Super Soft Merino Fluted Cowl

Our Fluted Cowl combines two of our very favorite things: elegant drama and Super Soft Merino! If you haven't heard, Super Soft Merino is Purl Soho's new, very own yarn, and we couldn't be happier about it!

A loosley spun single ply of 100% Peruvian merino, Super Soft Merino is beautiful, decadent and yes, super soft. For cozy warmth and cuddly comfort, it makes the consummate neck wrapper!

This Fluted Cowl is the perfect expression of everything we love about Super Soft Merino. It is lush and wonderfully indulgent, easy and versatile; it is why we knit! The scale and elegance of this cowl give it an operatic sweep that will carry you through the winter in style.

This fascinating texture is created by a simple pattern called the Fluted Fabric Stitch. Slipped stitches add depth and loftiness, while gentle ribbing creates a soft rhythm. Easy for beginners, quick for everyone? Think holiday gift!

3 1/4 stitches = 1 inch in pattern stitch

Size

15 inches high and 60 inches around

Note

The Fluted Fabric Stitch works in the round on any multiple of four stitches.

Cast on 196 stitches.

Place a marker and join for working in the round being careful to not twist the stitches.

Round 1: *K1, slip 1 with yarn in front (sl1 wyif), k1, p1, repeat from * to end of round.

Round 2: *Sl1 wyif, p1, sl1 wyif, k1, repeat from * to end of round.

Repeat Rounds 1 and 2 until piece measures 15 inches from cast on edge, ending with Round 1.

Working Round 2, bind off in pattern.

Weave in your ends and get cozy!

96 Responses to Super Soft Merino Fluted Cowl

1. Kathy says:

I am interested in a pattern for the grey sweatshirt style sweater at the top of the Purl Bee page. Is it available?

Hi Kathy-

You can find links to all of the projects on our banner in our “on the banner” page at the top of the page. Here's the link: http://purlbee.squarespace.com/on-the-banner/

Thank you for your question!

3. Suzy says:

Hi.. This is lovely. Do you slip as to purl or slip as if to knit? Thanks.

Hi Suzy-

It's slip as if to purl. Unless a pattern states otherwise the rule of thumb is always slip as if to purl.

5. Mary Jane Bard says:

'love your patterns and yarn. How do I print just the pattern for Fluted Cowl? Tthank you

Hi Mary Jane-

The best way to print a pattern from our site is to copy and paste the text and images you want into a Word or Text document and print from there. We realize this isn't ideal and hope to make it easier in the future.

7. Jazmin says:

Can you send this as a kit?! I live in IL and I would like a simple pretty pattern, this works perfectly!

8. Heather Chevreau says:

It looks really long to me… is there a method to shortening the length a bit?

Hi Heather-

You can make it any length you like! Just make sure to cast on a multiple of 4 stitches and keep in mind that the gauge is 3 1/4 stitches per inch. For instance if you'd like to make it 40-inches in circumference:

3.25 (stitches per inch) X 40 (inches)= 130, rounded up to the nearest multiple of 4= 132 stitches to cast on.

Thank you for your question!

Hi Jazmin-

We don't have a kit for this but you can find links to all the materials you'll need above in the “Materials” section of the pattern and we ship anywhere!

11. teri says:

Hi. I am sorta new to knitting.. I would like to know what WYIF would stand for in knitting terms. I love this and want to try and make it. Tks

Hi Teri-

WYIF means “with yarn in front” as explained in the round 1 instructions. Please let us know if you have any more questions and good luck with the pattern!

13. julia says:

Hi Molly,
    that is really a lovely pattern! Is it possible to knit this pattern in rows instead of rounds?
    Thanks a lot,
    Julia

14. Kristin says:

Hi Molly!
    Your website, blog, products, EVERYTHING= slick slick slick!
    Just lovely. I wish I could visit the store. I hope you all are ok right now.
    May I ask your thoughts on if you think the Fluted Cowl would look good in sock weight? Giant needles really hurt my hands. (5-7's are least painful- carpal tunnel)
    How would I adjust the pattern, do you think, or is it just not worth it since its a (gorgeous!) bulky cowl in the first place…?
    Dying to knit it!
    Kristin

15. miriam says:

Hi! I knit the continental way. Will that result in the same pattern?

