Bear’s Rainbow Blanket

Like many parents, I soon discovered after having a baby that I'd never actually been busy before. Basic things like taking showers and returning phone calls suddenly seemed overrated. But for me, one thing that has never been dispensable is crafting things for my son, Bear.

I'm not saying that I sit around for hours, dreamily stitching away. No, it's more like a stolen moment here and a quick minute there; a few squares at jury duty, a couple more in a waiting room, and two years later a blanket is born!

As drawn out as the process was, making Bear's Rainbow Blanket was always an exhilarating ride. Each step contained a world of wonderment, from Koigu Premium Merino's incredible hand dyed colors to this fascinating stitch pattern that magically turns a circle into a square; from the arrangement of dozens of colors and 108 squares to the daydreams of Bear dragging his Rainbow Blanket off to college!

I think I could have crocheted these squares for the rest of my life, but I finally stopped myself when I had enough to make a 40 x 54-inch blanket, the perfect size for my four year old. The bed pictured here is a queen, but this blanket is also right at home on a twin bed... or under a circle of picnicking stuffed animals!

I've crafted quite a few things in my life, and though I have so much fondness for many of those things, this is perhaps the dearest to my heart. This blanket expresses not only my love for my son, but for crafting too. To pursue a grand plan to its very end is the chocolate cake of crafting: a rich and deeply satisfying experience!

To start concocting your own grand plan, read on! -Whitney

The Materials

To Make the Exact Same Blanket

FINISHED SIZE: 40 x 54 inches (9 squares x 12 squares)

To make your blanket just like mine you can order our Complete Rainbow Blanket Kit right here. It includes 52 skeins of Koigu Premium Merino (KPM), 100% Merino Wool. They are:

• 11 skeins of color #00 for the borders.
  • 41 skeins for the inside squares. One skein of each of the following colors:
    • First column (far left, from the top):1175, 1173, 1155, 1145, 1143, 2121, 1100, 2227, 2229, 2220, and 1195
    • Second column: 1110, 2200, 1240, 1200, 2180, 2100, 2335, 2423, 1521, and 1521.5
    • Third column: 2339, 1520, 1051, 1532, 1504, 1500, 2130, 1045, 1043, and 1010.5
    • Fourth column: 3016, 2405, 2403, 2390.5, 2290, 3003, 2164, 2416, 1156, and 1400

(The blanket is made up of 108 squares, but this is enough colored yarn to make over 400 inside squares! [You would need more yarn for the outside borders.])

You will also need:

To Make a Crib Size Blanket

FINISHED SIZE: 32 x 41 inches (7 squares x 9 squares)

To make a smaller version of the Rainbow Blanket, you can order one of our Rainbow Crib Blanket Kits right here. It includes a total of 13 skeins of Koigu Premium Merino: 7 colors for the inside squares and 6 of color #00 for the outside borders. Arrange the 63 finished squares however you want!

Choose from six different Rainbow Crib Blanket Kits (shown above):

• Pebble (top left): 2390.5, 3003, 1156, 2403, 2164, 2416, and 2290 + 6 skeins of 00
  • Kitchen Garden (top right): 1195, 1240, 2200, 2339, 1521.5, 1051, and 1521 + 6 skeins of 00
  • Dolphin (middle left): 1500, 2130, 1043, 3016, 1504, 1045, and 1010.5 + 6 skeins of 00
  • Mineral (middle right): 2335, 2403, 3003, 2180, 1200, 2290, and 2390.5 + 6 skeins of 00
  • Pixie (bottom left): 1240, 1173, 2200, 1143, 2121, 1155, and 2100 + 6 skeins of 00
  • Pickup Truck (bottom right): 2403, 2229, 2390.5, 2405, 1010.5, 3016, and 2227 + 6 skeins of 00

You will also need:

To Design Your Own Blanket

Here is what you need to know to:

• Each skein of KPM is 50 grams and 175 yards.
  • Bear's Rainbow Blanket is 9 x 12 squares (108 squares total). To make the same size, you'll need at least a total of 22 skeins of KPM. If you want a border color, you'll need 11 of it, plus at least 11 more skeins for the inside squares.
  • Each square uses about 32-34 total yards of KPM; 17-18 yards for the inside square and 15-16 yards for the outside border.
  • 1 skein of KPM can make 10 inside squares or 11 outside borders.
  • Each square measures 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches.
  • A skein of KPM Needlepoint Yarn is 3.125 grams and 10.9 yards, so for 1 inside square you need 2 KPM Needlepoint skeins.
  • Purl Soho always has a beautiful selection of Koigu's KPM. Click here to see it all, and have fun!

