New Super Easy Baby Blanket

One of our most popular projects over the years has been the Super Easy Baby Blanket. When I made it over four years ago, I was newly pregnant and full of dreams for the tiny baby who would be wrapped up inside. Now, that that baby is old enough to write his name, we thought it was time for an update to this wonderfully straightforward pattern!

Faye, whom you may know (and love!) from shopping at our store, suggested this time trying the Super Easy Baby Blanket with Koigu's Kersti Merino Crepe. Since in the last few years Faye, too, has become a mother, she thought Kersti's ultra springy loftiness would be perfect not just for a soft and cozy blanket, but also for a comfy play mat.

Plus, since Faye is one of Purl Soho's very first employees, she has spent nearly a decade with Koigu, contemplating its vast array of colors, playing with combinations and developing favorites. So she already had up her sleeve a beautiful summertime palette that starts with the blues of the cool ocean, passes into the bright light of the horizon and then rises to the hot flames of the sun. Spectacular!

If you know how to cast on, knit and bind off, you're ready to start your own Super Easy Baby Blanket! And if you're curious about the original, you can check it out right here. Enjoy both!

The Materials

• 7 skeins of Koigu's Kersti Merino Crepe, 100% Merino Wool. These colors, from the top are: 2200, 1240, 2180, 2100, 0, 2171.5, and 1043.

To buy all of this yarn together, just click here for our New Super Easy Baby Blanket Kit! (Needles not included)

The Pattern

5 stitches = 1 inch in garter stitch

10 rows = 1 inch

Finished Size

26 inches x 30 inches

Pattern Note

To get the same nice, neat edge as Faye, just slip the first stitch of every row knitwise with the yarn in back. (When you're changing colors, knit the first stitch instead of slipping it.)

Begin

With a US #7 needle (or size required by you to acheive the correct gauge) and the first color, loosely cast on 130 stitches.

Knit every row until you have knit the entire skein (which should be 18-22 garter stitch "ridges" [1 ridge = 2 rows]).

Switch to the second color at the beginning of the next row, and knit every row until you have knit the entire skein.

Repeat with each color, making sure to always switch colors on the same side.

After knitting the seventh color, loosely bind off.

Weave in the ends and you're done! Super easy!

77 Responses to New Super Easy Baby Blanket

1. Haley says:

How many skeins would I need if I just wanted to alternate two different colors?

Hi Haley-

You will need 3 of one color and 4 of the other. There is one skein per stripe.
    Faye

3. Adele says:

Question about slipping the first stitch of each row and switching colors– how do you slip the first stitch when you're changing colors? I understand how to slip the stitch and I know how to switch colors, but I'm confused about how to do both at once.

HI Adele,

Good question! When you switch colors, you should knit the first stitch of the new color instead of slipping it.

Thanks for asking!

Whitney

5. averyl says:

Hi,
    I just bought the kit from you guys to make this blanket. I cast on 130 stitches and completed 31 rows which is 15.5 garter stitches and the first color of wool is over! i have read the pattern over and over and cannot understand why this would have happened. Im trying to have this completed soon for my friends baby shower. Please help!
    Averyl

Hi Averyl-

I'm so sorry to hear you're having this issue. Can you check your gauge? If you are getting less than 5 stitches per inch your yarn will not go far enough.

Can you measure how many stitches you are getting per inch and let me know?

7. Sharon says:

I would like to do this in girl colors with dark, medium and light pink. Could you suggest 3 colors that would look nice together. I have been to the colors and I cant figure out colors that would look nice like that. Thanks.

8. Yvonne says:

Hello!

I hope to get a reply because I'm really confused.
    I understand how to slip the first stitch and change yarn but doing both at the same time kinda confused me. I know you have already answered Adele's post on this question.
    I can understand the instruction but my question is
    How about the last stitch? Your instruction is to knit the first stitch with the new yarn but you didn't mention bout the last stitch? Should I knit it?

Hope to hear from you soon! I'm stuck at switching to the second color.
    Thank you so much!

Hi Yvonne,

You knit the last stitch, just as you do for every other row.

Thanks for asking and please let us know if you have any other questions!

Whitney

10. Elana says:

Hi there- I appreciate reading the the questions and answers here in the comments! I didn't see my issue addressed. My gauge seems to be right on, but I'm only getting 18 or 19 ridges per color/skein. Would you recommend adding an eighth skein to get the correct length? Thanks!

Hi Elana-

Yes, that would solve the problem. Would you mind checking your gauge? If you are getting the appropriate gauge and this is still happening to you could you let us know. We want to make sure you got the proper amount of yarn to begin with. Please let us know!

