Molly’s Sketchbook: Felt Baby Shoes

I think it’s lovely to welcome a little one into the world surrounded by thoughtful handmade gifts, and these itty-bitty boots are just the ticket for such a reception. Brimming over with the “awww” factor, everyone who sees these Felt Baby Shoes wants to pick them up and coo, almost as if they contained a chubby little baby foot already!

Sometimes when I get on a roll with a fun and easy project like this, it’s hard to stop. In this case, I ended up with a pile of eight pairs of shoes, all from one Purl Soho Wool Felt Bundle! Our gorgeous Autumn Bundle covers a beautiful spectrum of warm earth tones, just right for boys or girls. And a bright red, hand-embroidered edge finishes the color story with a zing, while adding a sweet handmade, rustic charm.

I love the idea of sewing up a big bunch of booties to have on hand for baby showers and welcome-to-the-world gifts. A pair would also look so cute peeking out of a baby’s Christmas stocking!

To make eight pairs of 3 month sized baby shoes:

Note: The template for this pattern is for a 3 month size, which is 4-inches long. If you'd like to blow up the pattern for a different size you might find this chart helpful.

Cutting and Pinning

Cut the templates from one of the felt pieces. Using the erasable fabric marker mark the felt corresponding to dashes and Xs on the template. You don't need to make the full X markings, just mark a dot corresponding to the center of each X.

Cut two 1-inch lengths from the elastic.

Pin one sole piece and one upper piece together at their back center marked dashes.

Arrange the sole so it's laying flat. Wrap the right side of the upper piece across the front so that the front curves of both pieces match up.

Then wrap the left side across the sole and match up its curve with the sole's front curve. Pin the three layers (the sole, the left right side, and the left side) together at the front of the sole.

For the opposite shoe wrap the left side first, and then the right and pin them together in the same manner.

Pin the upper section all the way around the perimeter of the sole, keeping the sole flat, on both of the shoes.

Sewing

Arrange one of the shoes so it's facing forward. Thread a hand sewing need with a 46-inch length of the pearl cotton. Do not tie a knot in the thread. Pull the needle from the sole section through to the upper section at the back marking dash, 1/4-inch from the edge, leaving a 4-inch tail. Lay the tail over the working thread and arrange the working thread to point towards the right

Take a stitch, 1/4-inch from the edge and 1/4-inch to the right of the previous stitch, entering from the upper piece. Pull the needle out through the sole keeping the needle on top of the thread coming from the previous stitch, as shown above. This is a buttonhole stitch.

Use this buttonhole stitch to sew around the entire perimeter of the shoe, making sure to sew through all three layers at the toe section.

When you get all the way around to where you started tie a knot with your tail and working yarn.

Pull the working yarn through the seam for a few inches.

Snip off the thread right at its exit point to make it disappear.

Thread the needle with the tail and repeat the same process to hide it.

Here is the first shoe, all stitched up.

Repeat all of these steps for the second shoe.

Adding the Elastic

On the first shoe, sew the left side of one of the elastic pieces to the left hand dot marked on the upper section with a doubled cross stitch.

Tuck the right hand side of the elastic inside the shoe and stitch it to the marked right hand dot with a double cross stitch. You might have to pull the left and right sides apart a bit in order to do this. This will help the shoe to stand up.

Attach the elastic to the second shoe in the same manner, only this time sew it the the right side first and then to the left side.

You're all done!

82 Responses to Molly’s Sketchbook: Felt Baby Shoes

1. Melissa says:

Super cute! I'm going to give these a try!

2. shelly says:

LOVE these!

3. Christine says:

These are super cute! My husband's first question was, can you make me some of these? Our house is super cold; is there a converter for adult sizes?

4. noz! says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial – I have to make these little shoes for the little daughter of my neighbors!

5. tartine says:

thanks alot, it is a great idea, i will try to make some this afternoon, maybe an idea for my niece who's gonna have her first baby at the end of this month….
    tartine

6. Madeline says:

These are gorgeous, such a simple but beautiful shape.

7. Sarah says:

What a lovely idea! I'm expecting a baby in February so I will be making a few pairs of these in different colours!

Just one question, what weight/thickness is the felt you used?

Hi Sarah-

The felt I used is 1mm thick. We also have it available by the piece here: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/6409-Wollfilz-1-mm-precut-Wool-Felt

Thanks for your question!

9. Febi says:

while i was searching for something creative to be made out odf stitching i just saw this site & immediately i made the shoes within an hour with one of my husbands old socks….

10. Carol says:

Love, love, love these! I'm making some for my newest neice and nephew and since my family is 2000 miles away I want to put pictures of them on my blog. I don't knwo the rules! Is it ok as long as I link back to you as the designer of these cute little things?

11. Michelle says:

Hi,

I wanted to whip up a pair of these, as I am presently making baby shower things, and I couldn't download the template for some reason. I clicked on the link, and got an empty dark screen. Can you tell me why that is?

Thanks – greatly appreciate it,

Michelle

12. Issy gardiner says:

Yep I second that-my 31yr old footsies are crying out for a pair of these;))))
    Soooooooooo kind of you to share your wonderful ideas♥
    Best wishes

Hi Michelle-

The template seems to be working fine on our end. Perhaps you could try downloading it from a different web browser. Just in case it still doesn't work for you I am going to to ahead and email it to you now. So look out for an email from Molly AT purlsoho.

Thanks for your question- Molly

14. Jennifer says:

What are washing instructions for the wool felt? Should I wash before making? Thank you

Hi Jennifer-

Wool felt is handwash only and you don't need to wash it before you sew with it.

Thanks for your question!

