Perfect Fit Socks

I think hand knit socks are one of life's underrated pleasures. Like juicy watermelon on a steamy day or good rainboots in a downpour, hand knit socks make everything okay!

I designed these Perfect Fit Socks to wrap your feet in extra deep comfort. For an honestly perfect fit, the toe shapes around your toes with no ouchy seams; the length of the sock is customized to your foot (size charts included); the heel has cozy slip stitch padding; and the leg and top of the foot conform wonderfully to any body, thanks to 2 x 2 ribbing.

And for truly happy feet, I turned to Anzula's latest creation, Cloud. Cloud is a beautiful blend of superwash merino (for softness and structure), nylon (for durability), and cashmere (for dreamy goodness). This yarn is so lightweight and fine that you can look forward to hand knit socks that will actually fit in your shoes! And, at a whopping 575 yards a skein, the best news is you'll only need one!

These socks are sized for men and women, so, while you may want to get started on a pair for yourself, don't forget dad! Father's Day is around the corner, and in the thoughtful present category, nothing beats hand knit socks. Let him know it's time to kick his feet up!

You can purchase a copy of our Perfect Fit Socks Pattern right here, to choose a skein of Cloud, just click here!

Thanks! -Whitney

48 Responses to Perfect Fit Socks

1. Angela says:

I'd love it if they made a great sock yarn that felt this good but that was more affordable. Thoughts?

2. SKeeter says:

Can you tell me if this pattern is top-down or toe-up? And how many yds of yarn are needed? I would love to make these for my hubby for Dad's Day, but I'm a toe-up knitter only …. Thanks!

3. mitali says:

I love this pattern. Is it available as a pdf paid for download? I live in Australia and postage is often more than the product.

4. Z says:

I'm working on my first pair of socks right now.

I hope mine turns out as nice as yours.

5. Lisa says:

Those look so nice and cozy!

Hi Mitali-

At this time we don't offer our patterns as pdfs but the shipping on this would only be $4 to Australia via un-insured regular mail. The "special" shipping price will appear when you check out.

Thank you for your question!

7. purlbee says:

Hi Angela,

You might want to try Madeline Tosh's Tosh Merino LIght (http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/7957-Madeline-Tosh-Tosh-Merino-Light). One skein should be enough for the Small/Medium size and possibly for the Medium/Large size also. It's hand dyed, machine washable and very beautiful!

Thanks for your question,

8. purlbee says:

Hi Skeeter,

Sorry! These socks are knit top-down. I hope you give it a try anyway!

9. Amy says:

What skill level is needed for this pattern? Can you make these socks long as desired if you have enough yarn? (I really like knee socks.) Thanks!

10. Cute socks it is

11. Amanda says:

Can this pattern be used to knit socks for a child too?

12. Meg says:

It's too hot to even look at socks!
    though they are very very pretty :)
    You have a tutorial so I can knit an air conditioner?

13. Toni says:

they look so comfortable and I soooo get the hand knit socks being underated like the comfort of a watermelon on a hot day! fab post and gorgeous socks!

14. purlbee says:

Hi Amy,

These are basic socks to knit, so if you can use double pointed needles and follow a pattern, you should be okay! And if you're making the Small/Medium size you should have enough yarn to reach your knees.

Good luck! Let us know if you have any more questions!

15. purlbee says:

Hi Amanda,

If the circumference size of the finished sock will fit the circumference of the child's foot, then yes, you can use this pattern. I would think that this would only be the case with older kids. For young children and toddlers these socks would probably be too big.

Thanks for your question!

16. Lucy says:

Beautiful socks! Do you have any tips for getting 2×2 rib to look so neat and tidy? I find that the outside edge of my knit stitch before the first purl stitch sort of splays out. I knit "continental" if that makes a difference? Thanks!

17. clémence says:

They look so soft

18. clmence says:

They look so soft

19. purlbee says:

Hi Lucy,

I know what you mean, I've experienced the same thing! Blocking the finished piece certainly helps a lot, and you may want to give a very little extra tug to the last knit stitch of each rib. I also think small imperfections can be a good thing, adding a bit of reality and handmade character to the final piece…

Thanks for your question –

20. cb says:

Are they toe up?

Hi CB-

These are top down, not toe up.

Thanks for your question!

22. Kathy says:

Is this yarn machine washable?

Hi Katy-
    It is machine washable. Thanks for your question!

24. Dizzy Izzy says:

Dear Purl Bee Peeps,

So loving your site – so very inspirational! So much so that I have decided to knit these socks – socks are a first for me. Have ordered the pattern and am patiently waiting on delivery (not a complaint as I only ordered it yesterday!) but am anxious to get my gear together to get started toute de suite when the pattern arrives (Christmas is a-comin' – sorry). Can you tell me please what kind of needles (double ended, circular etc) and what size they are so I can make my purchases?

Many Tks – Dizzy Izzy

ps have already knitted the herringbone cowl following Whit's instructions and it has been very much admired. Thank you.

HI Dizzy Izzy-

You will need size 1 double pointed needles to make these socks. Thanks so much for your nice comment!

26. Dizzy Izzy says:

Have just received my sock pattern today – super swift delivery across the pond – many tks. Sorry, have a question: on page 1, Turning the heel, second line, you use the abbreviation ssk – can you tell me what this means please. Am sure it blindingly obv and me just being dim. Tks so much.

Hi Dizzy Izzy-

SSK means Slip, Slip, Knit. Here is a little tutorial on how it's done:

Thanks for your question!

