Flannel Receiving Blankets

I'm starting to think that there is something in the water. Friends, left and right, are turning up pregnant. Thrilled with the good news, I've become a receivin'-blanket-makin' machine. No sooner am I done with one, then I am on to the next. With each blanket I find myself guessing baby names, picturing my friends in the role of 'Mom' and imagining the nervous excitement of the dads-to-be.

I am so happy sitting with this super soft flannel draped in my lap, hypnotized by the rhythm of crochet and the feeling of merino wool as it winds through my fingers. The soft touch of these remarkable materials soothes me in the same way I know it will the new babes!

While it is a pleasure to make these Receiving Blankets, it is an even greater joy to think of them in use. The foggy, warm stripes of Ecrulet's Flannel and the crisp, rich colors of Koigu's merino combine in such pretty harmony, that I can’t wait to see my friends’ littles bundles all wrapped up inside!

Congrats to all those expecting! --Laura

PS: Check out Molly's Lap Duvets for more ideas on how to use Ecrulet’s magnificent Flannel Stripes!

To make one 41-inch by 41-inch blanket:

Cut and Wind

Cut the fabric into a 42-inch by 42-inch square.

Wind the yarn into a ball. Place it to the side for now.

Pin and Sew

Fold and press each edge of the fabric 1/4-inch toward the wrong side. Fold and press each edge 1/4-inch toward the wrong side once more. Pin the folds in place and machine sew down with an edgestitch.

Crochet the Edge

Orient the fabric so the front is facing you and the stripes are vertical.

Begin approximately 1 inch from a corner. Insert hook just below the hemmed edge, into the middle of a stripe. Pull a loop through. Grab the yarn from the back and pull it through the loop you just made.

Insert hook back through the same hole, and make a single crochet along the edge of the fabric.

*Chain one.

Insert hook into the next stripe, and make a single crochet.

Insert hook back through the same hole, and make a single crochet

Insert hook through the same hole, for a third time. Make a single crochet.

Repeat from * until you reach the corner.

Turn the Corner

After you've made a cluster of single crochets right before  the corner, chain 3 (rather than 1). For the next stitch (the first of the new side), insert the hook into the last hold you made, as pictured above.

Now that you have turned the corner, you no longer has stripes to guide your placement. You can mark the fabric every 1/4 to 5/8-inch using a Chaco Marker if you would like a guide or you can just eye-ball it.

Continue around the 2nd, 3rd and 4th edge of the blanket, turn the 4th corner and work up to the stripe where you first began.

Connect at the End

Chain one.

Insert hook into the first stripe, where you began, and make a single crochet.

Cut yarn and pull through. Using a tapestry needle, weave in your ends.

You have done it!

Now you can do it again to make a pair!!!

63 Responses to Flannel Receiving Blankets

1. Robin says:

I love this design but I am using fleece with a super bulky yarn. Any suggestions for this or do you have another pattern you would recommend? I am making this for a baby blanket and wanted the edging to be a little more fluffy……thus the bulky yarn. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Hi Robin.
    What are you looking for suggestions on specifically? Yarn? I would try and keep it something that is machine washable. You could use the same yarn I did (Koigu's KPM) but double it. Or you could look at using Anzula's For Better or Worsted (http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/7913-Anzula-For-Better-or-Worsted), a worsted weight machine washable. Or Spud and Chloe's Sweater (http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/5886-Spud-Chloe-Sweater), a cotton / wool blend. Or you could do a cotton yarn like Blue Sky's Worsted Cotton (http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/721-Blue-Sky-Worsted-Cotton).

As for the hook size… that will involve some trial and error to find the smallest size hook that will still accommodate the yarn, making the least noticeable puncture point.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
    Laura

3. B. Dale says:

Hi! This is lovely! It looks like the stripe print on the flannel is on both sides of the fabric – is that true? Where do I find similar flannel? Thanks for sharing such a great idea. I'm making one for my new baby niece who is due in August.

Hi B. Dale-

You're right that the stripes on this fabric are woven in so you can see them on both sides. Unfortunately we are sold of of this fabric and aren't expecting to get any more in. You can see our other flannels here: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/12-sewing-patchwork-fabric?filters=518

Sorry we can't be of more help! Good luck with the project!

5. Jane says:

I love making these! And the babies seem to love them too. I'm on my third blanket and have plans for a fourth.

I, too, spent quite some time searching for a flannel stripe fabric (with Purl sold out). I finally found a nice flannel sheet in ticking stripe. A queen size yields 4 blankets. It's fun choosing just the right shade of Koigu for the recipient.

Thanks for the great pattern!

6. Lynne says:

I have used crochet as an edging on other fabrics by hand sewing blanket stitch along the edge first and then crocheting into this. Particularly good on non fraying material such as fleece. Can make a very simple scarf with crocheted ends in no time at all. Thanks for all the great patterns.

7. JB says:

Beautiful, the perfect project for donating . I do a lot of items for preemies and older children, hospitals and seniors.

Your blanket will be a big hit! Thank you

8. Loretta says:

People should know that you are not supposed to bleach wool, so you may want to
    use cotton instead.

9. Nilda Souza says:

Amei a dica e tutorial. Obrigada pela gentileza!

10. lita french says:

I'm retired and want to make these for the hospitals. They are beautiful, I only hope mine turn out as well as yours!

11. Helen says:

They look lovely. You could also sew 2 layers of flannel rights sides together and round the corners off leaving a space for turning right side out before crocheting the edge. Would be extra warm for winter then.

12. Ellie says:

I’m sorry, but I am having the hardest time with this project. I am new to crocheting and this tutorial just isn’t happening. I’ve also looked at the other tutorials on your site, but I can’t seem to get the hang of it because there is not enough detail. For example, in the first step, when you say “pull a loop through,” do you mean a slip knot? If so, what do you do with the tail at the end? How do I “insert the hook back through the same hole”? The same hole in the fabric? Or in the yarn?

Is there anyone out there who can help with more detail?

• Laura from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Ellie.
      I’d love to try and help you on this.

You begin by puncturing the fabric with your crochet hook, pushing the needle through the fabric from the front to the back. You use the hook to grab the working yarn and you pull it through the hole in the punctured fabric. With your left hand, you tack down the tail of the yarn so it does not slip through the punctured fabric. At this point there is one loop of yarn on your crochet hook.

Then, grab the working yarn and pull it through the loop on your needle.

Then, insert your crochet hook back through the same hole in the punctured fabric and bring the working yarn through the hole. You now have two loops on your crochet hook. At this point make a single crochet along the edge of the fabric.(Here is a link to our Crochet Basics tutorial which includes a single crochet tutorial: http://www.purlbee.com/2007/04/12/crochet-basics/ )

Then you chain one. That chain one will be the beginning of the repeat.

Please let me know if this helps clarify things at all or if you have any questions!
      Thanks,