Mother’s Day Washcloths

Not much is humbler than a washcloth. A small square of fabric drenched, soaped and wrung, it may not be glamorous, but a washcloth is one of the day's small pleasures. And when that washcloth is handmade, it is also one of life's pleasures!

Moms are notably deserving of such things. And so with their special day around the bend, I crocheted up this pretty set of Mother's Day Washcloths. Blue Sky's 100% organic Skinny Cotton combines with Habu's very distinctive Natural Cover Cotton for a vintage look with a modern edge.

Paired with beautiful soaps, your mom will really feel your love this Mother's Day... and every day!

The Materials

For all three washcloths:

• 3 skeins of Blue Sky's Skinny Cotton, 100% organic cotton. This color is Organic Birch.

The Pattern

5 1/3 single crochets = 1 inch with the Skinny Cotton

Finished Size

9 inches square

Washcloth #1

With the Main Color (MC), chain 49.

Starting with the 2nd chain from the hook, make 1 single crochet (sc) into each chain. (48 sc)

*Turn the work towards you and make 1 sc into each stitch. (48 sc)

Repeat from * until piece measures 6 1/4 inches from the beginning. Cut the yarn.

With the Contrast Color (CC), work 2 rows of single crochets. Cut the yarn.

With MC, work 2 rows of single crochets. Cut the yarn.

With CC, work 4 rows of single crochets. Cut the yarn.

With MC, work rows of single crochet until piece measures 9 inches from beginning (or until the piece is square). Cut the yarn and pull it through the last stitch.

Weave in your tails and block if you'd like!

Washcloth #2

With the Contrast Color (CC), chain 49.

Turn the work towards you and make 1 sc into each stitch. (48 sc)

Repeat the last row. Cut the yarn.

With Main Color (MC), work rows of single crochet until piece measures 8 1/2 inches from beginning (or until 1/2 inch shorter than the overall width of the washcloth). Cut the yarn.

With CC, work 2 rows of single crochet. Cut the yarn and pull it through the last stitch.

Weave in your tails and block.

Washcloth #3

With the Main Color (MC), chain 49.

*Turn the work towards you and make 1 sc into each stitch. (48 sc)

Repeat from * until piece measures 3 1/2 inches from the beginning. Cut the yarn.

With the Contrast Color (CC), work rows of single crochets for 2 inches (or until halfway through the CC is half the overall width of the washcloth). Cut the yarn.

With MC, work rows of single crochet for 3 1/2 inches. Cut the yarn and pull it through the last stitch.

Weave in your tails and block!

17 Responses to Mother’s Day Washcloths

1. Tammy says:

I'm a beginner at crocheting and am making washcloths to give as presents. Thank you for posting these Whitney. I will definitely be adding these patterns to my to-make list! I also love the vintage look. For those who would like to learn to crochet, try using You-Tube video tutorials. There are some really great ones that make it very easy to learn, which is also how I am learning.

2. Kristina says:

I do like this and have made other crocheted washcloths. Please explain the benefits of not doing one chain before turning after each row of single crochet. Thanks.

HI Kristina,

I have, in the past, made a chain at the end of single crochet rows, but I have since learned that it's not totally necessary because the single crochet row is so short. I don't see that it looks any worse, and it is easier. So, for single crochet fabrics, I'm forsaking the chain these days. If you're more comfortable with the end-of-the-row chain, that's fine too!

Thanks for your question!
    Whitney

4. Michelle says:

I gave this very gift this past Christmas to the special ladies on my list! I absolutely *LOVE* handmade washcloths! Thanks for reminding me to get busy on some more! =)

5. Tammy says:

Whitney,

I'd prefer to knit. Can you tell me in your opinion what knitted stitch most resembles a single crochet? Would you do moss stitch to get this same look? Thank you!

Hi Tammy,

I agree that moss stitch would be a good choice! We actually have a moss stitch washcloth on the Bee called the Wedding Washcloth. It's right here: http://www.purlbee.com/wedding-washcloths/ . And if you're really in the mood to knit some washcloths we also have a pattern for Log Cabin Washcloths here: http://www.purlbee.com/log-cabin-washcloths/

Have fun!
    Whitney

7. Michelle says:

Hi – I've never crocheted. Is this a pattern I can easily learn? (I'm a knitter:-))

Hi Michelle. This is a great first crochet project! I am not sure if you already have a book you love, but people tend to find TNNA's How to Crochet quite helpful when they are just getting going: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/213-TNNA-How-to-Crochet

Let us know how it goes! -Laura

9. Michelle says:

Hi Laura,

Thanks! I just ordered it.

Michelle

10. Lisa @ Organized Chaos says:

I found your blog though a search. I just learned to crochet this weekend and have the single stitch down really well. the edges of my projects are really messy, though, not sure how to fix that! I love your washcloths…and hopefully I can figure out the instructions! :) ~

Hi Lisa,

Keeping the edges neat is one of the hardest things for beginner crocheters to do! First, you want to turn your work consistently in a clockwise or counter clockwise direction. Also, make sure that you make the first single crochet of every row into the very first stitch (the one right next to your hook). Also, in the beginning, you may need to count your stitches a lot, verifying every row that you have the right number of stitches. It's a pain, but it will really help you learn the mechanics of crocheting!

I'm so glad you're enjoying your new craft! Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Whitney

12. gina norma says:

Hi there! I've been working on this wonderful dish cloth for a few days, and I just love the two different color idea, I am using white and a chocolate brown!

One thing I can't figure out is why chain 49 (so big) if the finished size is 9 inches, a perfect square? Am I missing something? My dish cloth is huge!

Hi Gina,

It should be that you're working 48 stitches and that your gauge is 5 1/3 stitches to the inch for a finished width of 9 inches (48 divided by 5.3 equals 9 inches).

It sounds like your gauge may be a bit looser, i.e. bigger. If that's the case then using a smaller crochet hook will solve the problem!

Please let us know if you have any other questions and thanks for this one!
    Whitney

14. fariba says:

Hi,thank you for this pattern ,I 'm going to make this for myself.

15. Zara says:

My first attempt at crochet and I'm making this washcloth.
    Thanks for the tutorial.

16. Penny says:

I have several friends having babies this Summer. I don't have the time to knit/crochet a blanket or afghan for each. Do you have washcloth patterns/suggestions for babies? Thank you.

HI Penny-

A washcloth is a wonderful idea for a baby gift! While we don't have any specifically for babies I think of our washcloth patterns would work well knit in a color that the parents would enjoy! You can see all of our knit washcloth patterns here by looking through our home gallery here: http://www.purlbee.com/home-projects-knitting/

And crocheted ones are here: http://www.purlbee.com/home-projects-knitting/

Thank you for this great question!