Notes On Koigu

•  Koigu Premium Merino is hand dyed in small batches so please know that each dye lot is unique. This means that if you use one of our kits, it will look a lot like ours but will have some variations. It also means that if consistency is important to you, buy enough!
  • KPM is machine washable on a cold, gentle cycle. However, I would recommend pre-soaking any dark or saturated skeins in a cold white vinegar bath before you roll them into balls.

Crocheted Square Pattern

6 1/4 double crochets crochets = 1 inch

Finished Size

Each square is 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches

Inside Square

Round 1: With the Inside Color, chain 3 into an adjustable loop, make 15 double crochet (dc) into the loop...

... join to third stitch of beginning chain with a slip stitch. (16 stitches)

Round 2: Chain 3, [2 dc into next stitch] 15 times to beginning chain, 1 dc into base of chain...

... join to third stitch of chain with a slip stitch. (32 stitches)

Round 3: Chain 3, *2 dc into next stitch, 1 dc into next stitch, repeat from * to last stitch, 2 dc into last stitch, slip stitch into third chain. (48 stitches)

Round 4: Chain 4, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc, 1 treble crochet [tr]) into the base of the chain...

..*skip 2 stitches, 1 half double crochet (hdc) into next 2 stitches, 1 sc into next 3 stitches, 1 hdc into next 2 stitches, skip 2 stitches, (1 tr, 2 dc, chain 2, 2 dc, 1 tr) into next stitch, repeat from * 2 more times, skip 2 stitches, 1 hdc into next 2 stitches, 1 sc into next 3 stitches, 1 hdc into next 2 stitches, slip stitch into 4th chain.

Round 5: Chain 3, 1 dc into next 2 stitches, *(1 dc, 2 tr, ch 2, 2 tr, 1 dc) into corner space, 1 dc into each stitch to corner (13 dc's), rep from * 2 more times, (1 dc, 2 tr, ch 2, 2 tr, 1 dc) into corner space, 1 dc into each stitch to beginning chain (10 dc's), slip stitch into 3rd chain. Cut the yarn and pull it through the last stitch.

Outside Border

Round 1: Join Border Color into a corner space. (Chain 3, 1 dc, chain 2, 2 dc) into corner space, *1 dc into each stitch to next corner space (19 dc's), (2 dc, chain 2, 2 dc) into corner space, repeat from * 2 more times, 1 dc into each stitch to beginning corner (19 dc's), slip stitch into 3rd chain.

Round 2: Chain 3, 1 dc into next stitch, *5 dc into corner space, 1 dc into each stitch to next corner space (23 dc's), repeat from * 2 more times, 5 dc into corner space, 1 dc into each stitch to beginning chain (21 dc's), slip stitch into 3rd chain. Cut the yarn and pull it through the last stitch.

Weave in whatever ends you didn't already crochet over.

Layout

If you are making the same exact blanket as this one, here is the layout of all the squares. (Note that in some of the story's photos the blanket is flipped over so that this layout is a mirror image of what you may see in the photos.)

Assembling

There are lots of ways to attach your squares together. Some people like to crochet them together using a slip stitch or even a single crochet, but I prefer to sew them together with a length of yarn and a tapestry needle. And again there are several of ways to do that: a running stitch, some variation on a blanket stitch, or my preferred method, a whip stitch. Experiment and decide what you like best!

To whip stitch, I brought the needle under both strands of the edge stitches. Instead of turning the needle around to come back the other way, I pushed my needle through in the same direction for every stitch.

Remember to save yourself some trouble and sew over whatever ends you can!

I hope you enjoy this project as much as I did! And happy hooking!

