Molly’s Sketchbook: Felt Baby Shoes

I think it’s lovely to welcome a little one into the world surrounded by thoughtful handmade gifts, and these itty-bitty boots are just the ticket for such a reception. Brimming over with the “awww” factor, everyone who sees these Felt Baby Shoes wants to pick them up and coo, almost as if they contained a chubby little baby foot already!

Sometimes when I get on a roll with a fun and easy project like this, it’s hard to stop. In this case, I ended up with a pile of eight pairs of shoes, all from one Purl Soho Wool Felt Bundle! Our gorgeous Autumn Bundle covers a beautiful spectrum of warm earth tones, just right for boys or girls. And a bright red, hand-embroidered edge finishes the color story with a zing, while adding a sweet handmade, rustic charm.

I love the idea of sewing up a big bunch of booties to have on hand for baby showers and welcome-to-the-world gifts. A pair would also look so cute peeking out of a baby’s Christmas stocking!

To make eight pairs of 3 month sized baby shoes:

Note: The template for this pattern is for a 3 month size, which is 4-inches long. If you'd like to blow up the pattern for a different size you might find this chart helpful.

Cutting and Pinning

Cut the templates from one of the felt pieces. Using the erasable fabric marker mark the felt corresponding to dashes and Xs on the template. You don't need to make the full X markings, just mark a dot corresponding to the center of each X.

Cut two 1-inch lengths from the elastic.

Pin one sole piece and one upper piece together at their back center marked dashes.

Arrange the sole so it's laying flat. Wrap the right side of the upper piece across the front so that the front curves of both pieces match up.

Then wrap the left side across the sole and match up its curve with the sole's front curve. Pin the three layers (the sole, the left right side, and the left side) together at the front of the sole.

For the opposite shoe wrap the left side first, and then the right and pin them together in the same manner.

Pin the upper section all the way around the perimeter of the sole, keeping the sole flat, on both of the shoes.

Sewing

Arrange one of the shoes so it's facing forward. Thread a hand sewing need with a 46-inch length of the pearl cotton. Do not tie a knot in the thread. Pull the needle from the sole section through to the upper section at the back marking dash, 1/4-inch from the edge, leaving a 4-inch tail. Lay the tail over the working thread and arrange the working thread to point towards the right

Take a stitch, 1/4-inch from the edge and 1/4-inch to the right of the previous stitch, entering from the upper piece. Pull the needle out through the sole keeping the needle on top of the thread coming from the previous stitch, as shown above. This is a buttonhole stitch.

Use this buttonhole stitch to sew around the entire perimeter of the shoe, making sure to sew through all three layers at the toe section.

When you get all the way around to where you started tie a knot with your tail and working yarn.

Pull the working yarn through the seam for a few inches.

Snip off the thread right at its exit point to make it disappear.

Thread the needle with the tail and repeat the same process to hide it.

Here is the first shoe, all stitched up.

Repeat all of these steps for the second shoe.

Adding the Elastic

On the first shoe, sew the left side of one of the elastic pieces to the left hand dot marked on the upper section with a doubled cross stitch.

Tuck the right hand side of the elastic inside the shoe and stitch it to the marked right hand dot with a double cross stitch. You might have to pull the left and right sides apart a bit in order to do this. This will help the shoe to stand up.

Attach the elastic to the second shoe in the same manner, only this time sew it the the right side first and then to the left side.

You're all done!

82 Responses to Molly’s Sketchbook: Felt Baby Shoes

1. Rowena says:

Mine are not NEARLY as perfectly neat but thank you so much for this pattern, they're so sweet and I can't wait to give them to a mother-to-be I know as a present! I opted for mint green:

They look pretty dang perfect Rowena! Thanks for sharing!

3. Sarah says:

Hi,

I have a French blog and just presented your DIY. I made a link to your blog is that's ok!
    My friends were AMAZED by the results I gave them. They think I'm crafty now… mission accomplished!

4. Hafsa says:

Hi,

I was wondering if I could make theses in a different type of fabric other than felt? I made a couple out of felt and absolutely love it and am looking to try different fabrics. Thanks and love this idea! Amazing!

Hafsa

Hi Hafsa-

Thank you so much for the kind words about this pattern. These won't work with most woven fabric because the fabric would fray. The only other material we carry that would work would be Mary Flanagan Felted Wool which would make a very cozy pair of shoes: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/6420-Mary-Flanagan-Felted-Wool

6. pat says:

Hi,
    I feel in love with your booties. They are simply simple and cute, perfect for tiny little baby feet. If you don't mind I'm going to post a link to you tutorial on http://coisaspequenas.wordpress.com/.

Thanks soooo much for sharing this project and the tutorial too!
    All the best!

Hi Pat-

We don't mind as long as you link back to us for the instructions. I checked out your blog and what you posted looks just fine. Thanks so much for your kind words about this pattern!

