Snowflake Scarf

Since opening Purl Soho over ten years ago, we have often dreamed of creating our very own yarn. A yarn that would be as wonderful we could imagine: soft and luxurious, colorful and friendly, warm and beautiful. So, I'm thrilled to now be sharing my Snowflake Scarf with you, created with our first ever Purl Soho yarn: Super Soft Merino!

Super Soft Merino makes every lovely detail of the Rosette Stitch glow with a gentle halo of warmth. A chunky single ply of 100% merino wool, this yarn knits up with such a lavish drape and sumptuous coziness that even the most bitter winter wind is a breeze!

Stay tuned for more amazing patterns as we welcome Super Soft Merino into our lives. We hope you welcome it into yours! -Joelle

3 stitches = 1 inch in stitch pattern

Size

10-inches wide x 70-inches long

Cast on 30 stitches.

Row 1 (Right Side):  Knit.

Row 2:  *P2tog, leaving stitches on left needle, bring yarn to back of work and k2tog through same stitches, drop stitches from left needle, repeat from * to end.

Row 3: Knit.

Row 4:  P1, *p2tog, leaving stitches on left needle, bring yarn to back of work and k2tog through same stitches, drop stitches from left needle, repeat from * until 1 stitch remains, p1.

Repeat Rows 1-4 until approximately 30 inches of yarn remains, ending with a wrong side row. Bind off on right side in knit.

Weave in the ends and wrap yourself up!

77 Responses to Snowflake Scarf

1. Courtney says:

Does this stitch have a name? I think it is the stitch I've been trying to find from a hat that I love! Thanks! Love you guys and I'm glad to see you up and running post-Sandy.

Hi Courtney,
    The stitch is called the “Rosette Sttich”. Thanks for you comment! Joelle

3. Megan Morton says:

This is beautiful and looks so cozy. I can't wait to make one for my sister-in-law in Alaska. Should keep her warm! As always, this site is lovely and so glad to see you are all doing well after the storm. Thank you and let the holiday knitting begin!

4. Ale lu says:

It's lovely!! Thanks!!

5. Katie says:

I love how this stitch looks and am so excited to get the yarn and begin! My roommate has been asking for a cowl — she has commented several times on the striped cotton cowl that I made from your site for another roommate! :) — if I were going to stitch the two ends together at the end to make it into a cowl, would you recommend shortening it by 10 inches or so? (My striped cotton cowl is about 60 inches)

Hi Katie-

That sounds like a great plan! You could even make it shorter if you wanted it to be a more neck hugging cowl.

Let us know how it goes!

7. Mopsy Forsee says:

I love your site. You always spark my creativity. I thought this scarf would make a perfect gift for several people I love! Just one concern. On rows 2 & 4, wouldn't the stitches decrease? Is there something I'm missing? Should there be a yarn over or something to maintain the stitch number? I'm probably missing something obvious and would appreciate your setting me straight. Thanks again for sharing such a beautiful project.

8. Lindsay says:

Cannot wait to cast on! Love your site, and just visited your shop this summer for the first time. Love everything I picked up:) Can't wait to come again on a future visit!

Hi Mopsy-

I can see why you would think rows 2 and 4 are decreasing, because of the P2tog and K2tog instructions. However, you are actually decreasing and then immediately creating a new stitch:

P2tog, leaving stitches on left needle, (this decreases your stitches by 1) bring yarn to back of work and k2tog through same stitches (this adds a new stitch), drop stitches from left needle

Sometimes I find it most helpful to just cast on and give a pattern like this a try even if it doesn't make sense to me written out.

Thank you for your question and please let us know if you need any more help!

10. Megan says:

If I wanted to make the scarf narrower, could I decrease the cast on by any number of stitches as long as the total remains even? So for instance could I cast on 16 or 20 stitches and still have the pattern work? Thanks!

Hi Megan-

Yes, you can cast on any even number and this pattern will work.

12. Sarah says:

Thanks to Mopsy for asking the question about decreasing. That's how I read the pattern, too. And thanks to Molly for her answer. Can't wait to cast on for this lovely project!

13. nicole says:

Hello! That scarf is beautiful, thanks for sharing it with us. Do you happen to know if there is a similar stitch that can be used to crochet this pattern? I can crochet but don't know how to knit and just wondered.

Hi Nicole-

We don't really know of a similar crochet stitch but maybe a crocheting reader out there does?

Thanks for writing in!

15. Sharon says:

As Mopsy said, you always spark my creativity! Would I be right in thinking this would knit up pretty fast or is the P2tog K2tog quite slow? I ask as relative, yet enthusiastic, newbie :-) I think it would make a wonderful Christmas gift but don't want to overcommit, especially as I have three other projects on the go! The yarn looks delicious.

16. Jenny says:

Silly question: do you take the needle out after you P2tog to place the yarn in back and then K2tog?

17. louise says:

hi, is the name of this yarn 'supersoft merino wool'? or is it 'scrumptious 100%merino wool'?
    I've just ordered my yarn from you and am very excited about starting my scarf, however when telling a friend about it, i didn't know what exactly to call the yarn.
    thanks

Hi Louise-

It's “Purl Soho's Super Soft Merino”. Thanks so much for your kind words and your question!

Hi Jenny-

There are no silly questions! It sounds like you have the right idea! Give it a try and if it isn't working please let us know and we can help.

Hi Sharon-

It's not super time consuming but then again it's not garter stitch either! We would suggest that you make a swatch using some scrap yarn to see if you like the stitch and judge how fast you go with it.

Thanks for your question!

