Paint Pail Mittens
There was always an art project when I was growing up. Between Mom and Aunt Julie, I was constantly drawing and building, cutting and pasting, tie dying and finger painting. Recently I was reminded of those special times as I watched Aunt Julie and my 3-year-old niece deeply engrossed in paint mayhem. Little Gwyneth’s fingers were all shades of the rainbow.Having eschewed paintbrushes for fingertips, she swirled the paints around with reckless abandon, wondering when someone might stop her!
The Paint Pail Mittens are a nod to those carefree days of dipping fingers into buckets of bright paint. Knit primarily in the sumptuous Swan’s Island Worsted organic merino and topped off with Madeline Tosh’s Tosh Merino in the electric Edison Bulb color, you and your favorite crafting buddy will make quite a duo!
This simple pattern includes six sizes, from 2 years to Adult Men’s Large. One skein of the Swan’s Island Worsted makes one kids and one adult pair. And one skein of the Tosh Merino will be ample contrast yarn for at least three pairs of any size. You will also need double pointed needles and, of course, a Paint Pail Mitten Pattern, which you can purchase right here! Happy crafting and happy winter! -Laura
- Main Color: 1 skein of Swan's Island's Worsted, 100% Organic Merino. This is the color Natural (Oatmeal).
- Contrast Color: 1 skein of Madeline Tosh's Tosh Merino, 100% Superwash Merino. This is the color Edison Bulb.
- A set of US #5, double pointed needles
- A set of US #6, double pointed needles
- 2 removable stitch markers
33 stitches = 4 inches in rib pattern, unstretched, with larger needles in Main Color.
2 to 4 (4 to 6, 8 to Women's Small/Medium, Women's Medium/Large, Men's Small/Medium, Men's Medium/Large)
- Circumference, unstretched: 4 (4 1/2, 5 1/2, 6, 6 1/2, 7) inches
- Length from Tip to Cuff: 5 3/4 (7 1/4, 10, 10 3/4, 11 1/2, 12 1/4) inches