Best-

8. Jackie says:

I was wondering if you could tell me what i'm doing wrong. I made some darling slippers in assorted colors. I even made some that I garnished up for little girls with ribbons and bows. they turned out darling however, when I went to put them on my grandchild of 5 weeks, it seems that her heel was always riding up and out of them. Am I doing something wrong?? They look identical to your pattern.? please help.

\

Hi Jackie-

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong! It sounds like maybe they just don't fit yet. My daughter wore these when she was 3 months old (and she had pretty big feet!)

If you don't think that is the issue you might want to add some elastic to the top of the back edge just above the heel. You could sew it on just like you did for the front elastic, with two little "x"s. That might cinch the top of the shoe and keep it from falling off.

Also I think they work best when the baby has socks on, plus that way the wool felt won't be itchy.

Hope this helps!

10. Slamwato says:

Thank you for this delightful pattern. I am always so inspired by your creations. Beautiful work. Bless you for sharing.

11. Nurul Rais says:

Hi there!

Thank you so much for the lovely tutorial. To be honest I have never done sewing in my whole life but you make it look so easy. It inspired me so much to create the booties for my coming soon baby.

You mentioned that the size you gave is only for a 3 month old baby. But based on the baby foot chart it shows size up to 35 months.. Is it because this material is just enough to make up for a 3 months old?

Thanks. ;)

Hi Nurul-

The template provided with this pattern in for a 3 month size. The chart is just a guide in case you want to blow up the template yourself, which would take some trial and error. There is enough felt in a bundle to make larger sizes.

13. liansilje says:

amazing! really cute ones! :)

14. Sanja says:

gorgeous :)

15. Vanessa says:

Hi Molly,
    Your pattern is beautiful in its simplicity.
    I am wondering if one can sell the product made from your pattern?
    If so could you email me your criteria for the same.
    Thanking you,
    Vanessa.

Hi Vanessa-

Thank you for the nice words about the pattern. All of our patterns are for home use only and cannot be made for sale. Thanks for checking in though!

Best-

17. Karen says:

All done with the primary color wool felt packet; a joy to handle and work with; they are in the mail to our family's new addition, Isla Charlotte, born two weeks ago!
    Would love to send you a pic if you want.

Hi Karen-

We would love to see a pic! You can post it on our Facebook page or send it directly to me: Molly AT purlsoho DOT com.

Congrats on the new addition!

19. Steph says:

I am in the midst of making these! I am going to pick up some elastic from my mom tonight to finish them. I should have clicked on the pearl cotton link! I am a very inexperienced sewer, and thought pearl was the brand name…I bought poly top stitching thread bc it looked the thickest. It still looks nice, but I think I will see about finding some proper embroidery thread for the next pair. I picked a nice dark grey wool and yellow thread.

These are so easy, even for a beginner. I think I messed up my blanket stitch on the first pair, but it will go better next time!

20. alice Kimberlin says:

Is it ok to make these shoes and sale them at a craft sale?

Hi Alice-

This pattern is for home use only and cannot be made for sale, but thank you so much for asking!

22. lauriane says:

waouhhhhhhhh thanks !!! it's very graet !!!!!!! i love it ;) thnks

23. Cesca says:

Fabulous directions with thoughtful details like how long to cut the embroidery thread. Thank you!

24. Karen says:

Just made my first pair – I used square craft felt ($ .35) and 6 strand embroidery floss that I had on hand. Also put a tiny embroidered flower on the toe. Turned out great but my grand-daughter has a long foot so will add a bit to the next pair. I got enough felt for 8 pairs in different colors. Great idea Purlbee!

25. Cheyne says:

Hello, these are the cutest things ever. Thank you so much for sharing. I am a spinner and often have bits of fleece I don't use………….the imagination has just kicked in to make my own felt.

Thanks again :)

26. eDee says:

Please tell me there is an adult version of this pattern – I want a pair!

27. Angela says:

Thank you, Molly!! I've just made my first pair – from a jumper that I felted by washing on a too-hot setting. They've cost me precisely nothing but my time and I'm so, so pleased with the way they turned out. I think the mum-to-be I have them in mind for is going to be thrilled. Your tutorial was so easy to follow (I never can remember how to do the buttonhole/blanket stitching without seeing a demo!).

28. Hecate says:

Beautiful, thanks for sharing!

29. patchcath says:

Merci pour ces explications claires et très colorées
    et pour ce tableau de “footsizes”

30. Lindsay says:

I LOVE these booties and made a whole bunch for some babes in my life (I added non slip fabric on the bottoms to stiffen them up) but I was wondering if you’ve ever tried making an adult size? Thanks!

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Lindsay-

Thanks! I haven’t tried sizing these up for adults but if you do I’d love to see pictures!

Thanks again for getting in touch!

31. Gloria says:

My 10 year old granddaughter just made two pairs for our friends new baby. They are soooooooooo beautiful. Thank you