Hudson’s Bay Inspired Crib Blanket

We love the Hudson's Bay Blanket for its classic simplicity and beauty. And maybe more, we love the underlying belief that, even in the midst of the great Canadian wilderness with its arduous cold and haunting vastness, the Hudson's Bay Blanket will protect us.

Originally, the Hudson's Bay Blanket's lightweight warmth and insulation made it common barter for Native American goods, like beaver pelts, buffalo robes and moccasins. But in the last three hundred years the Hudson Bay Blanket has come a long way. Now it is practically a national symbol to many Canadians, and to the rest of the world, an unmistakable design icon.

I love the idea of a handknit version, borrowing the iconography of the original and lending it a little homemade twist! Sized for a baby's crib, I'm also tickled by the notion of a small child wrapped in the gear of a rugged adult. No baby in sight? Use it as a gorgeous throw over your favorite chair, in front of a roaring fireplace. It may not be an open fire deep in a white pine forest, but, hey, you're probably not a fur trapper either!

For this special project we turned to Anzula's absolutely gorgeous For Better or Worsted. A merino, cashmere, nylon blend, it is the perfect blanket yarn with its machine washable durability and cuddly soft coziness. And its quirky hand dyed colors give the Hudson's Bay Blanket a fresh look, warm and bright!

So, for a great barter idea this holiday season, give a handknit Hudson's Bay Crib Blanket. In exchange, you'll get a whole lot of love!

The Materials

• Anzula's For Better Or Worsted, 80% Superwash Merino Wool , 10% Cashmere and 10% Nylon. You'll need:
    • 6 skeins of Au Natural
    • 1 skein of Teal
    • 1 skein of Ducky
    • 1 skein of Candied Apple
    • 1 skein of Juniper

The Pattern

19 stitches = 4 inches in garter stitch

Finished Size

34 inches wide and 39 inches long (Note: Garter stitch has a tendency to stretch, so your blanket will "grow" beyond these dimensions.)

Notes

• When this pattern refers to "ridges", it means a garter stitch ridge which is formed by knitting two rows. Counting "ridges" is an easy way to determine how many rows you have knitted without having to count as you work. But if you find this confusing, just multiply the number of ridges given by 2 and that is how many rows you should knit (ie 6 ridges is 12 rows).
  • Always change colors with the right side facing you, so that all of the tails are along the same selvedge.

Begin

With the Main Color (Au Natural), cast on 162 stitches.

Knit until piece measures 4 1/2 inches from the cast on edge (or 21 ridges).

With the Teal, knit 6 ridges.

With the Main Color, knit 6 ridges.

With the Ducky, knit 6 ridges.

With the Main Color, knit 6 ridges.

With the Candied Apple, knit 6 ridges.

With the Main Color, knit 6 ridges.

With the Juniper, knit 6 ridges.

With the Main Color, knit for 11 3/4 inches (or 53 ridges).

With the Juniper, knit 6 ridges.

With the Main Color, knit 6 ridges.

With the Candied Apple, knit 6 ridges.

With the Main Color, knit 6 ridges.

With the Ducky, knit 6 ridges.

With the Main Color, knit 6 ridges.

With the Teal, knit 6 ridges.

With the Main Color, knit 4 1/2 inches (or 21 ridges).

Bind off loosely in knit stitch.

Weave in the ends and tada!

91 Responses to Hudson’s Bay Inspired Crib Blanket

Hi Kristel,

I'm afraid that the best answer I can give you is probably! I'm 90% sure that you'll be fine, but I can't honestly remember how much yarn I had left over, and the remainders have long since been made into hats and mittens and who-knows-what!

Thanks for asking and good luck!

2. Kristel says:

Ok I'll be sure to weigh as I go! Thanks!

3. Amelia says:

I need help! Left my knitting at my boyfriends grandmas house and I came back to find she had tried to work on it, but has connected several rows into the round, and knitted back on herself for a couple rows!

I want to frog about 5 rows to get it right again, but I have never frogged with garter stitch, can someone tell me how to?

Hi Amelia,

That's a great story, although you may not see it that way!

On fixing the fiasco… If you don't want to risk dropping stitches, you can remove the needle and insert it along the row where you start knitting. Just like with stockinette, you should pick up the right leg of each stitch, basically weaving over one leg and under then next, then rip out the knitting to that point.

I hope this gets you back on track! Watch out for grandma!

5. June says:

I just tried to order the au natural for this blanket, but you didn't have all six skeins available. I ordered 4 so I can get started as I have a very long car ride ahead of me. Can someone notify me when the other 2 become available? Also, can the skeins be "wound" before shipping? Thanks for your assistance!

Hi June-

Please email customerservice AT purlsoho DOT com and they will be happy to get all of this done for you. Good luck with the project and thanks so much for getting in touch!