21. delquin says:

hi! this yarn looks amaaaazing and so does this scarf! is this yarn considered aran or bulky? the pattern page on ravelry suggests aran weight yarn, but the gauge and suggested needles on your website make me think its bulky weight. thank you! i can't wait to cast on :)

Hi Delquin-

It's a bulky weight.

Thank you for your question!

23. Jennie says:

I love your blog and all of your patterns/ideas! I had a question – if I wanted to make this into a cowl on circular needles, how would I need to modify the pattern in terms of the stitches?

Thanks so much!
    Jennie

24. Kata says:

Thank you so much for this pattern!
    Since customs is really high where I currently live, I regret to say that I still haven't ordered Purl Bee's Merino, … but if anyone wants to see what this pattern looks like in a much thinner wool (recommended for a 3.5 or 4cm needle; gauge 10×10 = 20 by 32) just scroll down to the picture in this”>http://somethingbyvirtueofnothing.blogspot.com/2012/12/birds-dont-belong-in-cages.html/”>this post.
    I am such a Purl Bee fan, and was wondering if there is a book you recommend, or if Purl Bee might make one, about how to go from knowing how to knit simple things like scarves to knitting vests and sweaters. Thank you again!

25. Sarah says:

Discovered your site a couple weeks ago when I started knitting. Most the patterns are beyond me right now, but I think I can do this one! It's lovely…as is your site. Thanks for all the patterns and tips!

26. Margaret says:

Can this stitch be done in the round?

27. Leslie says:

I have made two hats with this yarn. Was skeptical at first but it is fabulous yarn. Very soft yet sturdy. Love it.

28. takako says:

Hi! it looks so cozy and warm!! I would like to try to kint it…
    but i am not good at crochet knitting and my language is not English :((
    do you have any patern picture? so, i can try to knit it?

29. tiziana says:

This is a wonderful scarf. I deside it…but I'm unable to translate the pattern :-(((
    Ciao! Tiziana

Hi Takako and Tiziana-

Unfortunately we don't have a pattern chart or picture or a translation. We're so sorry we can't be more helpful. Thank you both for writing in!

Hi Margaret-

We haven't had success doing this stitch in the round so we recommend it to be done flat.

Thanks for your question!

32. Gail says:

I love your site and this scarf is beautiful. The stitch is quite easy too – I just tried it.

33. Marian says:

I love your new merino. So soft! I've made two in this easy and beautiful pattern and plan to make more.

34. tiziana says:

No problem Molly, I will ask my daughter to help me in the translation. I also love your beautiful site. Ciao

35. Patty says:

The yarn is gorgeous. How do you care for it…dry clean or handwash.

Hi Patty-

We recommend handwashing this yarn.

37. carol says:

this scarf is so very pretty and i really appreciated being able to read the comments and the answers… they will be taken into account when i finally make this. thanks again for such a pretty pattern

38. Sandy says:

Just received the super soft merino today, beautiful desert blue. This knits up fast and feels like butter in my hands. Can't wait to wear it and plan on making one for my husband in the grey or black. I love this yarn.

39. Noelle says:

I made mine with 2 strands of a lesser-weighted yarn, and it came out beautifully! I also stitched the 2 ends together for a cowl, and I could not love it more!

40. Courtney says:

Just finished my scarf! When I was still knitting it though, I was thinking, 'This doesn't look much like the pictures on Purl Bee, but it sure is pretty!' Only after finishing it did I bother to read in the comments that it is the Rosette stitch, and then look it up on Youtube to see how it is done. See, what I was doing was knitting two together by knitting into the BACK of the two stitches, not the FRONT. Whoops! Is this a stitch that is already used or did I just come up with something new? If it's new, try it out! It's a beautiful one! ;-)

41. nancytheknitter says:

I am having trouble reading the small print because of eye surgery. I ordered 2 skeins of this beautiful yarn and am wondering how to knit this scarf-half the cast on? Maybe? I don't want it shorter.

Hi nancythekniiter-

This stitch pattern is a multiple of 2, so if you want to do it half the width cast on 16sts.

Thank you for your question!

Faye

43. Steph says:

Hi – I love this pattern, but was wondering if you could recommend another yarn that would show the stitches as beautifully as the Super Soft Merino? I'd like to make this scarf as a gift for someone who doesn't wear wool because of skin sensitivity.

Steph

Hi Steph-

You can use the blue sky worsted cotton single or double. If you did it double it would on an 11. Or single it would be an 8 needle and about 40sts.

Thanks for your question!

Faye

45. Steph says:

Thank you so much for the advice on alternative yarn!!

:-)
    Stephanie

46. Marny CA says:

Sort of reminds me of Tunisian Crochet.

Yours looks very lush and luxurious!!

47. Jenny Culler says:

I have started this scarf in the suggested yard and I really love this stitch. I was wondering if you think it would be better to join yard on the end or in the middle.

Hi Jenny,
    Great question. For this project, we recommend joining on the edge.
    Thanks,
    Laura

49. Michelle says:

Hi! I purchased my yarn from you before I decided on a project. I bought Madelinetosh Merino and was wondering how many stitches you recommended to cast on and if 2 skeins would be enough AND if a size 8 or 9 needle would be okay as recommended on the label… or do I size up to get that more open look. Thanks in advance! This is the most complex pattern I have tried as I am a relatively new knitter.
    ~ Michelle

Hi Michelle,
    Have you swatched yet to figure out how many stitches to the inch you are getting and how many you'd like to cast on? I imagine it will probably in the neighborhood of 28-30? Depending on how wide you want it. You might want one more skein. I'd stick with the bigger needle, maybe even go up to a 10, but again, swatch first…
    Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Laura