Paint Pail Mittens

There was always an art project when I was growing up. Between Mom and Aunt Julie, I was constantly drawing and building, cutting and pasting, tie dying and finger painting. Recently I was reminded of those special times as I watched Aunt Julie and my 3-year-old niece deeply engrossed in paint mayhem. Little Gwyneth’s fingers were all shades of the rainbow.Having eschewed paintbrushes for fingertips, she swirled the paints around with reckless abandon, wondering when someone might stop her!

The Paint Pail Mittens are a nod to those carefree days of dipping fingers into buckets of bright paint. Knit primarily in the sumptuous Swan’s Island Worsted organic merino and topped off with Madeline Tosh’s Tosh Merino in the electric Edison Bulb color, you and your favorite crafting buddy will make quite a duo!

This simple pattern includes six sizes, from 2 years to Adult Men’s Large. One skein of the Swan’s Island Worsted makes one kids and one adult pair. And one skein of the Tosh Merino will be ample contrast yarn for at least three pairs of any size. You will also need double pointed needles and, of course, a Paint Pail Mitten Pattern, which you can purchase right here! Happy crafting and happy winter! -Laura

33 stitches = 4 inches in rib pattern, unstretched, with larger needles in Main Color.

Sizes

2 to 4 (4 to 6, 8 to Women's Small/Medium, Women's Medium/Large, Men's Small/Medium, Men's Medium/Large)

• Circumference, unstretched: 4 (4 1/2, 5 1/2, 6, 6 1/2, 7) inches
  • Length from Tip to Cuff: 5 3/4 (7 1/4, 10, 10 3/4, 11 1/2, 12 1/4) inches

8 Responses to Paint Pail Mittens

1. Nikà says:

At least, we do'nt lose them!

2. Krisha says:

Very nice! And I suspect the light pair will match your brioche hat + cowl !

3. MB@YarnUiPhoneAppv1.9 says:

Gosh, what child – especially of the "I'm too cool to wear mittens!" variety – wouldn't wear this just to get everyone's attention? I'm checking out that electric Edison Light yarn. Fabulously neon!

4. Claire Jain says:

Oooooh, these are cool!!! Thanks for sharing.

5. Margaret says:

For the thumb gusset? When you have to cable cast-on, wouldn't the yarn be coming from the last stitch put onto the waste yarn? Just trying to grasp where to begin casting-on

6. geisslein says:

I´m SO SO SO in love with these gloves! They are toooo beautiful :o)
    Greetings from germany, geisslein

7. geisslein says:

Im SO SO SO in love with these gloves! They are toooo beautiful :o)
    Greetings from germany, geisslein

8. Neon can leave me cold, but your mittens have re-classified them as worthy a second look. I love the taupe with bright tip!

Suzanne U.