Eleventh Hour Blanket

It's not too late to wrap your favorite people in hand knit love! True, starting a knitted blanket now would normally be a recipe for big time holiday stress; but since we should all banish yuletide overdrive from our lives, I decided to design a blanket that, even if you worked at a leisurely pace, you could start now (or next week!) and be done in plenty of time for Christmas!

Of course, for this plan to work the blanket would have to be the kind of beautiful gift you love to give. And so for inspiration, I turned to a perennial Purl Bee favorite, the Eleventh Hour Scarf, and borrowing the concept, the yarn and the stitch pattern, the Eleventh Hour Blanket was born!

Doubling Cascade's very soft and very bulky Magnum means not only a quick knit, but a deep and toasty blanket, perfect for cuddling and snoozing. It may not be the eleventh hour to the holiday season, but as far as knitting blankets goes, it is!

The Materials

The Pattern

About 3 1/2 stitches = 4 inches in seed stitch, with yarn doubled and using the larger needles

Finished Size

42 inches x 52 inches

Begin

NOTE

• For the Main Color, you will use the Magnum doubled. The best way to do this is to pull from two balls at once. For the seventh ball, just pull one strand from the inside of the ball and one strand from the outside. If you don't have a swift and ball winder to wind a center-pull ball, never fear, you can do it by hand! Click here for a great video that shows you how!

With two strands of the Main Color and the circular needles, cast on 45 stitches.

Row 1: *K1, p1, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.

Repeat Row 1 until you have used all seven skeins, leaving enough yarn for the bind off row.

Bind off loosely in k1, p1 pattern.

I-Cord Edge

NOTES

• For the I-Cord Edge you will no longer double the yarn. You'll use just one strand of the Contrast Color, like normal!
  • I like to use a Provisional Cast On for this kind of edging so that, later, I can graft the two ends together. If you feel overwhelmed by a Provisional Cast On, then just cast on as usual and you can sew the ends together when you're through.

With one strand of the Contrast Color and the double pointed needles, cast on 3 stitches.

Starting a few inches from a corner, make an Attached I-Cord around the entire blanket, picking up 1 stitch for every row or stitch.

AT THE CORNERS

When you get to a corner, knit 1 row of the I-cord without attaching it (in other words, just knit 3 stitches and slide them to the right end of the needle), then pick up a stitch at the corner (knit 2, slip 1, yarn over, pick up 1 stitch, pass the yarn over and slipped stitch over), make 1 more row without attaching, and then continue the Attached I-cord as usual.

Finishing

When you have knitted the Attached I-Cord all the way around, then use the Kitchener Stitch to graft the two ends together. (If you didn't use a Provisional Cast On, then just sew the two ends together.)

Weave in the ends and enjoy your big, cozy blanket!

76 Responses to Eleventh Hour Blanket

1. Amie says:

I finished this blanket a few months ago using Cascade Magnum in pumpkin spice for the body and galaxy for the icord. I absolutely love how thick and cozy it is, but the one trouble I've had with my finished blanket is the amount of fuzz coming off of it. Is there anything I can do to reduce the amount this blanket pills/sheds? I've got pumpkin spice tumbleweeds all over my house!

Hi Amie,

Loosely spun fibers do have a tendency to shed, which does diminish over time. Meanwhile, you can try hand washing your blanket (soak it for 15 minutes or so in warm water with gentle detergent, rinse it and squeeze out as much of the excess water as you can) and then drying it in a dryer on the AIR DRY setting for about 10 or 15 minutes. Check your lint trap often.

I hope this helps make your blanket perfect! Thanks for your question!

Whitney

3. Hannah says:

Hello Whitney! I am almost done with this blanket and am wondering what the best method to weave in the ends would be. Between the bulky yarn and the loose knit (I do have the correct gauge) I just don't know how to make the ends secure, at least not in the places where the loose ends are in the middle of a row. Any tips would be appreciated, thank you!

HI Hannah,

Seed stitch is always tricky when it comes to weaving in the ends! I'd recommend trying to weave in the ends on the diagonal, going under purl bumps when you can. It may take a little experimenting!

Thanks for asking and I hope you find a way to finish your blanket that's perfectly satisfying!

Whitney

5. Kendal says:

Hello. I am making this as a crib blanket for my son.. I am so excited but I cant figure out how many stitches to cast-on if I want the blanket to end up around 33" wide. Please help.
    -KJ

HI Kendal,

Since the Attached I-cord adds about 3 inches to the finished width, you should cast on 35 stitches for a 30-inch wide rectangle (4 / 3.5 [gauge per 4 inches] = 1.14 [stitches per inch] x 30 = 34 + 1 [for an odd number] = 35).

Please let us know if you have any more questions and thanks for this one!

Whitney

7. chT says:

trop beau
    je suiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis nulle en traduction, help!!!!
    grand merci

8. Janice says:

I purchased Spud and Chloe yarn for this project. I am using it as a single thread. Also using a size 15 needle. I started to knit but found that I need additional stitches to make up the 42" wide. I want the blanket this size and am going to crochet around with a thick border. How many stitches should I cast on?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Janice-

You'll need to knit a swatch in pattern to find out how many stitches you're getting per inch. From there we can help you figure out how many to cast on.

10. knit1012 says:

Love this chunky blanket. Making two for my daughters fill-size beds for christmas. How many stitches should I cast on for a full size blanket?

