Lavender Sachets

I used to think that sachets were kind of silly and useless, along the lines of crocheted toilet paper covers. Turns out, I was wrong; sachets are cool and practical too! They're not only pretty and wonderfully tactile,  but they also make your clothes and drawers smell great! (Now could someone please explain to me what a toilet paper cover is for?)

My sachet change of heart was made possible by a remarkable new product, the Dutch Chintz Garden Roll. Like sachets, chintz sometimes has a reputation for being unstylish (or “chintzy”), but these Garden Rolls quickly dispel such a notion. Each Roll includes a whole world of historically accurate and totally beautiful fabrics that truly spark the imagination. Comprised of fifteen 4-inch by 60-inch strips of fabric, each strip is divided into three different reproduction prints. Plus, there are five tone-on-tone strips. And so, swept away by this rainbow of jewel tones and extraordinary prints (whose actual dimensions are so well suited for a hand-sized project), I decided to give sachets a try, despite my original skepticism.

I quickly became a sachet convert. They were so simple and fun to make, especially in an assembly line, and they made my whole house smell like lavender!  I loved picking out my favorite chintz prints and matching them with others to create fresh smelling stacks of sachets.

To make twenty sachets:

Size

Each sachet is 3 1/2-inch square

Cutting

Pick out the fabrics you'd like to use from the roll of fabrics. In the example I am making a set of 12. If you're going to give them or use them as a set make sure you like the way they look all together.

Cut each of the chintz fabrics into a 4-inch square.

Cut 12 (or however many sachets you're making) 4-inch squares from the canvas, one for each of the chintz squares.

Sewing

Press one side of each of the cut squares 1/4-inch towards the wrong side.

Pin each chintz square to a canvas square, right sides together, with their folded sides lined up. Do not pin the folded sides.

Using the cotton sewing thread and a 1/4-inch seam allowance sew around the three pinned sides. Make sure to sew down the sides of the folds.

Turn sewn piece right sides out.

Filling and Finishing

Fill each sewn pocket with 10 heaping teaspoons of lavender and pin it closed. Make sure that the folded edges are flush with one another and that no raw seams or stray threads are popping out past the pinned edge.

Using the hand quilting thread sew the sachet closed with a blind stitch: Start with the knot on the inside of the fold. Pull the needle through along the fold of the chintz side and exit 1/4-inch from the edge.

Push the needle through the opposite side's fold (on the canvas side) directly across from the first exit point.

Go back and forth like this, sewing through the folds, until you reach the end of the open side. Tie a knot at the end.

Pull the thread through to the front of the sachet and snip it at the exit point to hide the end.

Thread an 18-inch length of the hand quilting thread and do not tie a knot. Starting from the canvas side of the sachet take a small horizontal tacking stitch through the sachet. Leave a 4-inch tail. Re-stitch over this stitch a few times and pull the stitch tight so that the sachet puckers towards the center, as shown above.

Double knot the working end of the thread to the tail on the canvas side, making sure to pull the knot tight to secure it. Hide the ends of the thread inside of the sachet as you did in the previous step and you're all done!

22 Responses to Lavender Sachets

1. simone says:

Great! I thought I recognized the fabric. Is it from the Netherlands?

2. Stephanie in MI says:

I really love these. Thanks for the tutorial. I reblogged and linked back to you. Hope it's okay!

3. Emilee says:

Love this idea. Perfect in time for Mother's Day! Would any quilting cotton fabric work or do you think they'd be too thick?Thanks.

4. Linda@Beadtrends.com says:

So simple and sweet and what a nice little gift “just because”! Can you tell me how many bags you were able to fill with 1 lb. of lavender? I want to order enough for my project. Thanks so much.

Linda

Hi Linda-

You could make 30 with a 1 lb bag.

Thank you for your question!

Hi Emilee-

Quilting cotton would work too!

Thank you for your question.

Hi Simone-

It is from the Netherlands. The fabric is “Dutch Chintz” and are reproductions of 17th and 18th century Dutch Quilting fabric. You can see it here:

8. Cris says:

Lovely post, gorgeous lavender saches :)

9. Ane says:

I really like these, colors are beautiful and this idea is good for mother's day!
    Do you know a Macaroon Pouch?
    This is very small pouch, shaped like a macaroon.
    It is popular to make this in Japan. :-)

10. Pam G. says:

yummy-it snowed here today and I needed to see these-just the thought of lavender and pretty fabric….may even get me to clean out and reorganize my dresser drawers

11. Maggie says:

I love for my drawers and cabinets to smell good but I don't love lavender. Does anyone have any thoughts on other herbs that might work as well?

Hi Maggie-

Some other good herbs would be:

Eucalyptus, orange peel, peppermint, rose buds, rose hips, lemon peel, and lemon verbena. Another good option, if you want to keep moths away, is cedar chips.

Thank you for your question!

13. Veronica says:

Is it OK to use quilting cotton instead of canvas? I want to get started right away!

Hi Veronica-

You can use any fabric you like! Good luck with the project!

15. Stephanie in MI says:

Thank you for this tutorial and the inspiration. I made a bunch of these up and blogged them. I thought you might like to see. Thanks so much for the fun project!

16. Marjorie K Wallace says:

Hi Molly;
    Just wanted to say thank you so much for this beautifully written and very informative article. I have had a collection of beautiful lavender and purple chintzes stashed away along with lavender buds I picked last summer. Your canvas idea on the bottoms is the perfect accent that will take these beyond the ordinary. Thank you so very much for sharing. ~ Marjorie

17. Laura says:

My favourite scent! Thanks for a great how to – and so well laid out that even my tragic sewing skills may be enough to get me through it (first attempts may need to go to the back of the sock drawer…hehe) I have shared your link at http://creativityunmasked.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/six-for-saturday-or-sunday_28.html :)

18. Marie*mlg says:

Simple and beautiful, as always !

19. iris says:

These are really beautiful! I prefer to make my sachets in a pillowcase fashion, backed with lace so that I can refill them when the scent starts to fade. I've written up a sort of overview tutorial here: http://byov.blogspot.com/2011/02/quick-project-lavender-sachet.html

I've even turned a miniature bear's paw quilt block into a lavender sachet! Tiny 6″x6″ quilt blocks are perfect for this!

20. Thanks so much for this great tutorial and inspiration! I love these, so pretty and still pratical. Today I posted about the version I made (inspired by yours) and linked to you as the original source, right here: http://paintingsunny.com/2013/05/03/before-the-blog-pinterest-inspired-projects-part-iii/

21. Geri says:

I received a Coffee Basket and it included four coasters filled with cloves. Every time I use them there's a wonderful aroma. I am thinking about making another set with cinnamon and one with nutmeg.

Oh, Molly, the TP covers, they are to make sure it's easily accessible to guests without an awkward moment and even more important it makes it less accessible to our four legged family and friends.

22. Gloria says:

Molly thank you for this simple yet elegant idea.

Geri is right about the toilet tissue covers. Matching the covers to a sachet and putting it into the main bath is a sweet smelling idea.

Geri's idea about the coffee basket and and coaster sized sachets is one I will be making for a friend and using Coco's Easter basket for the basket…Thank you.