16. Jennifer says:

17. Darlene says:

These slippers are so cute. Thanks so much for sharing.

18. Rebecca says:

Thanks Purlbee – you're so clever to come up with these wonderful shoes and incredibly generous to post a tutorial! Rx

19. Irina says:

These are so cute and so fast to make! thanks for sharing the tutorial, I made a pair for a friend's baby and I'll be making some more for my own little one when he arrives.

20. Kisha says:

How ingenious! I I've the simple elegance of the design.

21. Donna says:

Soooo adorable and completely addicting…making some for the local NICU unit as going home gifts. Made 3 pairs in about 2 hours.

22. noodle says:

Thank you for the lovely pattern… so simple, yet so striking.

23. Shelia says:

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.

24. angie says:

I absolutely love this. So clean and simple, yet so cute! I love that there are infinite possibilities for embellishments and personalization. Thank you for this pattern!

25. Biscuie says:

Tes chaussons sont magnifiques, je vais essayer de les faire, merci pour ton tutoriel !

26. ANILEGRA says:

me ha encantado ,con tu permiso pondrre una foto y un enlace a mi blog

Hi Anilegra-

You can post a photo on your blog as long as it links directly back to us for the journal and instructions.

Gracias por tu comentario!

28. nuray says:

so cute :)

29. meral says:

çok güzel olmuş. beğendim. süper

30. maggie says:

these are adorable – and perfect for some fun embellishing!

31. waspcracker says:

Please post a photo of these on living, chubby baby feet. Also, how well do they stay on? Does chubby baby easily kick them off? Always a concern. Thanks!

32. Keira says:

So simple, sooo beautiful–little works of art for little works of art–love them!

33. Lisa says:

No babies to sew for but I do believe I am looking at next years christmas wreath!

34. Mickey says:

So sweet! I just ordered a felt bundle and some pearl cotton, and can't wait to practice my button hole stitch.

35. Mickey says:

I almost decided to use cheap-o felt from the local craft store, and I am so glad I ordered the Wollfilz from Purl. It is stable and breathes nicely, and held the shape as I attached the elastic. The boots stand up in a way I don't think the acrylic would (at least not the acrylic I can buy in my local craft stores). I used a summer bouquet felt bundle, and two balls of pearl cotton (orange and green). With careful cutting, the felt bundle yields 12 pairs of shoes (8 in solid color, and 4 with contrasting soles and tops). With March 2012 prices and domestic standard shipping, this works out to about $3.67/pair ($2.96, if I had already owned a fabric pen and used only 1 color of pearl cotton), which is a really good deal for a classy, cozy baby shower gift.

The only additional tool I wish I had on hand is a needle-threader or a sharp needle with a slightly larger eye. Threading the pearl cotton through they eye on a regular sewing needle is the only part of the project I'm not enjoying 100%. Does Purl recommend a particular type of needle for a project like this?

Thanks for such a satisfying project!

Hi Mickey,
    Thanks so much for you comments. We think the wollfilz is really wonderful to work with which is why we recommend it for everything felt!

For embroidery we recommend the Clover Gold Eye Embroidery Needles, the pack comes with several sizes that are large enough for the pearl cotton to easily fit through and the points are perfectly sharp. You can find them at this link:

Enjoy!

37. cindy says:

HI
    LOVE LOVE these, and don't look hard. But how do you convert to a bigger size. I went to the chart but that doesnt mean anything to me. I have a 5 month old granddaugther and would love to make them. Also if you found some slip proof material to put on soles be great for older grandson age 2.
    thanks for help figuring size. guess can just take pattern and go put against their foot and draw….

Hi Cindy-

To convert to a larger size you'll need to blow up the pattern on a copy machine or with your printer. If you're trying to make the shoes double the size for instance, you'll want to blow it up 200%.Then you can just follow the instructions as written.

Thank you for your question!

39. DM says:

Thank you for this nice tutorial !! I have just tried it and put photos on my blog …

40. Pvc fabric says:

So cute and look so easy. I'm making these for my grandson asap.

41. Donne Venezia says:

Great article…thanks for sharing!

42. Ulrika says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I made a pair for my brand new nephew, and the shoes were so cute on him. A little big perhaps, but he is only three weeks old and tiny – he'll grow into them fast.

I used the Wollfilz felt in the color Cerulean, and brown cotton thread. It turned out really cute, I posted some pictures (and credited and linked back to you!) on my blog: http://createohlala.blogspot.se/2012/05/felt-baby-shoes-bebisskor-i-filt.html

43. Sarah says:

Hi there from France !
    Thank you so much for this brilliant tutorial ! As I have several friends who are going to have a baby in the next monthes (even days for some twins !), I made 6 pairs of them, everyone loved them !!!!
    Here's a picture of my “slippers' council” http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/11/04/99/27/img_1715.jpg
    I didn't even know how to sew and with your explanations I really enjoyed doing it !!!!
    Thank you PURLBEE for your wonderful blog !

44. KnutzEls says:

As soon as I saw these cute little shoes, I fell in love with them. Luckily one of my friends got a newborn grandchild, so I could make them.

45. aggie says:

just found your tutorial! these are sooo cute and easy to make! looking for insporational gifts for christmas for my newborn niece and these would be perfect!! thanks so much for sharing! xx

46. lala says:

I also could not get he template and really want to make these for gifts! They are wonderful!

47. soso la vahine says:

ils sont trop mignons ces chaussons. bravo et merci pour le tuto.

48. Donne Roma says:

Love your article…very creative!

49. خياطة وتفصيل says:

very nice thank you so much ^^

50. dorria says:

A very MAGNIFICENCE Shoes are made of simple things.