7. What a beautiful blanket! I'm writing an article on DIY blankets for SheKnows.com and would love to include one of your images, with a photo credit and link back to this post. Please let me know if I have your permission. Thanks very much! (My deadline is Thursday 9/5)

Hi Elaina-

You may use one of our images as long as you link back directly to this project.

Thanks so much for getting in touch!

9. Fantastic. Yes – I will include a link and direct readers here for all the details. Thanks so much!

10. Elaina says:

Good morning! Just wanted to send over a link to my article featuring your beautiful blanket: http://www.sheknows.com/home-and-gardening/articles/1015719/12-diy-throws-bloggers-have-shared

Thanks and have a wonderful day!

11. Willow says:

Any chance you could price out the cost of the yarn for me? I'd love to make this, but want to calculate the cost first. I have the needles.
    Thanks so much for all the beautiful patterns and ideas you provide!
    -Willow

Hi Willow-

Please contact customerservice AT purlsoho DOT com and they can help you with this!

13. Kristin Carlson says:

I saw this baby blanket on the Spud and Chloe website. I made the baby blanket version for my three oldest grandkids. We also have an original Hudson bay blanket at our cabin, so my husband wanted me to add the black stripes to each one – for how many beaver hides it would take to trade for this blanket. The kids love their blankets and it was a fun project.

14. Isla says:

Hello everyone!
    I know literally nothing about knitting, no one in my family knits, but I decided to give it a go with this blanket and I'm really enjoying it. Except, I'm maybe a quarter of the way through and it's literally riddled with holes. This, according to a friend, will mean the whole thing will unravel, as the holes are all over and all from dropped stitches. Is there any way I can salvage this?
    Thanks, Isla

15. Cassie says:

Is this blanket available for purchase anywhere, I am so so in love with it and have no clue how to knit!

Hi Cassie-

We don't sell any of our finished projects. But if you ever feel like learning to knit this is a very easy pattern!

Hi Isla,

Holes are very common for first-time knitters. Often they aren't caused by dropped stitches, but rather by having brought the yarn over the right needle before you began a stitch.This kind of hole will not unravel. To find out if you do, in fact, have dropped stitches in your knitting (which, it's true, will unravel), gently tug on each hole to see if the hole is stable or if it could get bigger.

If you do have dropped stitches and you have no one to help you fix them (consider visiting your local yarn shop for help!), then I would recommend sewing down the dropped stitches to prevent them from unraveling further.

Thanks for asking and congratulations on your first knitting project!

18. claire says:

Hi! I just wanted to confirm – this calls for a circular knitting needle?? I am new to knitting and from what I can tell, circular needles tend to be used more for hats and things that are rounded. Just wanted to be sure before I started and bought everything. Thanks!

Hi Claire-

Yes this calls for a circular needle. A circular needle has a long cable that connects its two ends. In this case you will not be knitting in a circle (or "in the round" in knitter's speak) but rather just using this cable to hold the wide width of all of the stitches. You just use the circular needle as you would two straight needles!

Please let us know if you have any more question!

20. Melissa says:

If I wanted to do just red and Blue stripes, could I still get away with 1 skein of red and 1 of blue, or should I get 2 skeins of each? Thanks!

21. angelika says:

I started making this as a throw by casting on 228. (I think that it will end up being a bit larger because I am getting 4 stitches to an inch). I'm trying to figure out the math for changing the proportions of each color…could you help? Thank you very much!

Hi Melissa,

I think you'll be okay with one skein of each. If you want to be very sure, you can buy two of each but leave the second skeins unwound. They'd be returnable for store credit within six months of the time you purchase them. But, as I said, I think you'll get away with two!

Thanks for asking and good luck!

Hi Angelika,

If the width of your blanket is 57 inches (228 divided by 4) then you should make the first Main Color section 71/2 inches; the stripes and the spaces between the stripes 2 1/8 inches; and the middle Main Color section 19 3/4 inches.

I hope this gets you on the right path! Thanks for asking and good luck!

24. Sarah says:

I love this pattern! Is there a Hudson's Bay lap blanket pattern available?

HI Sarah,

We don't have a lap blanket version of this pattern, but if you have specific dimensions in mind, let me know and I can help you with the proportions.

Thanks for asking!

Hi Katie-

You need to do a gauge swatch to figure out how many stitches you are getting per inch with your particular yarn and needles.

The finished size of this blanket is 34-inches wide so when you determine how many stitches you are getting per inch just cast on 34 X that number. For instance, if you were getting 5 1/2 stitches per inch you would cast on 34 X 5.5 = 187.

Hope this helps and good luck with the project!

27. Diane says:

I really love this, especially being Canadian. And thank you for sharing these patterns, especially helpful for newbies like me. I'm actually going to make this and will likely use it as a lap blanket for our guest bedroom.

28. Kitty says:

Hi,

I'd like to use the Blue Sky cotton yarns for this blanket. What colors do you recommend to use for the strips? Thanks!