110 Responses to Bear’s Rainbow Blanket

1. jane says:

Whitney
    Having sooo much fun making all these beautiful squares. It was worth learning how to crochet. Unfortunately, I didn't read the setting of the darker colors, before I had completed most of them. I have worked all the inside colors first. Should I put them in a vinegar bath and block them prior to completing the outside borders? Using up my huge stash of Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino on a 3.25 hook and it is looking beautiful. Also used some natural dyes to obtain a couple of colors I didn't have. Turmeric and black tea have worked beautifully. Haven't encountered any problems with curling.

2. Caitlin says:

Hi. and help! I am practicing on some thick yarn while I wait for my kit to arrive. I am tripped up at round 5. I cannot figure out why I have only 12 spaces for dc across the row between corners, the pattern says I should have 13. I have added up the pattern over and over… and it doesn't add up! Where does the 13th go? I took a photo to illustrate my confusion but I can't figure out how to post it here.

Any help appreciated!
    Thanks.

HI Jane,

Perfect! Yes, there's still time to give your inside squares a preventative soak. I'm not too worried about your Cashmerino which is not hand dyed and will probably hold its color (except maybe for very saturated colors), but your turmeric and black tea squares would probably bleed onto the borders if you don't treat them first. For such an unstable dye, you might consider using a Color Catcher which is made by Shout.

Thanks for asking and I'm so happy to hear that you just learned to crochet and that you're loving it! Yay!

HI Caitlin,

You're most likely starting your double crochets with the second instead of first stitch. You should be making this round's first dc into the first dc from the previous round's corner. It can be a little hard to see because this round's corner stitches cover it up a bit, but if you tug the corner stitches to the right, you should see a triangular space open up which is where your first dc goes.

Please let me know if I've misdiagnosed the problem and we'll work it out!

Thank you for your question!

5. Caitlin says:

Thanks for your reply Whitney. Yes, that was exactly my mistake and now they are coming out perfectly. My kit has arrived and I have made four successful squares… only 59 to go!

6. Molly says:

That is a beautiful Proyect !
    I am doing this blanket right now with only
    12 colors look great !
    My question is can I iron or press (carefully )
    Thanks
    Elisa

Hi Molly,

Yes, my best guess is that you can. I would definitely put a piece of linen or cotton fabric between the iron and your blanket and try a warm setting.

I'm glad you're happy with your project.Thanks for your question!

8. amy says:

hi there! i just started this blanket and have done 2 squares. I'm using the softest yarn I can find that is affordable (yarn bee, soft secret) which is absolutely lovely, but it's a medium weight (4). Is THAT the reason my squares are larger than 4.5"? My inside squares measure 4.5". I'm using the D sized hook and working as tightly as I can, but cant get it any smaller than about 6.5" for each full square. I have a feeling it wont look as great with larger squares, but this yarn is soooo amazingly soft, I am going to go with it anyway.

Hoping it's just the yarn weight … if you dont think that's it, let me know what I might be doing wrong!

Thank you!! Gorgeous blanket!

9. Maddy says:

Very generous of you to share your project and taking the time to write the directions for others to make this gorgeous blanket as well. I will begin today and looking forward to this colorful creative, most useful project. Thank you!!!!!

Hi Amy,

Yes, the reason your squares are bigger is because your yarn is bigger. Yours is a worsted weight yarn (size 4), whereas I used a fingering weight yarn (more like a size 1).

Using a size D hook with your yarn probably is making a pretty tight feeling square which means your finished blanket will be dense and maybe not very drapey. If you're happy with that look and feel, continue on!

Otherwise, you can either go up a few hook sizes (to maybe a G or H) and end up with bigger squares (and of course, a bigger blanket!), or you can find another yarn that's thinner and hopefully just as affordable!

I hope this info helps. Let us know if you have any other questions and thanks for this one!

Good luck,

11. Laura says:

Hi, I am really interested in making this blanket.
    Must be having a blonde moment… but what wiegth yarn is this?
    Would fingering (4 ply) yarn be ok for this?
    Thanks

Hi Laura-

It is fingering weight. 4 ply would work fine!

Thank you for your question!

