Chevron Baby Blanket

If you lived through the 60s and 70s perhaps you have vivid memories of a chevron afghan. Perhaps you appreciated it at the time; were indifferent to it in the 80s; despised it in the 90s; and have developed a deep affection for it over the past decade, itchy acrylic, zany colors and all!

This knitted Chevron Baby Blanket makes some accommodations both for modernity and for babies. Instead of hard-to-cuddle acrylic, this 100% cotton blanket is as deep and soft and cozy as a cloud. And instead of fast food orange and kitchen appliance avocado, this version is a delicate spectrum of natural colors just right for babies!

The next generation of chevron blankets starts with Blue Sky Cotton. Loosely spun into a uniquely cozy cotton, this is one of our very favorite baby blanket yarns. For delicate skin, it's non-allergenic cotton, and for busy parents, it's machine washable (yay!).

The Materials

Get all 7 skein of Worsted Cotton in one place with our Yarn for Chevron Baby Blanket kit. It comes in two pretty colorways:

Dandelion

These colors, from the top, are Lemongrass, Lemonade, Bone, Tulip, Drift, Sleet, and Graphite.

Sky

These colors, from the top, are Indigo, Mediterranean, Caribbean, Tulip, Drift, Sleet and Ash.

The Pattern

3 stitches = 1 inch in garter stitch with yarn doubled

Finished Size

26 x 33 inches

Notes

For this pattern you'll use the Blue Sky Cotton doubled. The best way to double yarn is to pull one strand from the inside of the ball and one strand from the outside. If you don't have a swift and ball winder to wind a center-pull ball, never fear, you can do it by hand! Click here for a great video that shows you how!

If you want to change the sizing or use this stitch pattern for a different project, just cast on a multiple of 14 plus 2 stitches.

Begin

With the Lemongrass (doubled!), cast on 100 stitches. (Try not to leave too long a tail when you cast on. You'll probably need the entire skein to finish the first stripe. If you end up one row short at this point, don't worry! No one will notice!)

**Row 1 (right side): K1, ssk, *k10, k2tog, ssk, repeat from * to last 13 stitches, k10, k2tog, k1. (86 stitches)

Row 2 (wrong side): K6, *knit into front and back (kfb) 2 times, k10, repeat from * to last 8 stitches, kfb 2 times, k6. (100 stitches)

Repeat Rows 1 and 2 until you have knit the entire skein (which should be nine more times).***

Change to the Lemonade color and repeat from ** to ***.

Knit until the skein runs out, making sure to end on the same side you finished the Dark Chocolate. In other words, all of the tails (except, perhaps, the cast on tail) will be along the same selvage, and the first row of every color will be on the "right side" of the blanket and you will end each color on the "wrong side".

Continuing...

Change to the Bone color and repeat from ** to ***.

Continuing...

- See more at: http://www.purlbee.com/2013/01/06/whits-knits-super-easy-lap-blanket/#sthash.egI5gAaD.dpufChange to the Bone color and repeat from ** to ***.

Make sure to end the third color (Bone) on the same side you finished the second color (Lemonade). In other words, all of the tails (except, perhaps, the cast on tail) will be along the same selvage, and the first row of every color will be on the "right side" of the blanket and you will end each color on the "wrong side".

Continue in this pattern for the next three colors, ending each skein with a wrong side row and changing colors on the right side. The next color will be Tulip, followed by Drift, and then Sleet.

For the final color (Graphite), repeat Rows 1 and 2 until you have about 8 yards of yarn left (or nine times). Work Row 1 one more time.

Bind Off Row: Bind off 5 stitches, *(knit into the next stitch and leave the stitch on the left needle, bind off 1 stitch, knit into the back of the stitch, let the stitch off the left needle, bind off 1 stitch) 2 times, bind off 10 stitches, repeat from * to last 8 stitches, (knit into the next stitch and leave the stitch on the left needle, bind off 1 stitch, knit into the back of the stitch, let the stitch off the left needle, bind off 1 stitch) 2 times, bind off 6 stitches, pull the yarn through the last stitch.

Weave in the ends and you're all done!

165 Responses to Chevron Baby Blanket

1. michelle says:

finally finished! 2 sets of yarn, 142 stitches came out to a blanket 36×54!

2. Giannina says:

Do you mind helping with color choice? I am making 2 blankets for boy/girl twins. The color palate for their room is denim, orange and deep red. I would like the blankets to co-ordinate, but also want one to be very much for a girl, and one very much for a boy. Any suggestions? Help! and thanks! I can't get enough of your beautiful web site!

Hi Giannina,

Sure, we love assignments like this! Here's what we came up with for the girl version: True Red, Poppy, Dandelion, Lemonade, Drift, Sleet and Ash. And for the boy: Indigo, Periwinkle, Sky, Drift, Tulip, Dandelion and Poppy.

Or, if you feel like you want to talk in person to someone who has eyes on the yarn, please feel free to call either our New York City store or our California warehouse. This link has the phone numbers and hours: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/contact

Thanks so much for your question; we're all very excited about twin Chevron Blankets!