- Molly

28. Leigh Anne says:

Help!! I have finished the heel, now I can't figure out how to join it and continue. This is the first time I have knitted socks and I am left handed. My end may be in the wrong place.

29. purlbee says:

Hi Leigh Anne,

You might find our Pom Pom Peds pattern helpful. Its construction is similar to the Perfect Fit Socks and has detailed pictures and instructions. Here is a link: http://www.purlbee.com/pom-pom-peds/ . If you've already turned the heel, you'll want to proceed to the Gusset section.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions!

30. Leigh Anne says:

Would it make a difference that I am left handed. I have the pick up stitches on the right side. What stitches do I pick up? Are they the slip stitches?

Hi Leigh Anne,

Assuming you don't knit backwards (from left to right), it shouldn't make a difference that you are left handed. The first stitches you pick up should be along the right gusset with the right side of the fabric facing you. Did you remember to finish turning the heel with a knit row? Also, our Socks for Giving pattern has some useful photos that might help you through this step: http://www.purlbee.com/socks-for-giving/2008/9/10/whits-knits-mens-socks-for-giving-away.html .

And, yes, you do pick up the slipped stitches!

Thanks for your questions and good luck!

32. Leigh Anne says:

Whitney thanks for the help. The pictures on the 2nd tutorial helped alot. I do knitt backwards thanks to my left haned grandmother. If I added another knitt across row would that work? Maybe not. I will see what I can do, I have gotten use to modifing patterns. I will send a picture of my finished sock if I can get this right. Again thanks for your help and ya'll have the best website ever!!

33. Dizzy Izzy says:

OK – so I missed Christmas! The socks I was knitting were intended as a pressie but events kind of overtook me. However, they are finished now and I must say they look fab-u-lous! I am as proud as punch of them. The pattern was easy to follow and the end result looks mighty fine. The heel is beautifully turned, the toe section a work of art and the detailing just delightful. This pattern truly is the business. Well done and thank you.

34. Joan says:

Hi- these look so gorgeous- could you tell me what color you used? Thanks!

Hi Joan,

Good question! The color is Seaside, one of our favorites!

Thanks for asking and happy holidays!

36. carol says:

hi my sock is too big it is the first one i have knitted it is to loose i took a class and did what the pattern said socks to me should fit like a wet tee shirt i want to learn to knit socks but i want them to fit and i do not know how to accomplish that i need to know how meany stitches to cast on and what size needles to use if you could give me some hints i would be very grateful thank you

Hi Carol,

If your socks turned out bigger than the finished measurements of the pattern, then you probably have a gauge problem. That means you probably knit your socks at too loose a tension and need to go down a needle size or two (or three!). Here is our tutorial on the subject of gauge: http://www.purlbee.com/not-too-tight-tutorial/2006/11/15/not-too-tight-tutorial.html

I hope this helps and thanks for asking!

38. Alexa says:

These are beautiful! I was wondering if they could be adapted to magic loop? Thanks!

Hi Alexa,

Sure! Any pattern written for double pointed needles can be knit using the magic loop! When knitting socks, lots of people place markers to indicate each needle in the original pattern. This way you can follow along with the instructions for Needle #1, 2 and 3.

I hope this helps and good luck!

40. Peggy says:

Love these sox! Do you think I would have enough yarn to knit these sox if I used Berroco ultra alpaca fine?
    3.5 oz – 100g, 433 yds – 400 m

41. Jessica says:

I have just purchased this pattern and the anzula yarn. I'm so excited to get started! I have a few questions. How long do you think these take to make? I know everyone's speed is different but I'd like to make 2 pair for Christmas presents. I knit at an average to slightlly above pace. Will I be ok in that time frame? Also because of the rib, do you have any tips on how to avoid the slight gap/seam that results between where the needles join. I always try to pull the joining stitch a little tighter but it seems that tends to increase my tension to a little too tight eventually. Thanks! I am truly addicted to this site! Lovely work!

Hi Jessica,

If you work steadily between now and Christmas, you should be busy, but okay!

One common way to avoid the column of loose stitches between double pointed needles is to slip the stitches around every few rounds so that the "column" never has a chance to develop in one place. In the case of knitting socks, this means that when you get to the gusset and toe, you'll need to place some markers to indicate the ends of Needles #1, 2 and 3.

I hope this gets you on the right path. Please let us know if you have any more questions. You're a very generous knitter!

43. Michelle says:

Can I get two pairs of small womens socks out of one skein of the Anzula cloud?

44. Nancy says:

Just recieved pattern and yarn for these socks, FAB! I'm an experienced knitter and have knit many socks before, but…when working the gusset, I have set up the round, as pattern states, then it says 'knit. ' It doesn't state how many times to make the decreases. I assume, since I have 38 stitches on the inset, which is in ribbing, that I will decrease each side of gusset down to19 sts. Then knit round and round till I begin toe decreases. Please let me know.

Hi Michelle,

No, unfortunately, you can't. Thanks for asking and please let us know if you have any other questions!

Hi Nancy,

The last line of the Gusset section explains how many times to work Rounds 1 and 2 (Round 1 being the decrease round): "Repeat Rounds 1 and 2 until 76 (84) total stitches remain." You're exactly right that this means you will end up with 19 stitches on each of Needles #1 and #3 and 38 stitches on Needle #2 (the instep).

I hope this clears things up for you. Thank you so much for your question and please let us know if you have any more!