Hi Danielle,

How mysterious! The problem could be almost anywhere, so here's a question: for Round 5, do you also have to skip a stitch to get 13 dc's along the side? If not, then the problem must be with that round. If so, then we'll have to troubleshoot further. Let me know; I'd like to get to the bottom of this!

Thanks for asking!

14. danielle says:

I started a little while ago on this lovely blanket. I find on almost all of my squares that where the pattern says crochet dc for 19, 23 stitches to the next corner that I have to skip a stitch after I have crocheted into the corner for it all to add up, otherwise I end up needing 20 dcs or 24'. The overall product still looks lovely. Any tips to what I may be doing incorrectly?

BTW – I am using a different yarn but similar weight and 1 hook size larger.

Thanks,
    Danielle

15. Vephee says:

Thank you for such a fantastic pattern. I have started it for my baby due in December. I have made a blanket for each of my kids before they were born and this one is for our last baby…….its the most fun I have had making, sshhhhh but don't tell the others ;)

Hi Dana,

Your question was accidentally lost during a recent site construction. Luckily, I had it on file. For curious readers, here's what you said…

I have been wanting to learn to crochet and now I want to more than ever. I LOVE this blanket for my daughter. Since I do not understand any of this lingo (yet) do you think this is an ok first project for me or will it just frustrate me?
    Dana

In answer to your question, it depends! If you're usually a pretty quick learner at things like this and have patience and perseverance, then yes! The square that makes up this design includes a little bit of all the basic stitches, so you'd definitely learn a lot.

If you're not up for a challenge, however, you might want to start with something a bit more basic, like our Fruity Trivets and Potholders: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2013/7/28/super-soft-merino-fruity-trivets-pot-holders.html

Whatever you decide, I hope you do learn to crochet. It's a ton of fun!

17. Jess says:

So, I am having a hard time counting the stitches in the round (I am brand new to crocheting). I always seem to come up with more stitches than I should have. Like on round 2 I come up with 34 instead of 32. I chain 3 and then start into the next stitch right next to the chain. I do like the pattern states and do 2 in each stitch and then 1 DC into the base of the chain – and I have 34 stitches. Do you know what I am doing wrong or do you know of a great website that could show me how to count? Thanks for the help.

Hi Jess,

For Round 2, I suspect that you're making the first pair of double crochets into the stitch at the base of the chain 3 rather than into the next stitch.

And in general, learning where to put your stitches so that the counts come out correctly is maybe the hardest part of learning how to crochet. While you're learning, I think it's helpful to plan the round before you do it. For Round 2, for example, study where you're going to put your 15 double crochet pairs and one chain 3-double crochet pair in order to make 32 stitches. You'll start to understand the structure of crochet better and will get a lot of good practice!

Please let me know if you have any more questions. Thank you for this one and good luck!

Whitney

19. Wonderfull! ..And what a patience!

20. amy z says:

I just finished this blanket for our 5th baby boy due in Dec, and am so proud of it. It is so gorgeous, I am using it as the main crib blanket for the room. I used simply soft and soft secret yarns from hobby lobby/joanns/michaels because they have so many color options for less expensive yarn, and they are nice and soft. i would have loved to use superwash wool, but am way too poor for that. :)

Thanks for this pattern. I will treasure this blanket forever!

21. Shelley says:

Help! My guage is going crazy! I am a beginner crochet'er and my first square came out at 4 3/4 inches, which I though was close enough, but now mt second square is 5 inches! I am guessing I am crocheting too loose, so should I just go down a hook size, or should I try to tighten up? If I go down a hook size, should I even use those squares in the blanket or would they just look wonky??

22. Frankie says:

Thank you for sharing this beautiful blanket! I'm making the smaller crib blanket due to the cost but suppose I could always add more squares to the blanket as the baby gets older (and I squirrel away more blanket money!).

I'm on 3/63 and loving every second.

Hi Shelley,

A quarter inch difference will definitely not be discernible in the finished blanket.

And as far as changing hook sizes, you could use a size smaller if you want, but it really depends on whether you like the look and feel of the squares you have. Since the blanket doesn't have to "fit", the gauge is more flexible than it would be for something like a sweater or hat. If you continue with the hook you're using, expect your finished blanket to be a bit bigger!

Thanks so much for asking and please let us know if you have any more questions!