Whitney

4. Pat says:

I’ve started this blanket and I’m getting the correct gauge. However, I’m finished with the first skein and have only completed 16 rows (4.5 inches). Do I just continue with the other colors at 16 rows ? Should I add an eighth color? Thanks for your help. Love the pattern.

• Whitney from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Pat,

I’d see where you get with the next color. Since you’re not casting on, you may be able to get to 18 rows, and if so, you’ll be able to make a visual determination about whether to stop at 16 or go on to 18.

As far as adding an eighth color goes, I don’t think that will be necessary, since you’re on track for a 31 1 /2 inch blanket, which is only an 1 1/2 short!

I hope this helps. Please let know if you have any other questions along the way!

Whitney

5. Namita says:

Hello,

I am just finishing up my second baby blanket in this pattern (on the last stripe). Per your suggestion I used Thistle, Orchid, Shell and Tulip but I repeated Shell, Orchid and Thistle….It has turned out beautiful……

I am now looking to make another one for my niece and the colors that have been picked for the baby are coral and mint…..Blue Sky Alpaca does not have a good coral. I saw that Spud & Chloe Outer was suggested as a substitute. Outer has the coral but not the mint…… Do you have another suggestion for a yarn to substitute the Blue Sky? Your suggestions are much appreciated…..Thank you!!

6. Namita says:

Thank you so much, Whitney!! Thanks for the advice and the pattern!! Love it!!

7. Kaitlin Capra says:

Hello,
    I’m a fairly new knitter and I have had no trouble completing most of this project. I am at the binding off point and I could use some help. I don’t want to mess it up after I’ve done so well! Could someone please explain to me what I am supposed to do in order to bind off? I’m having a little trouble understanding the instructions as like I said I’m fairly new at this! Thank you

• Whitney from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Kaitlin,

The bind off for this blanket is definitely not standard (I adapted a regular bind off for this particular stitch pattern), but maybe it won’t seem as intimidating once you understand the concept. The idea is that you continue in the same pattern you have been knitting all along, while simultaneously binding off. In other words, you’ll continue to make your kfb’s at the same time you bind off. Try following the instructions very deliberately, step by step, keeping in mind that it’s just a variation of a regular bind off, and hopefully you’ll get it!

Please let us know if you’re still having trouble and we’ll do everything we can to get that blanket off your needles! Thanks so much for your question and good luck!

Whitney

8. Pat says:

I’m almost finished with this blanket for one of my twin g’daughters – used pink parfait, shell, bone, tulip,sleet, orchid and thistle. I’d like to make a second blanket using the same colors but a different pattern. Thinking about the Super Easy Blanket. If I use the same Blue Sky Cotton, and I guess single strand, will I get the gauge recommended for the pattern? Any help much appreciated!

9. Lydia Roedger says:

Hello,
    I’ve finished the first 2 colours of the “Dandelion Kit”. Once I got to the 3 colour (Bone) I ran out of yarn on my last (Row 2) row. It says in the description (under “Begin”) that if you end up one row short that this is no problem since no one will notice! Well that’s not true because you do notice! I continued with “Tulip” and you see the yarn change on the right side of the blanket which is unacceptable. My only option is to either to go back to the very start (which sounds ridiculous)and work 2 less rows per colour in order to end up with even stripes or order another skein of “Bone” to finish the last 50 stiches I had left to do in that colour. I do like the yarn and the pattern but I think it’s quite the thrill to work with since you don’t really know if you can finish a stripe or not which is disappointing when you learn that you run out of yarn. I had very little yarn left when I completed the first two stripes and by all means I’m not a loose knitter. In my opinion there should be a comfortable amount of yarn to finish a stripe or the pattern should be altered.

• Whitney from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Lydia,

I’m sorry you’re having problems! You have made me realize that in the pattern I took for granted something that beginner knitters might not know, which is that you need to change colors with the same side facing you each time. If you don’t, you will end up with that unsightly yarn change on the right side of your work. I have updated the pattern with more in-depth instructions on this point.

So, most of your problems will be solved by taking out just one row of the Bone and starting the Tulip one row sooner. This one row difference in stripe heights will be hardly noticeable once you have made the change on the proper side.

Thank you for asking (and for illuminating a way to improve the pattern) and please let us know if you have any other questions!
      Whitney

10. Whitney from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Pat,

With a single strand, you would end up with a blanket similar to our version called the Worsted Twist Super Easy Crib Blanket: http://www.purlbee.com/2013/09/22/super-easy-blankets/.

However, since the Blue Sky Worsted Cotton is about 15 yards shorter than the Worsted Twist, you may want to cast on 134 stitches instead of 138 to make sure that, if you use an entire skein for each stripe, your blanket comes out properly proportioned. In this regard, it’s also important to get the same gauge of 4 1/2 stitches to the inch in garter stitch.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions and thanks so much for this one!

Whitney