Hi Miriam-

Knitting continental style will not affect the pattern.

Thank you for your question!

Hi Kristin-

I think this pattern would be beautiful in a thinner gauge as well but you'll need to do a gauge swatch to figure out how many stitches to cast on. This pattern works with any multiple of 4 stitches.

Thank you so much for your kind words. Everyone is just fine after the storm, thank you for your concern.

Best-

Hi Julia-

Yes, you can knit it straight:

Cast on a multiple of 4 plus 1

Row 1 (RS): P1, *k1, sl 1 wyif, k1, p1; rep from * to end.

Row 2: K1, *sl 1 wyib, p1, sl 1 wyib, k1; rep from * to end

repeat these two rows until the scarf is the desired length.

19. Shelly B says:

This is gorgeous! I really must learn how to knit/crochet

20. katie says:

do you start the *K1 right after you put the ring marker on the right or does joining in the round mean you purl right after the cast on? sorry, so confused!!

Hi Katie-

You do start the *K1 right after you put on the ring marker, no extra stitches are required.

Please let us know if you have any more questions!

22. Saki says:

Hi! Wonderful cowl! The pattern and yarn selection complement each other beautifully! Two questions about the cowl photo under the header: How is the cowl wrapped? (Folded widthwise??) How many times did you loop the cowl around the dress form's 'neck'?

Thank You!!!

23. Joyce says:

Need clarification: On Row 2, directions say “S1 wyif, p1, sl1 wyif, k1″. – does this mean you have 2 slip stitches in Row 2? Question whether S1 same as sl1? Could not find a mention of any other stitch with the abbreviation using S1 as opposed sl1. Need to get going to get this done for Christmas!

Thanks!!

Hi Saki-

1. It's folded in half width wise so the right side is showing.

2. It's looped around the of the dress form once.

Thanks for your questions!

25. Dorie says:

Just curious if we are connecting at the end of the round. Or working as if they were needles.
    And do you have a turtorial for this sl wyif ( because it sounds just like a purl stitch. I am new to knitting and have most of the basics down. But have not heard of this stitch yet.

26. Dorie says:

im having a hard time with your directins. maybe because im new to knitting. do i have this correct
    Round 1: Knit 1 slip1 with yarn in front…( are whats in parenthesis saying the same thing? because it looks like slip11 with yarn in front) the lower case l and the 1 look alike. Sothis is where i am confused.
    Round 2 you have S1 does that mean slip 1? with yarn in fron, purl 1 slip 11? with yarn in the front, knit 1 to end of round.

My confusion is with the S's and the 1's that could be an L or 1?

27. Vaishali says:

Hi, I was wondering what yarn weight you're using (ie worsted, bulky etc), as I'm in the UK and wanted to find something in the uk that is similar to the one that's specified, alternatively what could I substitute it with? any suggestions would be useful.

P.s love all your patterns and thank you for your help in this matter

Vai xx

Hi Vai-

Our Super Soft Merino is a chunky weight. You can see more specific gauge and length info here: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/item/8944-Purl-Soho-Super-Soft-Merino

Good luck and thanks for your question!

ps- we ship to the UK all the time! : )

Hi Dorie-

You are connecting in the round.

A sl 1 wyif is slipping the stitch over to the right hand needle as if to purl and the yarn is in front as well.

And here are the instructions written out a little differently. Hopefully it's more clear for you:

Round 1: *K1, slip 1 with yarn in front, k1, p1, repeat from * to end of round.

Round 2: *slip 1 wyif, p1, slip 1 wyif, k1, repeat from * to end of round.

Working Round 2, bind off in pattern.

Please let us know if you have any more questions, and good luck with the project!

Faye

30. Nancy Olson says:

I like the look of the cast-on edge. Can you tell me which cast-on was used? Thanks!

