Rick Rack Scarf

I recently unearthed the first project I ever knit, a moth-eaten stockinette scarf. I made it over twenty years ago while I was spending a school year in rural France. My French "mother" was the town librarian and an amazing knitter. She opened her stash basket to me and walked me through every step of that crazy scarf.

Since then I've made dozens of scarves, and I wonder sometimes if I've run out of fresh ideas for the next one. After all, the criteria for a scarf pattern are rather stringent: something that lies flat, that looks good on both sides and that has a soft and beautiful drape. I was so happy to discover this Rick Rack Rib; it meets all of those standards and also happens to evoke one of my all time favorite things, rick rack! Thanks, Barbara Walker!

With the holiday season upon us, I made sure to use a super special yarn for the super special people on your list, including scarf-o-phobe men! Jade Sapphire's softer-than-soft 8 Ply Mongolian Cashmere amazes everyone with its cloud-like loft and downy touch. This is definitely a far cry from that first wonky scarf!

The Materials

• 4-5 skeins of Jade Sapphire's 8 Ply Cashmere, 100% Mongolian Cashmere. This color is Sterling. Four skeins will make a 53-inch long scarf and five skeins will make one 66 inches long.
  •  US #8 knitting needles, straight or circular.

The Pattern

6 1/2 stitches = 1 inch in Rick Rack Rib

Finished Size

With 5 skeins: 7 inches wide and 66 inches long

With 4 skeins: 7 inches wide and 53 inches long

Begin

Cast on 46 stitches. (The Rick Rack Rib works over any multiple of 3 plus 1.)

Row 1 (right side): P1, *skip first stitch, knit into back loop of second stitch (leaving stitch on left needle), knit into front of first stitch (removing both stitches from left needle), p1, repeat from * to end of row.

Row 2 (wrong side): K1, *purl into second stitch (leaving stitch on left needle), purl into first stitch (removing both stitches from left needle), k1, repeat from * to end of row.

Repeat Rows 1 and 2 until piece measures 53 or 66 inches long (depending on how many skeins you're using), ending with Row 2.

Bind off on a right side row in a p1, k2 pattern.

Weave in your ends and gently block!

Here's How to Do It!

Row 1:

To "knit into back loop of second stitch" bring the right needle to the back of the work and insert it into the back of the second stitch on the left needle and knit:

Then, leaving that stitch on the left needle, go on with "knit into front of first stitch" by bringing the right needle around to the front of the work and knitting the first stitch through the front loop, just like you normally would:

Now take both stitches off the left needle, bring the yarn to the front of the work and purl 1 stitch.

Row 2:

To "purl into second stitch" bring the yarn to the front of the work and purl into the second stitch on the left needle, just like a normal purl stitch:

Then, leaving that stitch on the left needle, go on with "purl into first stitch" by purling the first stitch through the front loop, like you normally would:

Now take both stitches off the left needle, bring the yarn to the back of the work and knit 1 stitch.

And here's what the right side of the Rick Rack Rib looks like!

60 Responses to Rick Rack Scarf

1. Ad says:

This is a gorgeous pattern. Simple but classy. I love it. I'll keep it in a corner of my head for my futur works.

2. Sunfish says:

Thank you for this beautiful pattern. The only problem I am having is correcting errors I make when I knit past the time I am too sleepy to knit! I cannot figure out a way to unknit, so I can correct an error a couple of inches back on my needle. Any suggestions ? Thanks

Hi Sunfish,

It is, of course, possible to unknit stitch by stitch, but I'm not sure it's possible to explain it in writing! One thing to look out for is that many of the stitches are out of order, meaning that the second stitch may be third on the needle (for example).

If this hurts your head and if you're not using a slippery yarn, you might be best off removing the stitches from the needle and unraveling your work to the row where you made the mistake.

Thanks so much for your question and please let us know if you have any more!

Whitney

4. Becca says:

I absolutely adore this pattern, and I have the perfect yarn to use, but I was wondering if there was any way to make the pattern reversible?

5. Hilda says:

Lindo esse ponto. Mas no entendi como feito. Gostaria muito de fazer um cachecol com esse ponto. Poderia me explicar melhor? Ou existe algum vdeo?

HI Becca,

I haven't worked out a way to make this stitch reversible, but a reader named Dave did leave a comment last year with his idea about how it might work. He said,

"I was wondering if you tried knitting into the back of the second stitch, then knitting the first stitch, but instead of just purling the next two – use the pattern from the second row and purl into the second stitch, then into the first? That might create a reversible knit. I think that would show the pattern on both sides. I'll have to try that."

I agreed with him that, yes, he would have to try that! I hope that someone lets us know how it goes!

Thanks for your question and please let us know if you have more!

Whitney

7. Patricia B. says:

I love this scarf! What cast on method did you use?

Hi Patricia B-

We used a long tail cast on.

9. Nik says:

What a lovely lovely scarf. But using 5 skeins of the yarn suggested would cost about $250. That's a lot for a scarf!

Hi Nik-

This scarf is made from a very special yarn so it is a bit of a splurge. However we are always happy to recommend less expensive (but still beautiful!) options! This project will work with any worsted weight yarn. Below are some ideas:

3 Skeins of Eco Cloud http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/8065-Cascade-Yarns-Eco-Cloud This yarn is soft and comes in great natural colors!

3 Skeins of Purlsoho's Worsted Twist http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/9239-Purl-Soho-Worsted-Twist Our exclusive 100% Merino is soft and smooth. The color "Sea Salt" would be a great substitution for the cashmere yarn we originally used.

2- 3 Skeins of For Better or Worsted http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/7913-Anzula-For-Better-or-Worsted This yarn is also very soft and comes in a beautiful rainbow of hand dyed colors.

Please let us know if you need any more help with this project and thanks for getting in touch!