New! Purl Soho’s Learn To Knit Kit!

If you're a knitter, then you surely remember your first journey into the world of knitting. Inevitably, it started with a scarf and was accompanied by a wonderful tremor of excitement. A whole new passion was in store for you, a life of creativity and fascination, of joy and beauty.

At Purl Soho, our mission is to share this passion, and so our new Learn To Knit kit is specially designed to spark a creative fire in the hearts of new knitters everywhere! Our goal was to create an experience for new knitters that would be as satisfying and enchanted as were our own first forays into knits and purls.

We believe that beautiful materials are at least half the pleasure of knitting, that just because it's your first scarf doesn't mean you can't appreciate tactile delight and sumptuous beauty. That's why we equipped the Learn To Knit kit with two gorgeous skeins of our new Super Soft Merino, enough to knit up an equally gorgeous, totally cuddly, absolutely wonderful scarf!

Also tucked inside our kit is an indispensable first-time-knitter companion, our Learn To Knit instruction booklet! Filled with dozens of full-color, close-up photographs and explicit explanations, this guide will hold your hand through every step of the process, from winding a ball to casting on, knitting, purling, combining the two, adding a ball, binding off, weaving in ends and blocking. This may sound like gibberish to you now, but by the time we're done with you, you'll be completely fluent!

In fact, the Learn To Knit booklet is so chock-full of practical and valuable information that, in the end, you will have the knowledge and confidence to choose one of three scarf patterns to knit up your very own scarf. Garter, seed or rib? You'll know exactly what we're talking about!

Packed inside a sturdy, use-it-again tube is absolutely everything you'll need to actually knit a scarf! Each Learn to Knit Kit includes...

• 2 skeins of Purl Soho's Super Soft Merino, enough to make one scarf. Choose from our whole palette of twelve lovely colors!
  • A pair of solid birch knitting needles, size US #13. Made in the USA.
  • A yarn needle for finishing.
  • An everything-you-need-to-know Instruction Booklet which includes patterns for three scarves.

And with the holidays around the corner, now is a very good time to learn how to knit so you can give a scarf imbued with the love and devotion of hand crafting! Or, equally meaningful, share your own passion for knitting with someone who doesn't yet know what she or he is missing. Now, that's a gift that will truly last a lifetime!

If you'd like to order a Learn To Knit Kit just click right here. And happy knitting!

17 Responses to New! Purl Soho’s Learn To Knit Kit!

1. My grandmother taught me to knit and crochet umpteen years ago. While I've never stopped crocheting, I've forgotten most of my knitting skills. Does your tutorial show both ways of knitting– I believe they are continental and English??? I think I'm a continental knitter (a picker?) if my memory serves me.
    Beautiful yarn! I'd love to ask for this for my birthday.
    :-) Hettie, CelticMommy

2. Janet says:

Kudos to you for starting them out right! I learned to knit from a similar kit, purchased online, only not with yarn as nice as yours. For my second project, a LYS owner introduced me to quality yarn and good needles and I was spoiled forever. Ten years later, friends and family are still wearing some of my earliest garter stitch creations. The stitches werent all perfect, but they were knit with beautiful yarns that more than compensated for a tension issue here and there. Once you knit with the good stuff, theres no going back.

3. StephF says:

I hope I get one for christmas. Peacock blue looks amazing and I've been wanting to learn for a long time.

4. Greg says:

What a " Grand Deluxe " gift idea…gorgeous yarn, beautiful sticks, great tutorial all flawlessly packaged! It's all in the details…this'll have them hooked for sure.

5. Lucie says:

This is so perfect! I wish I could find something as great in french for the two little girls I'm baby-sitting: they want to learn how to knit, which is great, but teaching to 4 and 6 yo Damn, not that easy :)

6. Kathryn says:

Wow, what an incredible idea! LOVE this kit so much I wish I didn't already know how to knit. :) It looks like the perfect gift for a beginner.

7. Kate says:

I love this idea, but I would hate to give a new knitter a skein of yarn without a way of making it into a useful ball!

Hi Kate-

We understand your concern but the kit comes with instructions on how to roll the yarn into a ball. We feel like it's important to let beginners know that if a yarn comes in a skein it has to be wound first.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

Best-

9. Kate says:

That's great! Every knitter probably remembers her first hand-wound ball! Love your gorgeous merino!

10. Amanda says:

Is the instructional book available on it's own?

11. Lisa says:

Love it! What a wonderful gift it is to teach someone to make something with their own hands, but to also begin a journey that may last a lifetime!

12. Annette says:

Do you have any kits like this for crochet??

13. stephanie says:

Hi – I am left handed, will the kit still work? Thanks.

Hi Stephanie,
    Yes, the kit is made for both left and right handed people.
    Thanks for your question! –Purl Bee

15. dina says:

I've taught so many friends and family how to knit. Using a kit is a great idea. And what a wonderful gift too!

16. liway says:

wow!

17. Tilly says:

Beauuuuutiful. I'm an avid seamstress but have never been able to get into knitting. I wonder if this would make me change my mind?!