Hi Nancy-

We used the long tail cast on. http://purlbee.squarespace.com/cast-on-tutorial/2006/9/29/cast-on-long-tail-method-1.html

Thank you for your question!

32. Angela says:

I'm curious about this conversion: the original pattern (in the round) has Round 2: *Sl1 wyif, p1, sl1 wyif, k1, repeat from * to end of round but in the straight version (round 2) is row 2- *sl 1 wyib, p1, sl 1 wyib, k1* rep from * to end. why does the 'wyif' change to 'wyib'? Not questioning but would love to know as i am not a fan of cowls and would prefer some patterns for scarves (straight). Thank you!!!!

33. aileen says:

Hi Angela,
    To my understanding, when knitting in the round, the “right side” of the piece is always facing you, whereas in the straight version you have a “right side” and “wrong side”. In order to keep the integrity of the pattern, you s1wyib in the straight version to make the “wrong side” look like the one knit in the round

34. Teresa says:

For the straight pattern conversion I noticed that the row1 has 5 stitches and row 2 has only 4 stitches? Am I reading the pattern wrong or is there a step I am missing?

Hi Teresa-

Sorry it took so long to get back to you! Here is the corrected straight pattern:

Row 1 (RS): P1, *k1, sl 1 wyif, k1, p1; rep from * to end.

Row 2: K1, *sl 1 wyib, p1, sl 1 wyib, k1; rep from * to end

Hope that clarifies things! Thank you!

36. Rebecca says:

Hello,

In the picture above, is the cowl wrapped twice around the neck or three times?

Hi Rebecca-

It's wrapped twice.

Thank you for your question!

38. Chelsea says:

A quick question:
    in the first and second rounds after you have S1 Wyif, do u move the yarn to the back before the K1?

love this scarf :)
    Thank you.

Hi Chelsea-

Yes, you do move the yarn to the back before the K1.

Thank you for your question!

40. nancy says:

is this good for a beginner? i am just starting out and LOVE this! I'm a little scared…

41. Lisa says:

I love this……looks like the infinity scarves that are so popular. My Mom does not knit, but does crochet. Just wondering if there would happen to be a pattern to crochet this.

Hi Lisa-

We don't have this particular pattern in crochet. Here is a link to all of our crochet patterns: http://purlbee.squarespace.com/crochet-projects/

Thanks for your question!

Hi Nancy-

I wouldn't knit this for my first project but if you've completed a couple of things and are looking to go to the next level this would be a good pattern. You might give it a try with some spare yarn before you take the plunge.

Thanks for your question!

44. Patti says:

Hi
    I have started the cowl twice because the knit stitch does not line up on the first rows. I have completed 3 rounds. Any suggestion please?

Hi Patty-

I'm not sure I understand your question since the knit stitches aren't supposed to line up with one another. It could be that you just haven't gotten far enough to see the pattern take shape yet? Maybe try knitting a few more rounds and see what it looks like. If that isn't it please get back in touch.

46. Ashley says:

I am planning on doing this project as a gift for my husband. The pattern seems pretty straight forward and I have had no problem finding a great yarn I know he will love. However, I cannot seem to find the needles listed under the materials, not even on your site. I can only seem to find the size 17 circular needles at 29″ length. Will this work instead of the 32″?

Thank you.

Hi Ashley-

We are sold out of the needles at the moment but a 29-inch should be OK but maybe a little crowded. You could probably use a 40-inch length as well.

Thanks for your question!

48. Greta says:

I made the Fluted Cowl for my daughter in law for Christmas with the oyster grey Super Soft Merino yarn. She loves it and wears it all the time. She want to know how to clean it. When I finished it I just steam blocked it as I didn't want to make it bigger. I don't see cleaning instructions for this yarn. I will be visiting her in 2 weeks and said I would do it while I am visiting. Help!! I love your site and products.

49. Cheyrl says:

Can this be done with regular needles rather than circular?

Hi Greta-

The cowl can be hand washed with a gentle cleanser and then laid flat to dry. We carry a great gentle cleanser called Soak that you can see here:
    Thank you so much from writing in!