Mother’s Day Liberty Handkerchief Set

I love coming across a pretty stack of vintage printed hankies at a flea market, each one a perfect little bit of whimsy. I imagine the elegant “ladies who lunch” who might have tucked them into a sleeve. A set of floral handkerchiefs is so old fashioned and ladylike... in the best way! These days handkerchiefs aren’t in vogue, although I’m not sure why. They are endlessly useful and so cheerful and handsome.

For this Mother’s Day I'm doing my part to bring the handkerchief back. Using Page’s classic Father’s Day Rolled Hem Handkerchief pattern, I sewed a set of six sweet Liberty of London handkerchiefs perfect for mom. Tana Lawn is a total joy to sew and to use! It is silky soft, and the prints are so satisfyingly exquisite with charming details and beautiful colors. For our special Mother’s Day Fat Quarter bundle I picked out some of my favorite prints in soft pinks and greens, imagining a perfect Mother’s Day brunch, complete with pink lemonade and petits fours!

Even if your mom isn’t the formal type, this lovely set will make a great Mother's Day gift. It’s practical, pretty, and entirely handmade by you! If you’d like to make your own little stack, you can pick up our Liberty of London Mother’s Day Fat Quarter Bundle here and follow along with the Father’s Day Rolled Hem Handkerchief pattern here!

Happy Mother’s Day!-- Molly

ps- For more Liberty of London inspiration check out our Father's Day Liberty Handkerchief Set here!

15 Responses to Mother’s Day Liberty Handkerchief Set

1. Jenny says:

Oh my hat, I have to have some liberty too!
    Jenny

2. Ruth says:

I know it really dates me, but I remember when my (then) husband always used fabric handkerchiefs, a habit started as a child by his mother. He eventually switched to paper tissues but I am thinking that washable fabric is so much more eco-friendly that it ought to again become the norm. And these sweet prints are the perfect way to start, I might add!

3. cynthia says:

What a great idea ! Those cotton lawn prints are so beautiful! I love making little girl dresses out of cotton lawn.

4. Josie says:

I LOVE these and they are beautiful AND eco friendly…YAY! A very important thing in Berkeley!!!

5. Lauren says:

I love this idea too! I had some fabric left over from a top I made and I turned it into a handkerchief, a great way to wear your favourite liberty print!

6. Katie says:

Beautiful handkerchiefs! Absolutely love Liberty of London, it's definitely not just for little girls. These make beautiful napkins as well for a perfect spring picnic!

7. suni says:

these are gorgeous – what a great idea! i really love those liberty prints. tts also a great idea for fabrics leftover from dressmaking!

8. Ashley says:

These would also be great as scarves for little girls, tied around the neck bandana style. The size of these handkerchiefs is probably just right for that.

9. Ali says:

I have actually been working on a rolled hem men's pocket square and the edge seems wavy. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated

10. Ali says:

P.S. I just read Ruth's comment on 4-22. I am making this pocket square for my boyfriend who actually handed one to me when I was upset one day.
    So it is not a dated notion, Ruth, but timeless and sweet.

11. Love these projects. Definitely need to whip up some hankies.

FYI – A toilet paper cover is a relic from the days before YouTube, Twitter and Facebook when polite ladies pretended that they had no bodily functions (as opposed to parading them on social media). Pregnancy was "expecting." Anxiety disorders were "weak nerves." And an extra roll of toilet paper, handily set out for guests and family in need, was covered in a garish crocheted doll to pretend that it was merely a part of the decor instead of a necessity!

12. These are beautiful! I plan to make some for my Mom for Mothers's day, thank you for the lovely idea.

13. cheryl says:

I love this and will have to make some! I grew up loving hankies…my father & grandfather carried them and always wiped my childhood tears with them…or dabbed a skinned knee…and when my nose was funny there was a hankie waiting. In return I learner to iron by ironing my dads hankies!! For years that was one of my chores…and I did my very best because – too me – those hankies were signs of love!! Years later as an adult, When I found out that the man I was seeing carried a Hankie in his back pocket I knew it was love…and 20 years later he still carries one… my daughters and I were thrilled to find a box of ladies hankies in my grandmother's items…and we split them up fairly between the three of us. We all love what a hankie signifies – and now…to make some and give them as gifts to my lovely daughters…what a gift. Thank you!!!

14. Sarah says:

I really love these prints, what is the print that is on the far right handkerchief in the picture of them hanging on the line in the first and third pictures?

15. jen says:

Hi Sarah,

That print is a seasonal print from last year so it is no longer available. The number is 2174a if you'd like to search for it – I would try etsy and ebay.

Jen