12. Giannina says:

I just finished my first attempt at the blanket (only my second knitting project ever!). Anyway, my finished blanket is only 23 x 25.5 inches. It is a bit small for a baby blanket. I look forward to making another blanket. It was a fun beginner project and the yarn is beautiful! Should I just add stitches and another ball of yarn next time or should I move up to a size 8 needle? Thanks for the help!

Hi Giannina-

Thanks for writing in. You need to do a gauge swatch before you start the next blanket to make sure that you're getting the correct gauge, which in this pattern is 5 stitches per inch. It sounds like you are getting more stitches per inch (which results in a smaller blanket.) I would recommend that you go up a needle size or two until you are comfortably geting 5 stitcher per inch. Once you are getting the correct gauge the blanket will end up the right size.

Thanks for your question!

14. Tamar says:

I'm a knitting newbie; this is my very first knitting project and I have a question about changing colors. The edge where I changed to my second color looks kind of messy in that a few of the color#1 stitches spill into the color#2 area. I switched colors by knitting the first 3 stitches with both yarns together. Is there a better way to switch colors that results in a cleaner switch? Thanks for your help. I'm loving this project so far!

15. Tara says:

Hi :),

New knitter here. I just made my first hat with circulars – first time using them too, so I'm not understanding how just knitting won't create knit stitch, instead of garter.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi Tara-

When you are knitting back and forth, and not in a circle as you did with your hat, and you knit every row the result is garter stitch. Give it a try and you'll see!

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

17. Tamar says:

Help!
    I just ran out of my second color of yarn after only 19 garter rows and I don't understand why. For my first color, I had enough yarn for all 22 rows with a few yards of yarn left over. I'm using the Koigu Kersti Merino Crepe with a size 7 needle. I'm getting 5.5 stiches per inch. I understand that the extra 1/2 stitch per inch will make my blanket smaller than intended but why would I be short on yarn? Any suggestions on what could have gone wrong?

Hi Tamar,

Instead of knitting the first few stitches with both colors together, you may want to just cut the old yarn (leaving at least an 8-inch tail) and start the next row by knitting the first stitch with just the new color. It may look a little loose and messy at first, but when you weave in the ends, that problem will be resolved!

Also, to let you know, in garter stitch, when you change colors, one little pop of the new color shows up in the old color, an inevitable glitch that shows your blanket is hand knit!

Thank you for your question and please let us know if you have more!

Whitney

19. Marni says:

Great blanket. Do I need to use circular needles?

Hi Marni-

This blanket is not knit in the round but we do recommend the circular needles because the cable that connects the needles holds the width of the blanket better than two straight needles. You just treat the two ends of the circular needle as two separate needles.

Thanks for your question!

21. LC says:

I learn so much from everyone’s questions and answers. Thank you!

22. Helen says:

This blanket looks so beautiful! I would love to knit it for my soon to be arriving baby. Can you recommend any similar but slightly more affordable yarns? I realise the garment may look lovely because it is such nice yarn and colours but if there is an alternative I would be interested to know. I am in the UK. Thank you!

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Helen-

This patterns is pretty specific to this particular yarn since you knit to the end of the skein for each color so unfortunately it’s not super easy to change the yarn. But you could certainly try using any washable DK weight yarn that you like!

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry we can’t be of more help!

23. Kari H says:

How do you slip the stitch knitwise with the yarn in back?

• Whitney from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Kari,

You first make sure the working yarn is at the back of the work (the way it is when you knit a stitch, as opposed to when you purl a stitch and the yarn is at the front of the work). Then put the right needle into the first stitch on the left needle as if you’re going to knit (i.e. through the middle of the stitch in an away-from-you motion). Now simply bring the stitch from the left needle to the right needle. That’s it! You’re not making a stitch here, just slipping a stitch from the left needle to the right.

Please let us know if you have any other questions and good luck!
      Whitney

24. Stephanie says:

Hello. I am looking to make this blanket in a palette of greens and blue for my toddler nephew. I was looking at using Blue Sky Cotton, but I want something easily washable- and I would prefer a cotton. Do you have any other recommendations for a yarn. I will make it larger also, so a thicker yarn is fine. Thank you for your help.

• Molly from the Purl Bee says:

Hi Stephanie-

The Blue Sky Cotton would be a great option, you can machine wash it and you can even double it if you want to make it thicker. Our Chevron Baby Blanket uses it doubled on a size 11 needle. You can see that pattern here: http://www.purlbee.com/2011/09/15/whits-knits-chevron-baby-blanket/

I made a baby blanket from the Blue Sky Cotton for my now 9 year old niece before she was born, it’s been washed many times and it’s still beautiful!

Thanks for your question!