24. Kira says:

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful pattern! I am thinking of tackling a variation of this blanket as my first crochet project for my new babe due in January, and was wondering about yarn choices. Mainly I am wondering if I can combine yarn types between then middle and outer parts? I have a bunch of dk baby bamboo colors left over from my first baby blanket, but would like to make this blanket a little fuzzier/softer/fluffier. What I would like to try is using the baby bamboo for the middle and then a bigger gauge perhaps like the Blue Sky Brushed Suri from your shop? Do you have a recommendation and if so could you also recommend the appropriate hook size as I have no experience.
    Thank you!!

Hi Kira,

You certainly can combine different yarns, but you do want to make sure that they are close in weight (or "gauge"), otherwise you may end up with some unpleasant problems, like buckling and stretching. If the bamboo you have is a DK weight, then the Blue Sky Suri Merino would most likely be a good partner (and probably not "a bigger gauge", as you suggest).

As for hook size, you'll want to use an F (or 4 mm) hook or thereabouts, depending on how tightly or loosely you crochet.

I'm very excited for you to embark on your crochet journey. Making a blanket for your baby is the best motivation! Good luck and please let us know if you have any more questions!

26. Rene says:

Hmmm….to be honest, I would probably sit it on my craft table and play with it for a week or so. I would look at all kinds of colour combos, sort them into groups, mix them up into crazy patterns.I would take lots of pictures of it and put it on Instagram so my non yarny friends would realise that I really am obsessed. Then I'd probably look at my Pinterest crochet board http://www.pinterest.com/ozhulagal/crochet-love/ where I have 840 options of things to make!! I am pretty keen on the 'Flowers in the Snow" afghan but can't buy Sport weight yarn in more than about 8 dull colours in Australia (I do have a US address by the way…just incase i win!). Im also pretty keen on the Mixed stripy blanket that Ive seen somewhere online……So I guess the next thing I would do is spend waaaaay too much time on the net looking for more options.
    By then it would be winter here again…..(June or July) then I would get started on something, not exactly sure what….I think I'd have to play with the colours a bit more before I could make a final decision!!!

27. Lily says:

Awesome pattern! It's so hard to find good crochet patterns on the internet, which seems to be ruled by knitting. The more crochet patterns, especially blankets, the better!!

28. gina says:

Hi there! I was curious if it would be OK if I used a larger HOOK for this blanket? What are your thoughts on that?

thank you!!! I can't wait to get started :)

Hi Gina,

If you are using one of our kits, you should use whatever size hook produces a square that is 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches. Otherwise, you could run out of yarn.

If you're using some other kind of yarn or your own collection of Koigu KPM, then you should use whatever size hook makes fabric that you like! Maybe you're a tight crocheter; or maybe you would prefer a looser fabric than I made. Either way, feel free to experiment with different hooks until you like what you get!

Thanks for asking and good luck!

30. Autumn says:

When will you have full kits available again? I am hoping to split this with a friend and we will make 2 full size and 2 crib blankets total. Does that mean I should order 23 extra skeins of the white? Thanks so much!

Hi Autumn-

Please contact customerservice AT purlsoho DOT com and they can help you with this.

Thanks so much for getting in touch!

32. Linda says:

I want to make a lap afghan to use in our den from this pattern and wonder if your sizing would be too large for this purpose. If so, what would you suggest?

Hi Linda-

The finished size 40 X 54 which seems like a nice throw blanket size to me. But if you would like something smaller or in different dimension please read the section of this pattern called "Designing your own Blanket" and you can make any size you like!

Thanks so much for writing in!

34. Linda says:

Hi, Molly,

I've decided to make the 40×50 blanket for my daughter. She likes autumn colors in subtle shades, nothing bright or too bold. She mentioned brick red, sage green, burnt oranges, and blue. I'm not so sure about the blue. I am having trouble locating enough colors locally to visualize the blanket. I want to use no more than 11 or 12 different colors for the inside squares and a neutral for the borders. Is there another neutral that would be better suited to this color scheme, or is 00 ideal? Some of the colors I like in your finished blanket are not listed for purchase. Can you help me by suggesting some colors that would work with this plan? I find it near impossible to choose without seeing the yarns in a grouping in the flesh! Thank you in advance for your help with this project. I can't wait to get started!

