

Our Baby Girl Fair Isle Cardigan is sized for newborns, 6 and 12 month olds. Included in the pattern is a complete list of materials, detailed finished measurements, beautiful photographs and thorough instructions for making your own very special sweater.

If you'd like to get started, you can find the pattern right here.

You will also need:

I hope you enjoy knitting yours as much as I enjoyed knitting mine! - Whitney

62 Responses to Baby Girl Fair Isle Cardigan

1. Michelle says:

Absolutely lovely sweater pattern. Sorry to repeat the request others have made but I would LOVE to have this pattern for adult sizes as well!

Hi Again Readers-

To those asking for other sizes of the pattern- We are planning on developing larger sizes and they should be available in the next few months.

Thank you so much for your enthusiasm!

- Molly

3. Trina says:

Is there any way to get the pattern in a online format since I am traveling and not home to get snail mail? Thanks?

Hi Trina.
    Unfortunately we only have patterns in hard copy format, sorry!
    Laura

5. Mounette says:

Superbe gilet, trs jolies harmonies de couleurs bravo et bonne continuation

6. Marsha says:

Precious!! Please consider adding toddler sizes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Jennifer,

During some recent site reconstruction your question got deleted, but not lost! For other readers, here's what Jennifer asked…

If I wanted to make the 12 month size and the matching hat (I guess baby size) will 1 skein x 5 colors of the Gumnut's be enough? Or will I need 2 skeins of each color? Thanks!

To answer your question,…I imagine that you're referring to the Little Fair Isle Hat when you say the "matching hat", but they're not actually matching. The fair isle pattern and the yarn is different. You could certainly match the two, however, by using the same yarn and colors. I'm not totally sure if you'll have enough of the Gumnut for both. You may need 10 skeins, but you'll definitely have enough of the Royal Alpaca! (By the way, the twelve month size requires two skeins of Royal Alpaca, not one!)

Thanks so much for your question and please let us know if you have more!

Whitney

8. Daniela says:

Hi there- just found this gorgeous pattern- and – like a lot before me- would absolutely love to have a toddler, Kid and adult size! Any chance this might be coming up soon?!

Hi Daniela-

We don't have this on the docket at the moment but we'll keep it in mind going forward.

Thanks for the suggestion!

10. s says:

I would like to add to the request, please add toddler sizes to this beautiful pattern!

11. sss says:

This is a beautiful sweater. I am still wishing for this pattern in larger size. Would love to make this for my 3 year old granddaughter. I haven't found a similar pattern. Please do a version in larger sizes.

12. Laura says:

Yes, yes, yes….please make this pattern in bigger sizes. I’d love to make one for my 9 year old daughter. It’s so incredibly sweet.