Hi Kitty,

The color whizzes at the store suggest for the stripes you use 2 skeins each of 633 Pickle, 641 True Red, 638 Dandelion and 632 Mediterranean, and for the body of the blanket, 8 skeins of Bone.

Sounds nice! Please let us know if you have any more questions and good luck!

Hi Megan,

Sure! We like to slip the first stitch of every row knitwise with the yarn in back, and when you're changing colors, knit the first stitch instead of slipping it.

I think you'll get away with one skein, but it's close! Maybe work the first stripe and weigh the remaining skein. If more than half is left over, you'll be all set!

Thanks for your questions and please let us know if you have any more!

31. Haley says:

I'm thinking of doing this in the cascade yarns Ultra Pima in just two colors (natural and marigold) How many skeins would I need of each.? Alternatively, do you have any other yarn suggestions that would make for an elegant crib blanket with great drape? Thanks!

Hi Haley,

I would get 6 or 7 skeins of the main color and 2 or 3 skeins of the contrast color. I think the Ultra Pima will make a very nice crib blanket (and I love your colors!). Other plant fiber yarns (like linen and bamboo) would also have a nice drape, but the Pima is machine washable (which is good!) and has a very subtle, "elegant" sheen!

Thanks for your questions. I think it's going to be really lovely!

33. Alison Cartwright says:

Made this in Cascade 220 for an upcoming grandchild due to be born in Yellowknife in August. To make it more authentic, I added three and a half "points" (thin black lines) just above the green strip to indicated the weigh of the yarn used in the blanket. I have enough of the yarn left over to make baby a hooded Hudson Bay Blanket Sweater similar to the coats worn by the Hudson Bay Company and Northwest Company voyageurs in the 18th and 19th C. Might even add a proper Metis sash.

34. Karley says:

Hi,

I am thinking if making this blanket using Manos Del Uruguay Maxima, I just want to confirm that this would be a good yarn to use for the pattern? I'm a new knitter so I' just a bit unsure! Also, if Maxima is an okay yarn to use, would you be able to suggest what colours would work best?

Hi Karley,

Sounds great! Just keep in mind that the Maxima is thicker than the For Better or Worsted so you'll probably want to use a bigger needle (try a US #10), and to get the same size as this blanket, you'll need to cast on fewer stitches. To figure out how many, knit up a gauge swatch, measure the number of stitches per inch you get and multiply that number by the width you'd like your blanket to be.

And for a kind of funky interpretation of the colors, you could use Natural for the background and Kelly, Coral, Highlighter and Helium for the stripes. Or if you'd like to talk about your options, always feel free to call our store (212 420-8796) for a one-on-one color consultation!

Thanks for much for your question and please let us know if you have any more!

36. Sherri says:

I’m finally doing this! I am making it in Cascade 220 and am making it a bit larger. Wondering when you say to change colours to do it on the right side- how do I know what the right side is? It’s easy to tell when I’m knitting one side and purling the other, but when it’s all knit? Sorry if it’s a dumb question!

• Whitney from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Sherri-

Great question! When you add the second color, you are at that moment determining the right side! Whichever side is facing you when you add that second color is now the right side, and you should always change colors with that side facing you. (You’ll notice that the wrong side has a less tidy color change.)

Thank you so much for asking and please let us know if you have any more questions along the way!

• Sherri says:

Thanks so much- sorry I didn’t see my last comment when I was checking. Please disregard!

37. Sherri says:

How do I know what the right side is when it’s in garter stitch? You mention changing colours on the right side so that the ends are all on the same side. I have wanted to make this blanket for years- so excited! I am making it a bit larger though. Thanks.

38. Sherri says:

I feel like I’m being a pain- but I’m starting to panic. I am making this in Cascade 220. Cast on 228 stitches. When I purchased it, the yarn shop sold me 6 balls of the main colour, 1 of each additional colour. I have only just started, but I’m just over 4 inches and 1 ball is almost used up. I’m certainly not a rocket scientist, but if I do the stripes 21/8 in as suggested, and middle section 19 3/4, how short am I going to be? I’m worried about matching colours if I need to buy more, as the yarn shop is a few hours away from me.
    Help!

• Whitney from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Sherri,

It sounds like you’re going to need some more yarn! Since your blanket is bigger than the one in our pattern, I’d suggest getting two more of the main color (only wind one into a ball in case you don’t end up needing the other, which you would then be able to return for store credit within six months). And if you want to make two 2 1/2-inch stripes with each skein of contrast yarn and one skein yields you 4 inches, then you’ll need to either get another skein of each color or modify the design to 2-inch stripes!

Most importantly, rest assured that Cascade 220 is quite consistent between dye lots and that, in this case, you can easily make sure that your different dye lots aren’t actually touching each other!

Please let us know if you need more help and good luck!