Hi Linda,

Beautiful idea! I found a really gorgeous palette for you at the store, so they are all currently available there, and most of them are also available on line. Feel free to call the store at (212) 420-8796 if you'd like to order from them!

The colors are 1200, 2229, 2200, 1220, 1239, 4005, 1233, 2343, 2341, and 2335. And for the border the 00 (ecru) would be nice, or try 2390.5 for another beautiful option!

Please let us know if you have any other questions and thanks for this fun one!

36. ella says:

Hi there- when you suggest a white vinegar bath, how long do you recommend soaking and in terms of rinsing, I assume just warm water?
    thanks!

Hi Ella,

I've always let my yarn soak in the vinegar bath for an hour or two, but researching an answer for you, I see that some reliable sources suggest overnight. You learn something new every day!

And, yes, warm water is fine for rinsing. I also throw some Soak soap in there because it doesn't need rinsing and it eliminates the vinegar smell. Soak can be found right here: http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/products/105-notions-tools-accessories?company=240

Thanks for asking and good luck!

38. kellie says:

This is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!!

39. Ann says:

I just wanted to thank you for this project. Somehow, I have completed it using only leftovers (10 years of knitting + my friend's nan's leftovers!), and it makes me truly happy. I would never, ever have thought of such a simple, effective and beautiful design.

Ann

40. Jess says:

I am currently making the crib size blanket in the Kitchen Garden colors. I was thinking about making the blanket a little bit bigger and was trying to figure out some other colors that might go well with the current color scheme. Any ideas?

Hi Jess-

This sounds like a lovely idea! If you email customerservice AT purlsoho DOT com they will be happy to help you with picking out extra colors.

42. Mary says:

Hello!
    I was wondering if the complete rainbow blanket kits will be available for purchase again in the future? Thank you!
    -Mary :)

Hi Mary-

Please send customerservice AT purlsoho DOT com an email about this and they'll be happy to let you know when we expect more in stock!

Thank you for getting in touch!

44. KendreaB says:

Hi, I want to reply to all the people asking for a similar knitting pattern. I didn't take the time to look through all the comments to see if someone wrote this already, but ANYWAY, the POP blanket by tincanknits has a very similar look. However, it may be somewhat advanced (it involves knitting squares from the center out).
    Hope this helps!
    Lovely blanket and tutorial!!! Thanks!

45. agns says:

Thank you so much for this beautiful blanket and … the way of crocheting it … Is that good in english? I'm french and I am afraid of making mistakes ;o)
    I'll try to show you the blanket I'm going to begin …
    Thank you !

46. leslie says:

hello whitney, although i don't crochet i am a rainbow-a-holic and NEED this blanket. as other readers have mentioned it is very expensive. but after researching other yarns i decided i just have to use kpm. since i figure it will take an eternity to make the blanket anyway i plan to purchase the 12 (yes an extra) of the 00 and buy a handful of the colors as i can. but looking at the current stock of colors it doesn't seem as extensive as the range you used in bear's blanket. and what is the second set of parenthesis in the color mean? thanks, leslie

47. leslie says:

oops, not the second set, the first.

48. leslie says:

hello again whitney, further reading the design your own section i decided to look at the needlepoint yarn selection. now we are talking about broad spectrum color! is this yarn the same as the yarn in the knitting section except in smaller packaging, in otherwords can i buy my 12 skeins of 00 from the knitting selection and go crazy picking the inside colors from the needlepoint selection? please say yes. leslie

Hi Leslie,

Yes!! The needlepoint yarn is exactly the same as the 175-yard skeins! Also, to answer your other question about the number in parentheses, that is the dye lot. Koigu's dye lots are often quite different from each other, so we like to let people know which lots are available in case they're trying to get more of what they already have.

Good luck with your Rainbow Blanket. I'm so glad you've found a yarn and color solution that works for you!

50. Lois says:

Hello!
    I would like to do this beautiful blanket in worsted weight yarn. Can you recommend the correct hook size to use? Also, how big do you think will the squares will end up being? Thanks,
    Lois