Hi knit1012,

You should determine the width of the blanket you'd like to make and multiply that by the number of stitches you get per inch. For example, the gauge for this pattern is 3 1/2 stitches per 4 inches, which per 1 inch is 7/8 of a stitch (or 0.875). So, if you want to make a 60-inch wide blanket (for example), you'd cast on 60 x 0.875 = 52.5 Choose the closest odd number to cast on (53).

Please let us know if you have any other questions and thanks for this one. What lucky daughters!

Whitney

12. Hannah says:

Hi Whitney, I also had issues with the Magnum shedding so much that I didn't want to use the blanket so I thought I would share my solution. I put it in the dryer on Delicate for 60 minutes, checking on it every 10 (every dryer is different, so check check check!). This effectively felted the flyaways without felting the whole blanket. I then used a rubber pet hair brush (sold in pet stores for removing hair from furniture) to brush away all the extra loose fuzz (there was a lot). It made a huge difference, and I'm sure as it slightly felts with use it will get even better. I can finally use my beautiful, warm blanket this winter! I'm ecstatic, it was a joy to make and will be a joy to use. Thank you for all your lovely patterns!

13. Susan says:

This is a wonderful pattern and is coming along really well. A question concerning the Cascade Magnum, which I love! As I am knitting, the yarn is "shedding". Is this the norm ,and if so is, there a "cure" for this?
    Thank you. Susan

Hi Susan,

The Cascade Magnum is spun quite loosely so it does tend to shed a bit at first. Hand washing the finished blanket will help, as will time.

And please read Hannah's very helpful response before mine. She offers some great advice. Thanks, Hannah!

I hope you enjoy your blanket! Please let us know if you have any more questions and thanks for this one!

Whitney

15. Helena says:

Hello,
    I have recently discovered this incredible site so first of all I just want to say how much I love all your patterns and how excited I am by your range projects and yarn! I've been thoroughly over excited these last few days trying to decide on a project and which yarns to use.
    I only have size us 50 circular needles and although I could buy some 36 size for this project I am rather attached to my 50s partly because of there speed. I have knitted with this thickness of wool on them before and like the effect, but I was wondering whether using bigger needles would effect the size of the finished blanket and how much wool I would need to use? Also would it be possible to do stripes by having each if the 7 skeins in different colours? Sorry about all the questions I'm new to knitting blankets!
    Thanks
    Helena

Hi Helena,

Using size 50 needles will most likely result in a bigger blanket (unless you're a very tight knitter), which also means you may need an extra skein or two of yarn.

Stripes sounds beautiful, but keep in mind that, in seed stitch, half the stitches will look "inside out" at the color transition (do an image search of "seed stitch stripes" to see what I'm talking about).

Thanks so much for your questions. Please let us know if you have more and welcome to the Purl Bee!

Whitney

17. Claudia Judelman says:

Hi Purl Bee (Molly)

I've already made this blanket – and wanted to try a different bulky yarn. Would your own, Purl Soho super soft bulky merino work? I found the Cascade to be a bit scratchy. the recipient of this next blanket is very sensitive to the softness of the yarn! (who isn't?)

Hi Claudia-

The Super Soft Merino is a bit thinner than the Magnum but it would still make a lovely blanket and be very quick to knit. I would do a gauge swatch with the Super Soft Merino. You might end up liking the looser fabric you get from doubling it and knitting it on size 36 needles.But if it's a bit too loose for your taste you can move down in needle size and just cast on more stitches.

Thanks for your question!

19. Sally says:

Hi Whitney,

I am just about to put in my order for yarn for this project but had a quick question. Usually on blankets I slip the first stitch (purlwise) to get a nice edge, but I am guessing with the icord edging you wouldn't want to do this as you'd have less stitches on the edge. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Sally,

Yes, I agree that slipping the first stitch would complicate how you pick up stitches for the Attached I-cord. It would also be unnecessary since you won't in the end see the original selvedge!

Thanks for the great question and I hope you enjoy knitting your Eleventh Hour Blanket!

Whitney

21. holly says:

Hi there,

I love the look of this blanket! I was wondering if you are able to convert the pattern so it's suitable for a rectangle knitting loom? I'm new to this all so have just been watching video tutorials as I don't understand the 'language'.

Kind Regards,
    Holly

Hi Holly-

We don't have any experience with knitting looms so unfortunately we offer much advice about that.

This particular pattern isn't the best project to start with for a beginning knitter. Instead we would recommend our Learn to Knit Kit: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/8946-Purl-Soho-Learn-to-Knit

Thanks for getting in touch!

23. Abi says:

So I am a very new beginner to knitting. This was actually the third knitting project ever. The seed stitch is a simple stitch to learn and the doubling of the yarn made knitting the entire blanket take a relatively short amount of time. I loved the chunkiness but I ended up making the blanket smaller than the dimensions on here. The edging was more difficult to understand but it was 100% worth it! It sets the blanket off so well. I ended up making a solid blue color with white edging as a wedding present for my sister-in-law. Though I didn't buy the yarn here I still spent 70 bucks at Michaels. I love this blanket and I would do it over and over again if I could afford all that yarn. Also, I saved money by making my own circular knitting needles

24. Jennifer says:

I did this project in half-double crochet stitch with a single stitch border and it came out great! I used the instructions to know how much yarn to buy and for the dimensions of the blanket. I doubled the yarn for the body as in the instructions. It is a popular blanket in our house. I may need to do another!

25. Vicky says:

Video tutorial please!!

26. Ash says:

Just finished up my newborn sons blanket! Couldn’t be happier! I’ve ready started the edging for my first sons blanket, larger and in a different color than his brothers. :)