Brioche Stitch: 2-Color Brioche in the Round

Brioche knitting is a simple multicolor technique that creates a beautiful fabric of ridges and valleys. The color play of fair isle or intarsia without the bother of tangled balls of yarn and pesky tails. Brioche fabric is truly as lofty and luxurious as its namesake, the light and buttery brioche bun.

For the pattern of the two-colored Brioche cowl pictured above, click here!

Below you will find a tutorial for 2-color Brioche, in the round. The piece above was started with 5 rounds of knitting in Yarn B.

Pattern Notes

• bk2tog [brioch knit 2 together]: knit next knit stitch together with its paired yarnover
  • bp2tog [brioche purl 2 together]: purl next purl stitch together with its paired yarnover
  • YOS [yarn over slip]: Bring yarn to front of work, slip one as if to purl, bring yarn over right needle to back of work.
  • After working a round with Yarn A,  leave yarn hanging at front of work.
  • After working a round with Yarn B, leave yarn hanging at the back of work.

Round 1: With Yarn A, *YOS (see Pattern Notes above), p1, repeat from * to end of round.

Leaving Yarn A hanging at front of work, continue working in Yarn B.

Round 2: With Yarn B, *bk2tog (see Pattern Notes above), YOS, repeat from * to end of round

Leaving Yarn B hanging at back of work, continue working with Yarn A.

Round 3: With Yarn A, *YOS, bp2tog (see Pattern Notes above), repeat from * to end of round. Leave yarn A in front of work.

Round 4: With Yarn B, *bk2tog, YOS, repeat from * to end of round. Leave Yarn B in back of work.

Repeat Rounds 3 and 4 until desired length.

21 Responses to Brioche Stitch: 2-Color Brioche in the Round

1. SImone says:

OK in dutch we call this “patent-steek”. It should be noted that while using this stitch is more labor intensive per stitch, however per inch you need less stitches. I once made a hat for my daughter that I ended up wearing myself (it's even too big for me) because of that.

2. Katie says:

Thanks so much for this great tutorial. Love your blog!

3. Strix says:

Hi,
    does this require an even number of stitches for the cast on?

Strix, yes is does! It requires an even number. Great question. Thanks for writing in. –Laura

5. Noga says:

Hi: This may seem obvious but could you explain how you would knit this with just a single color yarn? I am confused as to where to position the yarn in each of the rounds…. Thanks so much! n

Hi Hoga,
    Unfortunately we do not have a pattern written for single color brioche stitch in the round at the moment. Here is a link to a pattern for single color brioche stitch knit flat: http://purlbee.squarespace.com/berlin-scarf/
    Laura

7. Noga says:

Hi Laura: Thanks so much for your response! I will check it out! Best, n

8. Ally says:

If you wanted to follow this pattern exactly, I am guessing you could use two skeins of the same color yarn to achieve the texture of brioche, but resulting in a solid color piece.

Hi Ally-

For the exact pattern click on the link in the intro or here: http://purlbee.squarespace.com/brioche-hat-cowl/

Good luck with it!

10. cathryn says:

help! mine doesnt look right, especially the back. do you have a video?

Hi Cathryn,
    We do not have a video at the moment, but hopefully will soon.
    Thanks for the interest!
    Laura

12. Charlie says:

Hi there,

What weight is the yarn that you have used, from the photo it looks like a Chunky yarn. I find that the yarn you use makes me a bit itchy, so wanted to look for an alternative to make the scarf with.

Hi Charlie-

Here is a link to this project, the yarns are listed in the Materials section:

Both yarns are soft and worsted weight, not chunky.

Thank you so much for your question!

14. Jenny says:

I have tried a few times to practice this stitch before committing to the project, and I think I'm getting stuck on where it says: (yarn over from previous round + following stitch). I usually am k2tog or p2tog with the stitch then the yo (in order from right to left) help!

Hi Jenny.

The note in the parenthesis is just letting you know that the two stitches that you are knitting together are the next stitch and it's “sash” or stitch created by your yarning over on the previous round.
    Hope this helps.
    Laura

16. RachelinLondon says:

Silly question – but is the YOS slipped purlwise in both pattern rows? I'm determined not to let this defeat me!

Hi RachelinLondon,
    Not a silly question at ALL!
    They are purlwise slips in both rounds!
    You're going to love this once you get in the rhythm.
    Holler if you have any other questions.
    Laura

18. Jenny says:

OK, I have tried to swatch this so many times trying different techniques, and I have a problem with it not turning out reversible, which is the whole point of this beautiful scarf! My 'yarn A' has ridges and valleys, but on the other side, there are no defined ridges, it looks like my yarn vomited all over the place in both colors. I know this description isn't really helping, but I would love a video tutorial for this particular stitch:) I've searched on youtube for someone to show me how to stitch this with the throw method, but there's none out there! Please help purlbee! (as you can see, I'm desperate!!) I even posted my swatch on instagram to see if anyone out there had any helpful hints! I don't mean to be one of those people…but help would be so greatly appreciated!! Thank you :)

Hi Jenny-

If you send us a photo we might be able to figure out what's going on. You can send it to Molly AT purlsoho DOT com.

Thanks for getting in touch!

20. Cheron says:

I have tried many times ,can't seem to get it Always seems to go wrong at end and beginning of row Wish you had a. Video Can you help

Hi Cheron,
    Thanks for writing in. We will be sure to put two-color brioche stitch on (the top of) our list of videos to make.

Sometimes at the end of the round, people forget about the yarn over. Do you think you may be getting off by one yarn over?
    Laura