Citrus Coasters

Ever since the weather turned warm, I've had visions of pink lemonade and iced tea with lime wedges dancing in my head.  Summer also puts me in the mood to entertain so I thought it would be fun to have a set of coasters to match this citrus drink theme.

I love to have a summer sewing project that is portable so I can take it with me to the beach! Felt is often my material of choice for portable projects since it's ideal for hand sewing.  It's also great for making durable home items like these cheerful coasters.  For this project we used our Spring Felt Bundle because the bright colors reminded us of real citrus fruits.

I love that each coaster is slightly different from the next due to the handsewing. They will add a breezy, summery vibe to any table.  This is the kind of project you can do with very little experience since it requires absolutely no special skills or equipment.-- Molly

Cutting

For each coaster cut the felt as instructed on the template. You will have:

• 2 large colored circles for the peel and the backing
  • 8 colored segments (4 cut from each segment template)
  • 1 ecru circle for the pith

Cut "seeds" out of two or three of the segment pieces by folding the segment piece in half lengthwise and then taking a small snip across the fold to take out a small triangular chunk out of the piece.

Sewing

Place the pith circle in the center of one of the colored circles. Then arrange the segments on top of the pith circle as shown above.

Pin all of these layers together.

Using thread to match the colored felt and a very small running stitch sew on the segment pieces around their edges.

Sew on all of the segments in this manner and press the piece flat.

Pin the other colored circle to the back of the piece.

Hiding the beginning knot in between the front and back colored circles sew the back on with the matching embroidery thread and a small running stitch all the way around the coaster.

Once you've gotten all the way around tie a small knot on the back piece and then pass the needle through the two layers and pull it out in the middle of the back. Snip the thread at the exit point thus hiding it.

Trim edges to make the front look nice and neat.

Repeat all steps to make 2 coasters from each of the colored felt pieces.

63 Responses to Citrus Coasters

1. RobyGiup says:

These coasters are really nice!!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

2. Annette says:

These little citrus coasters will be great to take to the hospital and make while I sit with my husband after his op. I dont know why, but I must make them, they are just such happy positive little things. Thank you for inspiring me.

3. julie says:

what a great summer hostes gift thanks for sharing, God Bless

4. Angel says:

These are the perfect accents for summer on our new glass-topped coffee table. I am adding the citrus features to.a set of placemats also. What a good project!!! Thanks so much!!!

5. Judy says:

What a great idea! Can't wait to get the supplies so I can make them.
    I wonder if there is any way to prevent the condensation from the glasses from going through the felt and getting on the furniture.
    Any ideas?

Hi Judy-

In our experience this hasn't been a problem. The three layers of felt seem to protect the furniture just fine. But if you are worried about it you could cut a circle of template plastic and sandwich it in-between the layers before sewing the two sides together.

Here is a link to our template plastic: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/4965-EZ-Quilting-by-Wrights-Template-Plastic-Extra-Thick

Thank you for your question and good luck with the project!

7. Katie says:

I can't get the template to load.

Hi Katie-

The template is working fine our our end. You might want to try downloading it from a different browser. If that doesn't work you can email me and I'll send you a copy.

Molly AT purlsoho DOT com

9. Emmy says:

Hi! this is sooo cool! im so goning to try this!

10. ~amy~ says:

soooooo SWEET

11. AnNa says:

Thanks for sharing this great idea!
    After adding these to my to-do-list months ago, I finally made some of my own! Check them out on my blog if you like.

12. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured these adorable coasters! You can see them here:

Thanks for another cute and fun project idea!

13. Corey says:

I was inspired by these coasters and your apple coasters to make some kiwi coasters. Thanks for the inspiration, Molly!