Pixie Dust Lap Blanket in Cool White!

Two years ago our Pixie Dust Lap Blanket ignited the imaginations of our readers with its fanciful large scale and whimsical twinkle. Knitters everywhere discovered the wonders of humongous needles capable of stitching up a show-stopping blanket in just a few hours!

Our original Pixie Dust Lap Blanket was knit up in a gorgeous daffodil yellow. Now this season we're exploring the arctic side of Knit Collage's Pixie Dust yarn with its cool white Snowflake color. This blanket is as fun, loopy and sparkly as its progenitor but with the elegance of a new fallen snow!

And here's an idea! Try doubling up Knit Collage's Sister. Same size needles, same pattern, same textural adventure, a Sister Lap Blanket is a beautifully affordable 100% wool alternative. Sister is now available in six lovely new colors, and you'll only need five skeins (you could even get away with four if you don't mind losing a few inches!). Here's a swatch:

To get started on your own Pixie Dust Lap Blanket (in whatever color or yarn you choose!), just visit our Project Journal right here! -Whitney

19 Responses to Pixie Dust Lap Blanket in Cool White!

1. Looks comfy!! Can I borrow that for my family room? ;)

2. Kati says:

That is absolutely gorgeous. I can't figure out knitting…but I think this might force me too….I NEED this in my living room! :)

3. Jessica says:

AMAZING YARN! Love it!!!

4. Rach says:

Just stumbled across your blog, so cute! I adore this blanket, if I had any knitting skills I'd be making one!

xo Rach
    rachiecakes-rachael.blogspot.com

5. Jessica says:

This looks so lush! I'm pretty sure my kitten would destroy it in less than a day, though, or I'd be so tempted to make myself one.

6. robbie says:

omg. i adore it.

7. Goose says:

This looks so nice! I really want one of these now – it would be perfect for winter!

8. Alverdine says:

Wow, that looks fantastic. I've never been big on yarns with uneven thickness – I'm rather OCD and like things to be uniform and precise – but this may be the thing that sways me…

9. Nika says:

Wow ! I love it !! Need to do one !

10. Mary Ann says:

Just to clarify….you would hold two strands of sister together to knit and get a similar look?

Hi Mary Ann-

That's right, you'd hold the two strands of Sister together.

Thank you for your question!

12. Tonelle says:

I've never knitted before in my life but I'd like to try this! It's beautiful! How long do you think it would take?

Hi Tonelle-

We wouldn't recommend this project as your first ever knitting pattern. The yarn is a little bulky and the needles are very large. We always recommend people start with a simple garter stitch scarf. This is a great how-to-knit booklet if you're interested: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/215-TNNA-How-to-Knit

The amount of time this project will take is pretty personal. But I'd say you could probably do it in a week or two if you're a beginner.

Thanks for writing in!

14. Michelle says:

Hi, love this lap blanket however I crochet….what do you recommend for a stitch? I understand this blanket will take more yarn so if I double crochet it how many skeins should I get and how many chains should I start off with?

Hi Michelle,

I think a double crochet would be a nice substitute! You should plan on using about a third more yarn than the knit version, so if you're thinking of the Pixie Dust yarn, you should be safe with 10 skeins.

To determine how many chains to start off with you'll need to make a gauge swatch. Once you know how many double crochets you get per inch you can multiply that number by 26 (the width of the blanket), add two, and make a foundation chain that many stitches. Start your first double crochet four chains away from the hook and count the three chains at the beginning of the row as your first double crochet.

I hope this all makes sense! Please let me know if you have any more questions and thanks for these!

Whitney

16. Doe says:

I cannot find the pattern? Am I missing something?

Hi Doe-

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're doing some spring cleaning on this site so some projects are a little funky right now. We are working on getting this pattern back up shortly.

18. Karen says:

I want to make this blanket but am leary of knitting with size 36 needles.
    How difficult is it to knit with large needles?

Hi Karen-

Unless you have hand problems knitting with large needles is super easy and super duper quick!

Thanks for getting in touch!